Would you take the shot?

Founder

Founder Since 1999
He's bedded there at 58 yards. Would you send an arrow? Wait for him to stand? Or is he just too small?

9.jpg

I had a very similar, 58 yard shot on a solid buck in Wyoming. The shot felt perfect and I thought he was unaware. By the time the arrow reached him, he was on his feet and it stuck into the dirt in his bed. My wife had been watching from across the canyon and says the rest of the bachelor herd stood up and had me pegged when I drew..he was probably on high alert but playing it cool like big deer do.

In hindsight..I’d take the shot again. Maybe next time he won’t get out of the way..

I can't tell what's behind him. If for some reason the shot went high, some poor, unsuspecting fellow stalking in on him from the other side of the ridge might get my mistake stuck in them.... that one makes me nervous. No for me.

I'd like to say he needs another year but no way I'm passing that deer.

That shot angle and bedded at 58 is a little out of my personal comfort zone.

58 yards is a long shot.

Even if he was standing, I would likely pass.

Thats just too far for me with my bow to have any kind of self-guaranteed good result on a deer sized kill zone. Just my opinion.

I would wait tell he stood and stretched and then let it go.

Last edited:
No.

When he gets up I want to take a long look at him. I think he's a little young but hard to tell with this view. He has a better than average frame.

If he stands up and he's a youngster he's probably a 160s type buck. If he is some monster bodied old-timer then he's gonna scare 180.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom