Wounded Game Tracking Dogs

Founder

Founder Since 1999
So a friend and I were talking today about dogs tracking elk or deer that have been wounded. Or maybe just taking them into an area where it's suspected the animal died and letting them find it.

How many of you know of dogs that can do it? And do it consistantly? Is that something cougar or bear hounds can do? Do houndsmen ever have a problem with their dogs getting preoccupied and finding dead stuff in the mountains?

Maybe some of you guys with hound/dog experience can clue us in some.

Thanks,

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

LAST EDITED ON Mar-28-12 AT 11:50PM (MST)[p]My Brittney was named George. I took him deer hunting with me, here in Northern Cali. one dog is legal, from a young pup and worked him with visual, talking to him about the deer he'd see, saying if they were a buck or doe, and on the blood, by taking him to every deer kill that i knew of that year. When i'd be dressing out a deer, again with the "buck" and i'd grab his horns and open the bucks legs so my pup was sure to know what was on the ground was a "buck". I also aways discounted the sightings of Does, as if they weren't important, and that paid off down the road some.

His third year, it was known through-out our local hunting fraternity that George was one buck hunting SOB. Guys with bucks that couldn't be found came and got me and my dog. I can't recall ever not finding a buck that we set out on blood. I was even offered good money to change my plans so as we'd do the service for others. One Buck that was shot thru the side of the neck was trailed by george hours later. Over three miles the bloodless trail took George until he jumped the buck up, the buck came my way with the fear of fire in his eyes and George squeal yapping on his tail, made for a easy finishing shot and a happy hunter who'd thought that buck lost for sure.

George loved jumping bucks out of tight cover too. Some good sized manzinita patches around here hold lots of deer that stage before heading on down to the winter ranges and refuge. A man or two on foot alone might see a few deer but with George working ahead of us like a good bird dog, every deer on a hillside would be very concerned and we'd likely see them all. I also can't count the times that George would run bucks back my way. He always knew where i was, never ranged off more than a couple hundred yards if that and he seemed to automatically know how he could help me in the best way.

One more thing and i care less if you believe it or not, George never once, that i remember, barked while jumping up a doe but he'd squeal-bark like the dickens when he was pushing a buck.
He was my hunting Pard for seven years and got to be pretty famous in these parts. I don't know who ran over him, didn't really want to know. He'd climb his 8 foot fence like a monkey if there was a girl dog in heat nearby and sometimes there was just no keeping him in.

Now, i was awful partial to that Brit and i've done my share of bragging on him but i swear to God himself, everything i've said here and more is a true deal! That dog could hunt!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

The dogs I have seen do this are not hounds. My brother has a Schnauzer that is unbelievable. I have seen him on both wounded and dead game. He has been trained since in a pup in NM. I have seen him track, Coues deer, Oryx, Barbary sheep, mule deer and elk. All very successfully.

Also look at the Jack Russels that they run in Africa. I think that this new law will help recover some what would have been wasted animals in the past.

I followed behind a Jagt(sp?) terrier as he followed a blood trail. Awesome watching him work. The owner said they were bred for blood trailing, but IDK.

WOW sage!

So you Guys Hunted Bucks like Birds?

Smart Dog right there!

And Does never excited him,UN-F'N-BELIEVABLE!

Did you ever get any Pups out of that Gene Pool?

That right there is my kinda Dog sage!

I've been wanting a Good Pack that would catch & hold at bay 30"ers!:D

I can hear it now in TARDville:

Every Deer Hunter will now have Dogs with them & By GAWD all of them will be claiming to be looking for a Dead/Wounded Buck,but in Reality they'll be Hunting Bucks like sage did in KALI!

Just Sayin Boys..................let's hunt em like Pheasants in TARDville!

JFP!

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can

I think it's a great idea to have a blood tracking dog and I always have where it is legal. I do believe there would be a lot more recoveries of wounded game. I'm sure just about any dog could be trained to track blood, it wouldn't have to be an expensive blood hound either or a hound at all for that matter. Heck I bet a poodle could track blood. I think I if a had such a dog though I would be keeping him on a leash during the tracking so no-one would suspect the dog of chasing a deer. Have heard about dogs shot on site out in the field accused of chasing deer when I was a kid. ;-)

Joey, that's a great story and a heck of a dog. I wouldn't advise having a dog out chasing bucks like that in Michigan. Folks back there don't take to kindly to dogs chasing deer for any reason, legal or not. Just my 2 cents.

GBA

Drathaars that are tested in the system are trained for this and are very good at it. My wife just got a pup and she plans to train it for this.

I've had numerous dogs that were good at finding cripples. I'm sure that many more deer would be recovered if people could use dogs for this.

I did lose a buddies archery buck when we started to trail the deer too soon after the shot. The dog found the deer quickly where it was bedded and dying and bumped it for a long way. We never got it.

Just about any dog can do this if they are trained. Most of the training is just about having the dogs around fresh kills and learning why you are out there and what your looking for.

Venison and Zinfandel are GOOD!

I know of a guy who tried this tactic a few years back......his dog was shot and killed by another hunter for harrassing wildlife (or so that's how he saw it when he killed it).
Something to consider........

It's legal in Kali so no harassing charge here.

I have a friend who had a Jack Russel and he was amazing! That dog found more lost cripples than I care to try to count and most would never have been seen again and quite a few the guy who shot the deer would say "where's he going the deer went this way" and ten minutes later that little SOB would be yapping and have the deer cornered for a finishing shot or found dead. I have another friend that has a Jagd terrier and she is a great dog too but has not been in on nearly the numbers of that jack. The Jadg though will even retrieve birds! I know I may catch chit for this but I have seen her retrieve an Aleutian goose a few times, on land and I'm pretty sure she retrieves in water a bit too but don't think she is crazy about it. Very cool dog though.

In my experience with this the small dog breeds work better and I believe it is because they turn the deer and after a few times the deer turns on them and tries to fight but the dog just does his thing keeping the deer cornered and fighting until you can get a finisher on it. They won't stop to fight the larger breeds so the deer can run farther before it gives out . Just my experience here.

Bill

Kill the buck that makes YOU happy!

Any of the Wirehaird breeds-Pudlepointer,Drathhire,German wirehair. They were bred in Europe to hunt,track,and retrieve fur and fowl.

>It's legal in Kali so no
>harassing charge here.
>
>I have a friend who had
>a Jack Russel and he
>was amazing! That dog found
>more lost cripples than I
>care to try to count
>and most would never have
>been seen again and quite
>a few the guy who
>shot the deer would say
>"where's he going the deer
>went this way" and ten
>minutes later that little SOB
>would be yapping and have
>the deer cornered for a
>finishing shot or found dead.
>I have another friend that
>has a Jagd terrier and
>she is a great dog
>too but has not been
>in on nearly the numbers
>of that jack. The Jadg
>though will even retrieve birds!
>I know I may catch
>chit for this but I
>have seen her retrieve an
>Aleutian goose a few times,
>on land and I'm pretty
>sure she retrieves in water
>a bit too but don't
>think she is crazy about
>it. Very cool dog though.
>
>
>In my experience with this the
>small dog breeds work better
>and I believe it is
>because they turn the deer
>and after a few times
>the deer turns on them
>and tries to fight but
>the dog just does his
>thing keeping the deer cornered
>and fighting until you can
>get a finisher on it.
>They won't stop to fight
>the larger breeds so the
>deer can run farther before
>it gives out . Just
>my experience here.
>
>Bill

I agree Bill.
My Fox Terriers have always been very good at finding wounded game over the years.
Fortunately, they haven't been needed often, but they are worth their weight in gold when a buck disappears on a chemise covered mountain side.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-29-12 AT 10:28AM (MST)[p]Lol ! GBA, Yes, I have ran into a lot of Mich. guys while hunting outa state. Great guys but my impression is that they will shoot anything.

Do guys in whatever state shoot Bird Dogs?
Do they shoot Bear or Cat Dogs?
How about Pig Dogs?
Dogs to hunt Bunnies?

Believe me, there were times when i was concerned for my dog and times, like opening weekend, when he stayed in the truck. When in the field or on longer hunts, he would heel on command and generally stay there until told different. It paid to keep track of where he was looking. i can spot deer fairly better than midland but he could see even better. He just liked going and being w/me but when i said, "where's the Buck?, gettem up", he went to work.

STTM, No, i got no pups outta him. His Father was a rather large Male outa Elko NV. I'm told that there are still some large Britts in that country, might be some of the same bloodlines.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

<<Do guys in whatever state shoot Bird Dogs?
<<Do they shoot Bear or Cat Dogs?
<<How about Pig Dogs?
<<Dogs to hunt Bunnies?

Naw, just buck chasing deer dogs. Ha ha ha LOL

Actually Joey, the last few dogs I heard about getting shot back some 30 years ago was band of German Sheppard?s. They were feral dogs let to run lose presumably by the Amish in the area. They killed deer like wolves. Oh I heard there was a band of these feral dogs now in Utah, ha ha ha LMAO

GBA

If you want a good read, Google Deutch Drahthaar. I have a "DD" and she is fantastic. She is long legged with high energy and great endurance which makes her perfect for going through the thick cover, not around it.

First off, I think it's a great that they are considering to let you do this. This will save a lot of spoiled meat!
I had a Golden Retriever that did it, and was totally reliable on pursuit. A guy that works for me has beagles that do it for him.
You gotta trust the dog. Many times my dog got off the blood trail, and headed straight for the animal, which left me to question what he was doing a few times.
* Oldest blood trail my dog tracked to the animal was 20+ hours old.

STTM, Hunting Bucks like Pheasants! Yep kinda! One of my buds was griping that he hadn't seen a legal buck and was really wanting to put a buck in the freezer so i told him to grab his gun and lets go. We went only a few miles outa town on some Timber property that was really mashed in with Manzeneta brush and put George to work.

As i said, he'd range back and forth in front of us, we'd see him here and there, until we pretty much worked a area of the brush out and stopped to take a breather. I was standing on a tall stump and my bud was standing down below me with a big clump of brush between us. We were shooting the breeze and i saw George circling around to pick up my trail and follow it up as he generally would if he lost close contact. When he got up to me, instead of his usual greeting after a hunt like that, he burrowed right into that clump of brush between us and, to our amazement, out jumped a nice mature 3x3 that my pard took at near point blank range.

That buck was within feet of us the whole time that we were talking but it took the dog to get him up...kinda like a pheasant. Many a time a buck might temporarily lose George for a few seconds but that buck was always way more concerned with the dog than he ever was of me. Made for good shots if a guy wanted them.

It's very similar to hunting and watching a good bird dog work. George worked well on upland birds too but i knew without a doubt that he'd rather hunt bucks than anything.

NVB, good one! Always loved that cartoon!

Joey

I have personal experience with blood trail dogs. A few years ago on the ranch I guide on in N.M.we had a guy from Alaska with a full size Dachshund that was amazing. I had a hunter hit a bear too high and this dog tracked that bear over 3 miles on my GPS after we lost good blood. He would go until he found blood then would stop and wait for the owner to release him before he would go on. The owner always kept this dog on about 100' of rope, however it was amazing to watch this little dog work. They also used him that year on a couple wounded elk with great results. I think it is a good idea to allow the use of these dogs. If we recover even a small number of wounded game the benefit will be enormous.

Later, L.T.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-29-12 AT 09:40PM (MST)[p]These folks know more about wounded game tracking with dogs then any of us will in our lifetime. http://born-to-track.com/

I purchased a male puppy from them in 2010 and he is really really good & I just got a new female from the Ukraine that I hope turns out just as good. The DD dogs are wonderful if your looking for a dog that can do many things very well but if your not going to hunt birds ect then I would look for a tracking dog only like the dachshund/teckel or Bavarian Mountain Hound and trust me I looked for my brother and there just not many available in the US.
or try and find what is considered the kind of Mtn scent hounds the Hanover & you wont get one in the US @ this time..

Justin Richins
R&K Hunting Company Inc.
www.thehuntingcompany.com

It would not be an easy transition to train big game hounds to track down wounded animals, it takes a whole different skill set for a dog. Hounds are naturally bred and trained to track and give chase to their target animal. A hound's primary motivation is to tree or face bark their quarry. As soon as the animal is dead, however, the excitement is over and they quickly loose interest.

Cross tracking is also common among big game hounds. I might dump on a red bear I have spotted and end up with a black colored one in the tree. Or I might dump out on a tom lion track and end up treeing a smaller female or even a bobcat. Lion and bear hounds will naturally focus on the freshest track in front of them regardless of whether it was the same animal they started with.

Also, I go to great lengths and expense to keep my dogs from running unwanted game. The toughest part of training hounds is teaching them what not to chase. Hounds aren't the Einsteins of the dog world, so to introduce the concept that some deer are okay to track while others aren't may well be beyond their mental capacity to comprehend. Nah, you gotta keep things simple for hounds.

There are some breeds that do well with blood tracking wounded game, but It would be tough for previously trained lion or bear hounds to adapt.

I've owned Drahthaar's for over 30 years now and have done my fair share of bloodtracking big game with them. 100% on private property. A buddy and I tried to get the DWR to look at making it legal over 20 years ago and couldn't get any response at that time.
There are dogs more suited to be 'specialty' trackers like Huntinco stated but DD are very, very good at it when trained. Alot of people have a dog they can turn loose on a track and maybe find game if it is easy but it takes ALOT of hard work and training to become a proficient 'team' with a dog on lead. When tracks leave little blood that cannot be seen with a human eye and go possibly miles.... you weed out the casual tracking dogs.
You have to learn to read and trust your dog and know when something else has taken them off the track. Blood tracking is one of the tests in the VGP and you have the option of same day or overnight track. Also the dog can be trained for dead game guiding. My dogs are trained with a 'bringsel' (leather attached to collar) to where they can be turned loose and when they find dead game they put the leather bringsel in their mouth and return to me and guide me back to the game. It's really pretty cool.
Also the German JGHV sponsors blood tracking tests that are for 20 and 40 hour old tracks. These tracks are on lead and 1000 meters long with 8 oz of blood and are done in the forrest. The teckels (weiner dogs) and DD are the most commonly tested here and in Europe.
I have helped quite a few people with learning the basics of bloodtracking and would be glad to share what I know about it with anyone really interested. Im certainly not an expert but have had some success.

I hunted on a private ranch for blacktails some years ago. The ranch owner had a "cattle dog". It was black and white, short hair. You always see them riding in the back of ranchers trucks, but the breed name escapes me.

Us 20 members killed about 30 bucks a year off the 6000 acre ranch, with a fair number of bucks being crippled and "lost". This little dog was amazing.

I shot a small buck right at dark one day. I had good blood but it was getting dark fast so I just went to the ranch house and got Jimmy and his dog. I took them to the blood and off the dog went. He was gone about 5 minutes and came back and laid down by Jimmy. I was thinking WTF? Jimmy said it was just a flesh wound and the buck was gone, but would probably be just fine. I thought to myself "Yea, right", but what could I do?

About a week later I was hunting in the same area and out walks the little buck I crippled a week ago. I dumped him this time, and when I got to him he had a fresh bullet wound on his ham. Just grazed, and it was healing well.

I never doubted Jimmy or his dog after that.

Eel

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom