Wolves

BPKHunter

Very Active Member
Since only a few late cow/muzzy/etc seasons remain for ungulates, it's obviousl that wolf hunting will start to get more attention, as evidenced by the recent posts.

Looks like just over 150 wolves have been taken, or at least reported, season to date. http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/hunt/?getPage=121

Sure hope people will share their experiences. I imagine with the winter blast and fresh snow blanketing the state, right now is a good time to be hunting. It's also a good time for those out bird hunting, snowmobiling, etc. who are running into wolves or sign to share with others willing to brave the negative temps to chase them.

One last tidbit, remember to all that your 2013 wolf tag is NO good after 12-31-13 and a new one must be purchased.

I'd like to think the wolf hunting for 3 of the past 4 years has helped, I sure heard a lot of reports about elk and most were better than before the wolf hunts.

So step up if you have anything to share or say regarding Idaho wolf hunting....

We need to get that recent wolf sightings thread going again. I know I would be more apt to take what little time I've got off to go find one I had a solid starting point. Maybe I'll try finding it good luck to anyone who goes out:)

I've just decided to make it a personal quest to kill a wolf.
The plan is to hunt 7-10 days in January or February every year until I kill one... and then continue until as long as I legally can.
Information sharing will be the key to success and I will do so myself as I gain some smarts.
There are guys out there with vastly more wolf knowledge than me but I'll share my experiences, methods and places as I gain knowledge.
Hopefully we can get some cooperation from a few landowners too. When it comes to other big game some owners look at the dollars only while some will be willing to help kill a few wolves without charging a high trespass fee. Maybe there's plenty of public without worrying about private land. I just don't have any answers yet.
Some of us dummies want to figure things out.
Good luck to us all!
Zeke

>Maybe there's plenty of
>public without worrying about private
>land.

I wouldn't worry about private land access. We see plenty of sign on public land. Of course you hear about the wolves harassing livestock but often times it seems these encounters are at night, not always, but typically. I think the wolves are smart enough to know not to dwell on the ranches and farms for too long, but rather above them in the hills. Of course there are exceptions to the rule.

I like your enthusiasm, as it seems to be contagious across the forums this year. It is a great thing. Unfortunately, GPS coordinates of a wolf harvest won't guarantee a thing when it comes to advice, but your chances of finding one are just as high as the residents if you spend your time out there. As long as you are in elk country in ID, I think you stand a good chance to cut some fresh sign and with lots of luck, see one. That's about the best advice I personally know of at the moment...

I think sharing either sightings or extremely fresh sign is the most help. While wolves can cover a very large range, I do believe when they are on a prey source, ie wintering elk, they will keep a pattern. I think you still need to get lucky to be within howling distance.

I plan to take my pup's chukar hunting up north of Squaw Butte this weekend, which is the last place I ran into wolves, but that was 3 years ago. My long range 7mm will be on my shoulder just in case.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom