Wolves

TOPGUN

Long Time Member
Press Release
2015 Northern Rocky Mountain Wolf Numbers Show Population Remains Stable, Self-Sustaining and Far Above Recovery Levels
April 1, 2016

Contact(s):
Vanessa Kauffman, 703-358-2138, [email protected]

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, in collaboration with other federal, state and tribal agencies, is announcing the 2015 Northern Rocky Mountain (NRM) gray wolf population numbers. This annual report is conducted as part of the Service?s work to monitor the NRM wolf population to ensure that it continues to exceed recovery goals under professional state management.

The NRM wolf population continues to be robust, stable and self-sustaining. As of December 31, 2015, there were at least 1,704 wolves in 282 packs (including 95 breeding pairs) in Montana, Idaho and Wyoming. The wolf population has exceeded recovery goals identified by the Service and partner biologists since 2002. Wolves continue to expand their range westward in eastern Oregon and Washington. An additional 200 wolves in 34 packs (including 19 breeding pairs) were estimated in Oregon and Washington.

Minimum management targets for the NRM population are 15 breeding pairs and 150 wolves in each state of Montana, Idaho and Wyoming. Based on minimum counts, Idaho estimated 786 wolves in 108 packs (33 breeding pairs); Montana, 536 wolves in 126 packs (32 breeding pairs); and Wyoming, 382 wolves in 48 packs (30 breeding pairs). Oregon estimated 110 wolves in 16 packs with 11 breeding pairs and Washington, 90 wolves in 18 packs with eight breeding pairs. The total wolf population in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Oregon and Washington was estimated to be 1,904 wolves.

Montana and Idaho are doing their best to keep populations in check. Wyoming is getting empty promises from Barasso, Lummis and Enzi. There are two pieces of legislation pending in the U.S. Senate (S 659 and S 2012)with amendments delisting the wolf in Wyoming. They never seem to be voted on. The last Wyoming wolf case decided by Amy Berman Jackson in the Federal District Court for D.C. is in sitting in no mans land. I do note that the wolf population seems to be way up in Wyoming in this latest count. However, the wolf population in YNP is down.

YNP population is probably down due to them having to leave the Park to find enough game to survive! I think we're peeing up a rope if we think those Bills will ever pass to delist them, but maybe I'm wrong.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-05-16 AT 08:09PM (MST)[p]Let's not forget that Northern CA. now has a breeding pair here. So it's just a matter of time and we'll be right up there with the rest of the West.

I also believe that the "estimates" for Washington and Oregon are low. Seems like I just read another report on WA wolves, and what I remember was a higher number than this, but I would have to go back and see if I can find it again.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom