Wolves

NOT BUYING THAT STUDY......WOLVES HUNT 365 DAYS A YEAR.....DAY/ AND NIGHT. JUST THE PRESENCE OF WOLVES CHANGE ELK BEHAVIOR/HABITS/CALVING RATES.

NICE TRY WOLF LOVERS.....................YD.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-12-12 AT 11:24AM (MST)[p]So the basisi of this information was on the attempt to collar 30 elk per hunt unit, and those 30 elk are considered a representative of the total numbers? How is that even statistically significant.

Also do you think that maybe, just maybe the report was to help Idaho get Nonresident hunters back? The article mentions that nearly 3 out of 10 NR hunters would not return due to the effect that wolves are having on the elk numbers? So the real motivation behind the state report is to encourage NR hunters to comeback by stating that the wolves are not that bad... However this person then just took that report and used it against the state..

Wolves are a significant source of predation and not limiting their numbers will only make it worse.

Here is my response to the letter...

I am pretty certain that I lost IQ points as I read that nonsense... So the study was done over 4 years ago. It was obviously done in an attempt to re-insure the NR hunters that the elk were still good and the wolves really are not that bad... The most disturbing part is they attempted to trap 30 elk in each unit (but they failed to and would not say how many they caught)... Could it be they had a hard time finding 30 elk themselves? But even if they did trap all the elk they had hoped, they were really only studying about 300 elk of an estimated 103,000 elk in the state... that means they are making general statements about state wide elk numbers based on only .3 percent of the entire elk population... Wow really? Since wolf reintroduction we have Idaho Herd number decrease by 27,000 elk. This is done despite there being fewer tags etc.

No matter how you look at it, wolves kill elk, they do it 24 hours a day 365 days a year... It is what they do and really know nothing else. As a result the presence of wolves will reduce the number of the prey in an area.

Also the Biologist quoted in the paper is an idiot. Of course no prey animal has completely wiped out all the prey, but they will thin it down so much that they will find something to replace it... Can we say sheep, cattle, horses, pets, etc...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom