Wolves in Colorado

Yeah, I would suspect as much as well. Hopefully they manage to only stay on HL and eat the elk there!

There are wolves in the eagles nest, the fish and game won't deny it. Also if there are wolves on this ranch and people think they are going to stay there and not move into other areas your kidding youself. Not good for CO in my opinion. Look at what the elk herds in idaho have done since the reinterduction of wolves.

In 2003, My dad was hunting Cow elk in GMU 66 during 4th season. I went along for the ride. I remember there was a bunch of snow and it was in the negative teens for a few days. We had spent most of the day in the northern part of the unit and with no luck, decided to move and hunt near Lake City. We took the Alpine Loop out of Lake City and after a few miles, we were no longer able to drive. We hopped out of the truck and began walking. Our tire and foot tracks were the only ones in the snow. Long story short, as we're walking on the north side of Henson Creek, we were accompanied by two very large canines on the south side. They were not frightened of us. They seemed to walk and stop as we did and they watched very intently. They were too large to be coyotes or domestic dogs. One was charcoal color and one was black/gray. Hopefully there is someone else that could substantiate my claim. I know CO DOW has refused to admit there may be wolves in that country. Who knows, maybe they were the biggest coyotes ever with really nice winter coats!

Jim

Jgriff82 the 66 sighting, hope you shot them,don't answer.
There is a few folks in that area who have been dumping hybrid's for years. They have a poor survival rate??

DW hope your spot on with your bet.. The pic's I saw look pretty wolfy....

As for the 3'S skip the shovel. Don't even walk up to them. Don't tell your best buddy, don't tell your wife...Shoot and SHUT UP.

LAST EDITED ON May-19-15 AT 01:47PM (MST)[p]>Jgriff82 the 66 sighting,
>hope you shot them,don't answer.
>
>There is a few folks in
>that area who have been
>dumping hybrid's for years.
> They have a poor
>survival rate??
>
>DW hope your spot on with
>your bet.. The pic's
>I saw look pretty wolfy....
>
>
>As for the 3'S skip the
>shovel. Don't even walk
>up to them. Don't
>tell your best buddy, don't
>tell your wife...Shoot and SHUT
>UP.
>

Also..........Don't talk about it on forums.

That story is over 5 years old. They never did have any test positive for DNA. Those articles are all from the 2010 time frame and were meant and written to fight de-listing. I just hope we can count on WY and Utah and Idaho to shoot em all first!

Then we can pick off the few that straggle in...

I know I have seen 1. Up in unit 8 about 1/2 mile from Wyo. When it ran in front of us on the two track trail all we could do was look at each other and say Wolf!! 2-3 times the size of any Coyote I ever trapped or shot.

>The link I posted is from
>a news article from a
>local TV channel today

Yeah... I was responding to the first one... Ultimately they are here and have came and went. Hopefully we can just avoid the establishment of a pack!

According to the below site, a wolf was shot near Kremmling several weeks ago.

http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/regional/thread.cfm?threadid=222965&MESSAGES=21&state=Co

I talked to someone close to the situation and the powers that be are not letting them talk about it. It seems they want official confirmation and a unified statement prior to talking. Honestly, due to the politically charged nature of this topic, do you blame them?

I was also told the DNA analysis is not to determine if it is a coyote or wolf; it is to determine if it is hybrid or a wolf of wild decent. Obviously the result will produce a very different response. I hope this helps.

Post 9 DW the pic saw was on Colo Mule Deer Ass Face Book page.
now same pic is on Bow site.

Post 10 Muley. Point taken! you are right. I am a little cranky with draw results right now... Don't really care for any thing with fangs....
Don't really care for those who do like things with fangs...

Now I'm going to practice my shut up.

Thanx tomichi. Just went and checked it,that's no coyote obviously. Hopefully just a hybrid.

I like how they use the term "just visiting the state". Like wolves frequently take vactations to different places, but never move there for any lengthy period of time.
In my opinion, if you see one, you are only seeing a very small % of the number that are actually there.
I have talked to several outfitters in WY that have simply closed shop because they can no longer support their families because they can no longer find any quality bulls for their clients.
This will be the same fate for any state/area that holds a pack of wolves for any sustained period of time.
These wolves are born killers, period. They will devastate the elk herds and then move on to the next one. This is an economic travesty and one that affects many people and their livelihoods. I realize the wolf lovers could care less about that fact, but it's sad that such a small group of activists could produce such a devastating impact on our wildlife.
I talked to a guy from USU who worked with researchers who tracked and monitored the wolves, and he said they tracked one wolf that made it from Yellowstone Park all the way to NY in one week. So, if you think they are just confined to a handful of states, you are fooling yourself. He also said that wolves never stay still for more than an hour or two, so if those monitoring them see that they have not moved at all after that amount of time, they go looking for them.
His advice - "gut shoot em'".

>I like how they use the
>term "just visiting the state".
> Like wolves frequently take
>vactations to different places, but
>never move there for any
>lengthy period of time.
>In my opinion, if you see
>one, you are only seeing
>a very small % of
>the number that are actually
>there.
>I have talked to several outfitters
>in WY that have simply
>closed shop because they can
>no longer support their families
>because they can no longer
>find any quality bulls for
>their clients.
>This will be the same fate
>for any state/area that holds
>a pack of wolves for
>any sustained period of time.
>
>These wolves are born killers, period.
> They will devastate the
>elk herds and then move
>on to the next one.
> This is an economic
>travesty and one that affects
>many people and their livelihoods.
> I realize the wolf
>lovers could care less about
>that fact, but it's sad
>that such a small group
>of activists could produce such
>a devastating impact on our
>wildlife.
>I talked to a guy from
>USU who worked with researchers
>who tracked and monitored the
>wolves, and he said they
>tracked one wolf that made
>it from Yellowstone Park all
>the way to NY in
>one week. So, if
>you think they are just
>confined to a handful of
>states, you are fooling yourself.
> He also said that
>wolves never stay still for
>more than an hour or
>two, so if those monitoring
>them see that they have
>not moved at all after
>that amount of time, they
>go looking for them.
>His advice - "gut shoot em'".
>

Bingo!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom