Wood Arrows

huntswnm

LAST EDITED ON Jun-21-05 AT 03:06PM (MST)[p]Has anyone ever tried shooting wood arrows off of a compound bow? If so how was it, or if not what is your opinion on it?
Also, I shoot a wisker bisquit....can you shoot a helical flethcing through one of these?
Jeff

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, weapon in one hand, calls in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Never shot wood arrows out of a compound. Just out of curiosity, why do you want to shoot wood? Also, yes you can shoot helical through a whisker biscuit.

Six is right on here. NOT a good idea to shoot woods out of today's modern day compounds. Too much energy stored and delivered to the arrow to hold up, IMO. Furthermore, since woods are grown and not manmade (manufactured) they are VERY difficult to note weak spots or spines throughout the shaft. You usually won't locate it until it blows up on release. :)

When I shoot my recurves, WOOD is GOOD! Hope it helps and good luck.

BOHNTR )))---------->

Thanks,
I had just read an article on heavy hunting arrow set ups and it had mentioned that some of the heaviest arrows, with smaller diameter, are hickory arrows. This was a traditional bow magazine, but was just wondering in anyone ever used woods with compounds. This guy was shooting like a 650gr arrow set up off a 50lb recurve.
Thanks
Jeff

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, weapon in one hand, calls in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

There is a couple companys offering VERY HEAVY carbon or carbon mix shafts now. One company I know is out of Alaska. They also make "weight" inserts for the inside of some carbon arrows.
Bittersweet

What is the company name?? Is there a website?
Thanks
Jeff

Ill find the Alaska companys contact for you. A freind just ordered from them. Also ask your local pro shop whats avaliable.
Bittersweet

Don't even think about shooting wood arrows out of your compound, that's just asking for a trip to the emergency room! The torque will possibly snap the shaft in half and send it through your hand.

Here's the link for the Grizzlystik shafts that Bittersweet was referring to.

http://www.alaskabowhunting.com/

treekiller

Thanks guys,
I appreciate the help!
Jeff

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom