WOW!!!

That sure seems like a lot of poachers, I guess with bonus points all bottled necked, premium tags unavailable and opportunity hunts not working out, they can't resist themselves. I still think Utah would be the last place I would poach, to many eyes and cameras out there. As long as they get there picture with there animal the fine obviously doesn't matter.

Good luck on increasing those fines. Utah courts are in the process of reducing, and in many cases, not even imposing fines anymore. And this is for everything, not just poaching cases.

I do wish they'd throw the book at these folks that are just going out and shooting crap for kicks and giggles. Mistakes do happen, and a slap on the wrist is appropriate for those time. But those that willfully disregard the law and just do what they want? Mandatory jail time and huge fines should be a part of it. Maybe even tie a 1 year DL suspension to it as well.

102 is probably a fraction of the actual number. The negative impact to wildlife is unbelievable. Jail time is probably the only penalty that will work. Fines and revoking hunting privileges don't work.

I am so disgusted with those that poach. It makes me sick. I would gladly pay double for a licence and permit if I knew that money was going to funding for more officers being out in the field checking people.

I have fished in this state of Utah for 31 years and only had my licence checked once! I've never seen an officer in the field and had my hunting licence checked. We NEED more enforcement! 11'000 people checked is good but not nearly enough I'd like to see that add one more 0, 110,000 checked maybe then we'd see less numbers like this.

I think all those numbers are exagerated....I find it hard to believe that they have checked 140 licenses a day since august 1st.....

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

>I think all those numbers are
>exagerated....I find it hard to
>believe that they have checked
>140 licenses a day since
>august 1st.....
>
>
>
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Yeah Exactly definitely not with the man power the DWR has right now. They need more people

Utards hard at work. I hate these poachers. We need harsher penalties.
While they're at it, someone ought to check in on all our friendly sheep herders.

I wonder how many cross over into Nevada to get big game/"horn hunt" (is collecting sheds out of season "poaching")? "Hunters" come from as far away as Santaquin, Cedar City, Sandy Utah, St. George ...all cammied up to hunt coyotes (hundreds of miles round trip) Just odd that they only show up during big game hunting seasons. I remember years ago out near the Utah border, a warden encountered some hunters with a huge buck they claimed they wounded, and he ran quite a bit into Nevada before expiring (the warden in his investigation found the gut pile 5 miles in!) Probably an isolated incident, but curious what our numbers would be.

Pete, if I had to guess, I would say pretty close to the number of Nevadans that come across into Utah to do the same thing.

And I watch as we regularly see people on this forum and others complain about how easy poachers get off. How many of these same people that are complaining about it here or other places have done anything more than just complain online about it? Have you contacted your elected officials and asked them to change the laws and do something about it? Or is just whining here good enough?

Here is a link to contact your legislators. I challenge everyone here that is bothered by this many wildlife violations to do so.
https://le.utah.gov/maps/amap.html

The info I have is a bit old and it is for California.
But, California DFG said that only about 10% of the "poachers" got caught. The Department even had Game Wardens go out and violate the law.....stuff like spot lighting, to see how many got turned in, reported. About 10%.
It is easy to see how most just get away with it. With only about 300 Game Wardens in the State of California. Figure that part of that number is in management and never gets out in the field. That is a lot of territory for a Game Warden to cover. He has to have a life too. What happens on his days off?
Woodturner

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom