Wounded Buck, Kid's Tag?

COSA

LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-07 AT 07:53PM (MST)[p]My daughter shot a buck in the butt from 220 yds, he looked pretty hurt. We circled a around, waited about a half hour, and jumped him again at 200 yards "running". She shot 4 more times (all misses). Tracked him for 1.5 more miles, the blood almost nonexistent by then, and lost him in a multitude if melted snow/other deer tracks. Should I have taken the rifle and killed the buck after he was wounded? I'm know I could have, but I wanted her to kill it.

FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!

YOU SHOULD OF PUT HIM OUT OF HIS MISERY!!!

AND I DON'T CARE WHAT THE WARDEN SAYS!!!

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

Same scenerio basically that i had two years ago with my son.
I pondered it for as long as my concience allowed me too, then my 6th sense (not always "common" sense but i like to reffer to it as that on special occasions) kicked in and took over.
The deer suffered no more and even my son was happy.

it all amounts to what you feel good about.
Myself....i'd have been happy to stand in front of a judge and talk to him about "ethics".

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

THERE COMES A TIME WHEN YOU HAVE TO DO THE MOST ETHICAL THING POSSIBLE!!!

I CAN'T STAND TO SEE ANOTHER WOUNDED DEER EATEN ALIVE BY A BUNCH OF COYOTES!!!

I SURE HOPE YOU CAN GO BACK TOMORROW & RECOVER THE ANIMAL???

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

COSA, it's always sad to have an experience like that. However, I bet your daughter learned a very valuable lesson and that is hunting isn't always glamorous; sometimes it's violent and bloody. If she can work through those issues it will make her a better person and sportsman. I doubt there is anyone on this web site that hasn't had a similar experience. The most important thing is she got to go hunting with her dad. As for being a backup shooter ... that's up to you. I'm not sure what kind of message that would send to your daughter.

Just my thoughts.

RUS

>COSA, it's always sad to have
>an experience like that. However,
>I bet your daughter learned
>a very valuable lesson and
>that is hunting isn't always
>glamorous; sometimes it's violent and
>bloody. If she can work
>through those issues it will
>make her a better person
>and sportsman. I doubt there
>is anyone on this web
>site that hasn't had a
>similar experience. The most important
>thing is she got to
>go hunting with her dad.
>As for being a backup
>shooter ... that's up to
>you. I'm not sure what
>kind of message that would
>send to your daughter.
>
>Just my thoughts.
>
>RUS

+1
I would have to agree. If you you would have shot, then what happens the next time. Does she think will even if I dont kill it, dad will. That is just as bad if not worse than a wounded deer that will likely end up feeding the other animals. Yea it sucks that you were not able to recover the buck, but I bet the next time she hunts she will be more aware of her shot. I think I would have done the same thing. Lifes leasons are sometimes hard, and she no doubt learned one with that experience.

Just my .02 worth.
DeadI/Jared
46e8aeb1660028c5.gif

Tough one for sure I would have to say no for shooting her deer. I guess just work harder and longer getting into the right situation so the first or second shot is where it is supposed to be. I have not let my kids shoot at deer unless it is exactly what I know they can do. There is always that just bad shot by excitement or whatever but that is a life lesson. For me as bad feeling as it is for the wounded deer I would rather my daughter learn the lessons then learn how it feels to have someone else shoot her deer.

Hindsight being 20/20, I should have shot him. At the time I thought he was hit pretty well, and wanted her to harvest it by herself. I had decided to shoot him myself after that, but unfortunately lost the trail. Still have that sick feeling in my stomach today.

I'm going to try and help the way you feel about your choice!!
The first deer I shot I made a terrible shot!! I was hunting heavy timber, and deer started bouncing through tiny gaps, I made out a buck, and picked a lane, as soon as he bounced into my scope I pulled the trigger, and then I heard the crash! I remember thinking it's over!!! Went to the spot where he crashed, just blood. I started tracking (first time ever), I noticed on his front steps there was something flooping next to them, then I realized what I did!!! I hit him right above the knee!! I knew he was suffering terribly bad and it made me litteraly sick, I couldn't believe what I had done to an animal that I truely admire!! I followed him for about a mile and then the blood stopped, so now I was just tracking the flooping limb in the snow, I jumped him twice when he tried to lay down, I didn't even get a shot, he scared the bejesus out of me both times!! He ran by 2 different sets of hunters and they had no idea there was deer in their line of sight!! He crossed the East Fork of the Bear 3 times, and each time I found and picked up his trail, pretty easy considering the constant reminder of what I had done, the flooping limb!! I shot this deer just after first light, and finaly just as it was starting to get dark I came over a little knoll and there he was, he surrendered himself to me, and I could see it in his eyes, and his ears!! I took him out fast!! It was still a sick feeling, but a lot of satisfaction knowing that it was over for both him and I!!

Now how is this supposed to help you? I was the same age as your kid!! I learned what these animals are capable of, it truely amazes me!! I learned that all animals deserve our total respect, and that goes for the way we harvast them, take good percise shots!! And I also learned to not give up!!!! And to me the most important thing is the fact I have not done this since!!
My dad could have finished this deer for me right after the first shot, but he thought the same thing you did. He didn't notice the leg, he seen it go down and then get up and take off, but he thought it was my deer and I needed to finish it!!

All I'm trying to say is that yea it sucks that this didn't work out as far as getting this animal home, but your kid learned something that I will gaurantee will stay with them for the rest of their lives!! Tough first lesson, but a good one!!

Bad shots happen!! But I will bet the shots will be better and more thought out now!!

I really hope this helps you!!

Work to hunt!! Live to hunt!! And the rest spent keeping the wife happy!!

I'LL GET JUMPED ON THIS ONE BUT THATS O.K.!!!

I'VE HELPED HUNTERS WHEN I COULD RECOVER/TRY AND RECOVER ANIMALS THAT WERE WOUNDED!!!

FOUND SOME!!!

LOST SOME!!!

WHEN THE WEATHER IS EXCEPTIONALLY GOOD/WARM WHAT ELSE COULD OR SHOULD I BE DOING ANYWAY???

I REMEMBER A BUCK THAT TOOK ME 3 DAYS TO FIND FOR A GUY THAT WAS AN OLDER GUY AND AFTER THE FIRST DAY THE OLE BOY JUST COULDN'T GO ANY FURTHER!!!

HE WAS WOUND UP 3 DAYS LATER WHEN I FOUND HIM & TOLD HIM I'D FOUND THE BUCK!!!

THE SAD PART WAS THE MEAT HAD SPOILED!!!

THIS OLE BOY PULLED HIS TAG OUT OF HIS POCKET & SAID:I'D LIKE TO SHOW YOU SOMETHING SONNY,HE PULLS HIS TAG OUT & HE'D PUNCHED IT THE DAY HE WOUNDED THAT BUCK,TO ME THAT SHOWED ME HE WAS A TRUE SPORTSMAN,HE WAS DONE & NO WAY IN HELL HE WAS GONNA SHOOT ANOTHER DEER THAT YEAR,HE REALLY FELT BAD ABOUT NOT BEING PHYSICALLY ABLE ENOUGH TO HIKE OFF INTO THE HOLE WHERE I FOUND THE BUCK,WHEN I BROUGHT THE HORNS OUT FOR HIM I COULD ALMOST SEE TEARS IN HIS EYES,HE WAS ONE HAPPY HUNTER!!!

HE ASKED ME WHAT HE OWED ME???

I SAID A BETTER SHOT NEXT TIME IF POSSIBLE,SHOOK HIS HAND & I WENT BACK TO HUNTING,IT COST ME NEARLY 3 DAYS OF MY HUNT BUT OH WELL!!!

SO THERE COMES A TIME WHEN WE MUST ALL COWBOY-UP & BE A MAN OR A WOMAN AND SAY WELL I WOUNDED AN ANIMAL,I'M DONE,I MIGHT AS WELL PUNCH MY TAG SO TO SPEAK!!!

TRUE SPORTSMEN & SPORTSWOMEN WILL DO THIS WITH PRIDE!!!

WELL COSA I SURE HOPE YOUR DAUGHTER HAS BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME WITH A BETTER PLACED SHOT!!!

TELL HER THE OLE cat SAID TO HANG IN THERE & PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE!!!

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

bobcat, thats a commendable story and point of view.

if you were to shoot her deer, she would know that she dind't do what was required, and you being the teacher had to fill in. she will either quit hunting or become the best darn hunter her dad taught her to be.

beat this

Excellent story BESS, thanks for sharing that!!
To have a hunter punch his tag on his own free will that day he hit that buck, is a "true sportsman"...no doubt a bout it.
Not only true to that animal but also true to himself.
I'd like to shake the hand of that man!!

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

LAST EDITED ON Oct-07-07 AT 07:38PM (MST)[p]I lived this same story about killing your first deer, COSA. My first deer hunt was on Fort Hunter Ligget here in Cali. I was twelve and it was an antlerless hunt. My Dad and I saw some does on a hill about 150 yards away. I had a good rest and shot. I missed. The doe just stood there. The second shot..I missed. The doe just stood there. My Dad said that I had hit her and to shoot again. I shot again and there was no visible reaction that I hit her. My Dad ended up shooting her and putting her down (he also had an antlerless tag). To this day he claims that I connected on the second shot. Deep down in my heart, I don't think I hit her but my Dad swears I did. Maybe he wanted me to feel good about getting my first deer....I'm not sure. To this day, he sticks to his story that I hit her. I want to believe that she was my first doe but I'm just not sure. It has been 25 years since that day. I wish I would have put her down so there would be no doubt. My Dad has been my only hunting partner in 25 years and that is the only situation that I ever have questioned his decision. He should have let me connect so it was evident. Oh well, move on.
As far as your daughter goes, she hit him so technically, that is her deer. I think you should have at least tried to put him down...but I understand your thinking. We all will live and learn. Don't beat yourself up over it. Make sure your daughter knows that these things happen and explain to her that maybe it was your fault things didn't go as planned. You don't want to scare her from hunting. We need all the hunters we can get at this point to fight for our rights to pass it onto our offspring. Good luck!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-07-07 AT 08:14PM (MST)[p]tough call... I want my son 1st buck to be a clean kill and a 40 yrd shot but........ do do happens.
lesson learned. life is some times not fair and cruel, the coyotes and crows have families to feed too! I would want my son to finish it and if I being a experienced hunter(lol) thought he could not then yea do it but WHAT the point?
220 yrs out side her comfort zone??
rm

WHERE YOU BEEN JACKMASTER???

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

Pretty remarkable how a post like this brings out the best in folks. COSA, turns out you and your daughter nailed it. Keep on hunting ... and make the best decisions you can at the time and don't beat yourselves up by second guessing.

Didn't require $30K, a helicopter or 15 bushwhackers and you ain't going to end up in feature length film but you and your daughter have a memory you can share for a life time. Besides, I'll bet she does way better next time.

RUS

I think if you would have finished it off, It may have given your daughter the wrong message. She may think in the future, It doesn't matter how I shoot because my dad will be there to bail me out. I'd use it as a learning experience. Punch her tag this year, help her practice shooting through the off-season and then let her nail the buck next year.

If you had a deer tag as well I would say put the animal out off his misery. If you did not have a tag as hard as it would have been all that you can do is let it go. This is one of those situations where what seems ethically and morally correct is illegal. If you shoot the deer with out a tag you're just as guilty for poaching as the guy that shoots an animal during the off season.

400bull

there is a very big difference 400bull. a very big difference. a person that shoots a buck, doesn't tag it, throws it in the back of his truck and hits the field insearch of another buck, is a POACHER! poaching is an unethical and unlawful taking of game. in this case, shooting the animal would have been a very ethical and VERY NON-POACHING way of teaching his daughter that she needs to do better.

beat this

LAST EDITED ON Oct-08-07 AT 10:54AM (MST)[p]You would hope a game warden would understand, but if you look at it from his point of view, he probably sees situations all the time where a parent (or someone other than the actual tagholder) shoots an animal which is later tagged by the tagholder. If a gamewarden believed every story told him, and was leniant, a lot more actual poachers would get away. It is a hard decision ethically. If you did put it out of it's misery, and were confronted by a game warden, you probably could expect to be cited, due to the letter of the law.

Then you get into the issue of if you do finish it off and she tags it, to be ethical do you seek out the gamewarden to tell him what happened, or do you tell your daughter, "although it was illegel, it was the right thing to do" and forget about it.

My father had an ethical situation like this years back where on an Idaho backcountry drop elk huntabout 20 miles from anywhere, he shot an elk and had to leave it wrapped in a tarp overnight. He and his buddy went back the next day to have a large boar black bear charge off the elk towards them. He shot it at 10 yards and it slid to thier feet dead. As they boned out the elk another black bear came over the hill and kept walking towards them. He shot it about 30 yards out and it ran off. Niether he or his buddy had the $10 over the counter bear tags.

He took pictures of the elk and the bears, and told the outfitter he was going to go to the fish and game to explain the situation. Well, he had to go to court and the tree hugger lady judge fined him $500, made him pay $500 to the bear study fund, and took away his license for a year.

He tried to be ethical and do what he felt was best and was hung for it. It is too bad he didn't have a tag though, because the outfitter said it was the biggest bear he had ever seen shot. He felt it would easily go Boone and Crockett.

Ohiohntr- I see your point that wardens often hear many BS stories and they need to decide if the person telling the story is genuine or not. That sucks for your Dad and the bear situation. Look at it this way...if he hadn't shot the bear, he'd be dead! The judge probably could have been a lot harder on him than she was. I don't know anyone who would have done things differently than your Dad.

Wiszard

I think that all of you who are telling COSA that he shouldn't have shot are missing the larger picture here.

What is the larger picture? The effects of the incident on a young hunter. A suffering animal. Non-hunters seeing a wounded deer limping around the hills.

I think that those are much more important than a "lesson" which will likely be learned anyway by the young hunter. If you have the chance, you owe it to the animal to put it out of it's misery, regardless of rules. Remember, just because it's the legal choice, it doesn't mean that it is the ethical choice.

---------------------------------------
This is my post

I've just pissed in my pants.......and nobody can do anything about it.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN.NOW MORE THAN EVER.
THIS IS WHY 14 WAS TO YOUNG, NOW THEY ARE LETTING 12 YEAR OLDS DO IT.
to those who said end it's misery. YOUR REALLY TEACHING YOUR KIDS GOOD ETHICS. follow the rules you want to, justify breaking the ones you want to.
REAL GOOD.

IF your child is unable to shoot a deer and kill it then MAYBE THEY SHOULD NOT BE IN THE FIELD WITH A RIFLE!

and if you would be willing to take the rifle and shoot it yourself then YOU SHOULD NOT BE IN THE FIELD EITHER!

rifle..Are you saying 12 is too young to hunt with a firearm? Just looking for clarification.

It doesn't have to be a daughter. I've hunted with friends and had the same thing happen twice. A friend wounded an antelope and another time it was an elk. Both times I was backup. In each case we fired at the same time. After the animals went down, I said good shot and never questioned who hit it. I had a license so wasn't concerned about ethics. If I didn't have a license, I'd have done the same. This issue ought to be an eye opener for some out there that if yer ever in the same situation. There's no excuse for allowing a crippled animal to get away if there's an opportunity to finish it off...

So........the concentrated opinion on here is "screw the law" I'll do what I want and teach my child that SOME laws are made to be ignored.

A bad situation made worse by adding a bad lesson.

"Ethics" "Cruel" both of those terms are open to interpretation.
Ask some people and any hunter who kills an animal is cruel and unethical.
Here is my take if you don't want to be "cruel" don't go hunting and become a vegitarian, because if you eat meat you support killing animals (isn't that the opion of some). I for one am going to continue to hunt and obey the laws. Not obeying the laws is unethical.
Now am I saying I have never broken a law. Of course not. There are two many laws to keep track of. I do my best and if I do break one I will make it right to the best of my ability.

Similar situation happened to me except I was the kid(whitetails in Minnesota). I was 12 and shot my first buck. I hit him in the chest, he was facing straight away but I was looking down on him. After I shot he ran about 50 yards just out of my sight, my dad however was just coming to check on me and seen the event unfold. When he seen it just standing there (dead on his feet) with me not shooting again and he couldn't tell where I hit him, he finished him off in the neck. I still agree with it and glad he did. No need to let him to suffer longer than needed or have to do any tracking if preventable.
with that being said every situation is different and I can see the other point of view by not shooting cause you don't want them growing up depending on other people to finish the job.
No right or wrong on this type of question. Just a crappy feeling felt by all respectable hunters :-(

Mntman

LAST EDITED ON Oct-11-07 AT 03:48PM (MST)[p]Personal judgement call for sure......

My son killed his first elk in NM a couple of weeks ago. The first shot wasn't perfect, and we ended-up having to track him through the thick woods for a bit. A couple of times we had him spotted (badly wounded...) laying in his bed but for some reason or another (logs & trees in the way, etc.) we weren't able to get my son a good second shot for a bit. At one point early in the drama, I could see the bull bedded about 60 yards away with his vitals exposed through a small pocket in the brush. I felt at the time that at that range I coule have fairly easily threaded the bullet through there and finished-off the elk.

I elected to NOT take the shot and to let my son finish off the elk (not until he had a shot he was comfortable with though...). After a a bit, we were able to get my son in position for a finishing shot and he did it.

This whole argument is a tough one. I would have felt VERY bad if that bull would have gotten away, but I would have also felt a little strange if I had been the one to actually finish-off MY SON'S first elk.

Worked-out in our case, but it's a tough one.....

S.

:)

PS: Here's the result of our hunt! http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID12/8406.html

Wounded Buck, Kid's Tag, Update.

Well we went out again today to an easier area close to home (I learned a lesson about hunting roadless areas in a snowstorm with a 13 year old girl). Clouded in until 9:00 or so. Spotted this buck and 4 does. Put a great 1/2 mile stalk on them, and got to 180 yds. She wouldn't shoot because she didn't feel steady. They went over the a small hill and we set up again at 150 yds. and got the job done.
TienishasHunt010.jpg

Excellent!!!!See, now everyone is happy.

I feel bad about the first hunt, but that is just the way things sometimes work out.

Coyotes have to eat too......otherwise I wouldn't have anything to shoot at after Christmas.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom