Would this be a big antelope?

D

DeerKing

fa84424b.jpg

What do you think this little buck would score? Only altering of the photo was the guys face.

Looks good and long, but can't tell how big around. I would say big goat. I have only ever shot three tho.

That buck does look long. His prongs look to be good from this angle, too. His mass looks weak. I'm not gonna even try and guess a score from only one view. Do you have any other pictures? Where was the buck taken?

If I were to see him while hunting I would tell you exactly what he scored after I ground checked that toad. LOL

Drummond

Very nice buck. I would like to see a side view. Looking at him from the front it is hard to tell but I would guess around the 83 or 84 mark net. How big is it?

Maybe I dont know my antelope, but that lope is absolutely huge!! Am I way off base when I say he is pushing 18 inches or even more?? I have seen 17 inch antelope on the ground and it was smaller than that.....how big is he really?

From this photo that looks like an exceptional trophy pronghorn. I'm not so sure he has "weak mass", it could, but take a look at the position of the hunter's fingers on the left horn. Doesn't it look like his fingertips just get to the front on the horn surface? If so, and the back of the horn is against his palm and his thumb is nowhere near halfway on the inside portion of the horn, well then your looking at a big buck. His mass above the prongs look pretty damn good too, it certainly isn't thin or willowy IMO.

Sorry about the weak mass comment. I should have claified that...I meant it looks like weak mass for a big buck. In my mind weak mass for a small buck and a big buck are two different things. Also, I'm talking about mass for Arizona and New Mexico bucks. The other states are a bit different.

Also, that guys hand is upside down on the horn. I can see his thumb behind the horn and his fingers on the front of the horn. I can also see a gap between the palm of his hand and the horn surface. To me this doesn't mean anything about the mass of the horn. Had the man put his hand around the horn and tried to touch his finger tips than it might have led me to believe one way or another. Also, it still may have been misleading because everyone's hands are different sizes.

That's just my opinion...I could be wrong.

Nontypical23 is correct about the length, I was told it was a legit 18+ inches. I'm trying to get more info on it and pictures showing more angles. It was taken in Montana. Don't know score.

I'm not taking sides here but I would agree with Cleric that it is weak on mass especially above the prong. It is a magnificent buck and would like to see it on my wall anyday !
I have a neighbor that has an impressive looking buck that is 18 3/4 but with weak mass and little prongs this buck only scores around the 75 inch mark.
Just to do some comparisons
The first buck my wife killed is 13 1/2 in length and scores 80 2/8 because of it's mass but is not near as impressive looking as the 18 3/4 inch buck down the street. "If it ain't got mass, it aint got score" regardless of how long it is.
I would guess from the buck in this picture looking at the mass above the prong that the bases may only be around six inches(speculation)which is still good. Usually I have found if they have big bases the mass follows up above the prong , but not always.
Also not everyone grabs the base of the horn the same way right up against the curve of the hand so you cannot assume this buck has bases that big. And it depends on how you grab the base.I have an average size hand and my fingertips touch wrapping my hand around the base of my wife's "Booner" buck and it has a 7 inch base and is 4 1/2 above the prong. I have not seen many bucks with bases much over 1/2 inch bigger than that.You can see and compare those numbers in the book.
Man I love talking antelope!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-21-03 AT 01:47PM (MST)[p]blah, blah, blah... Easily as big around as a beer can and, pretty long too!

"not very heavy above the prong", looks like its about twice as wide as his fingers... Thats pretty heavy to me

That is an exceptional goat!

Thanks for posting
Ivan

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom