wood stove questions?

Utah400Elk

Very Active Member
I just purchased a Cabelas 12x12 Alaknak tent and want to use a wood stove for heat. I am thinking about the Cylinder Stove Outfitter. I will be purchasing the roof protector and the better spark arrestor. I am also thinking of their stack robber (with a few modifications after reading the reviews. Does anybody use this combo and have you found a good way to keep the hot embers off the tent? What fuels work best (i.e. wood, coal or charcoal)? I have just learned I should try and keep the chimney about six feet above the tent. Anybody else have any different experiences?

LAST EDITED ON Jul-12-09 AT 10:30PM (MST)[p]Pellet stove. NO EMBERS. No heat on stove pipe. 40 pound bag lasts 16 hours. No chopping firewood.

You have to shop around though. A friend bought one that only runs 4 hours and then needs cleaning and refueling........it sucks on a cold fall hunt.

I have the same tent. You have to use the roof protection, But when the wind blows it has blown some embers past the protector. I guess you just have to patch the little holes or don't burn chopped wood?
I have cabelas little square silver stove and a cylinder stove from cedar city.
I think the cylinder stove works better, Thicker.
Tryed the buddie heater, it would only stay on low and not high . It would go out all of the time and had to be relight. They don't like the altitude and aren't much good above 8000 ft. Hope this helps ?
P.s you know the tent has plenty of ventalation, It wasn't the o2 sensor.

I have the 12X20 Alanak with the medium sized cylinder stove and the stack robber setup, works great and no complaints. I would think coal would be kinda dirty but have never tried it either. We always bring some good hard wood with us when we are road camping, stuff a couple of pieces in the stove just before lights out and it will last much longer than the pine or aspen.

I have that same tent with the roof flap and the outfitter stove mine works great that tent is not big enough for any bigger stove mine stays plenty warm and ive stayed in it in some dam cold weather i take a five gallon bucket of lump coal put a couple of lumps in when we go to bed works good

Coal? I thought they stopped doing that like 150 years ago. Don't they just use that for electricity plants back East, like in West Virgina? I might have seen some on a train in Wyoming. Can you buy it on Ebay? Coal, that sounds like an interesting idea. Isn't Obama making green coal now?
Actually, I have a propane heater that works great!
-- Bob

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom