WTF!!! $330 Flashlights

Rob

Just saw this in Cabelas. Who has one? You have waay too much money. Help me out to understand why a flashlight could cost so much.

I ride my mountain bike at night a lot. I have $250 and 400 lumens on my helmet and $300 and 700 lumens on my bar. Thing is the stuff I bought a year and a half ago is already overpriced and under powered. I can't see buying a $330 flashlight especially now that Magicshine has hit the market.

900 lumens for $90 spend $15 more and put it on a headlam band. http://www.cyclinglights.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_41&products_id=180

I just got off of the Cabela's website. Those flashlights suck. The most expensive one put out a mere 500 lumens for a run time of 60 minutes.

My Ay Ups will run 6 hours at 400 lumens and only weigh 7.5 ounces. A second 6 hour battery is $40 and weighs 5 ounces. The Magicshine will produce 900 lumens for 3 hours. I use the Ay Ups for night hiking as well as night riding.

I guess it all depends on how badley you want/need to see in the dark and what it is that you are trying to look at.

I can't remember the specifics but maybe 10 or so years ago I spent hundreds of dollars on a Nightrider headlamp for my rescue helmet because I needed as much portable light as I could get in a relatively small package. It made sense because lives depended on it.

For many years I carried a Surefire P60 or P90 with the high output bulbs on duty and they ran $100 plus then but they did the trick.

Things now seem to have gotten a little out of hand. $330 for a handheld flashlight seems to be either a novelty or something very specialized.

I am testing a couple of LED lights now from Icon. I don't know how much they cost but they are nice lights and taking quite a beating.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom