WSMs are a scourge...

Pre64

Very Active Member
Excuse me while I vent a little. Did some horse trading and put myself in a position to pick up an(other) elk rifle. No .338s, no 7mm RMs, no 300 WMs, no 375 H&Hs. But....plenty of WSMs around in whatever I might want. I guess they aren't selling like the traditional calibers. Maybe production outlasted the hype? I'm sure they shoot fine, but I don't see any advantage over calibers that have a track record and plenty of loading info. Besides, I don't need to spend the extra cash on dies and brass.

I got one of those .270 calibers that shoots a 130 grain bullet at 3100 fps......270 Winchester.

There are plenty of WSM's because many MORONS bought them. I have a couple and love them. So, So, many people bought them thinking they could have a "magnum" powered rifle with less recoil. The archery field is far worse with new hype every year with no actual improvement most of the time. Most of the first WSM buyers are gun ignorant and just assumed because it said short action, compact, less recoil, and all the other marketing hype. Yes if you have a labratory to measure recoil there is less but not enough for a shooter to notice. Remember Newton?...still holds true today. I'm not getting rid of mine as I am getting higher velocity and equal accuracy if not a little more then I ever could with my other mags. Yes I admit I am a speed freak so if I can gain 50fps even though the true benefit is negligable I just have to have it.

Like I was sayin, I'm sure they shoot fine. But now that dealers must stock all these new calibers there isn't much room left for the tried and true. And, the few 300 WMs and 7MM RMs(etc.) left don't stay around long. Just an observation.

I wonder if the manufacturers are forcing the new calibers on the dealers.

I have never heard of anything like that. But my latest flyer shows them for 50.00 less then other calibers on Remington's. Factories will usually offer a great deal but not mandate to get rid of guns that are not selling. The sale price from the Wholesaler usually means they are not selling and the wholesaler needs to reduce them. In todays world companies must sell products, and most people want something new so I don't blame them at all. Again for me velocity is the key, and a standard "old" caliber is not going to equal some of the new commercially available rounds. Wildcats are simply becoming mainstream in order to sell new guns.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-10-07 AT 12:49PM (MST)[p]Pre64...I've got to agree.I know this guy that went out and bought a 25wssm death ray..,took it doe antelope hunting and he said he stalk to with in 300 yards of a herd. He said he had them "dead to right" what ever that means.but said it was too far to shoot.so now he has a 25-06 on layawy at sportsmans wharehouse...does this guy know his chitt or what!!...RIMROCK

The 300 WSM won't produce the velocities the 300 Win mag will and the 270 WSM won't keep up with the 270 WBY. I don't care what you read the facts are the WSM's are slower, factory loads are about the same except for the Hornady heavy mag load for the 300 Win which is faster than any 300 WSM. for the handloader the 300 Win wins everytime. in the 270 ALL WBY loads are faster than any factory WSM loads. just the facts without the hype, tested over an Oehler, the WSM's are ok but they are NOT faster.

Dude..I use a PACT and I am getting the same velocity out of my A-Bolt in 300WSM as I am out of my A-Bolt in 300WM. So equal out the barrel length and it is faster. Plus the WSM rifle is much quicker to handle and fits a scabbard so much better. My Savage is actually faster with a 24" barrel so it is what it is. Your rifles may be the other way. I only shoot handloads and I have seen the opposite performance in my guns. Yes you can find a specialty load with proprietary powder and loading technique that may or may not shoot in your gun for a assinine cost. Overall I would guess the rounds potential as slightly faster in a more compact gun. I give up a round of capacity in the magazine, but the overall reality is the 300WSM is very equal to the standard mag. Just a matter of personal preference and I shoot them both. Heck I shoot a 300RUM in open country and a 300WSM for woods.

In any case it was great marketing. Instead of coming up with a new round they came up with a whole series of new cartridges. They basically took every popular round and made a short mag out of it, that way they could provide a novel and new cartridge to fit any niche. Similar are the ultra-mags. All I wanted was a 7MM RM, not a WSM or UM or DUM. I know that round will still be around in ten years, who knows about the rest.

Yes it was that! You can't blame them one bit. In todays world a guy buys a centerfire rifle, a .22 and a shotgun and he's done. The companies have to come up with new ideas to sell product. Look at the job TC has done with their 1 shot wonders and now they are bringing a bolt action to market. Those short mags seem to shoot very well and they will reduce the weight of the weapon slightly by using the shorter action. I've found that they seem to perform better with the lighter bullets and seem to lose their advantage with the heavier weight fare but that's just what I have found. All in all it was a good idea and one that more than likely would have continued if a gun writer hadn't won in court (on an idea he really didn't invent but was able to get a patent on in spite of conflicting issues) and forced them to pay royalties. Most companies answer was to stop production rather than pay so that's where we are today. Only time will tell but I don't think we've heard the last of these cartridges by a long shot. Several companies are still producing them and they still make a lot of sense.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom