Wy and Ut Moose

Salmon

I have a question and hoping that guys who know way more than me would be willing to talk about. I am a non-resident, 58 yrs old. I have 9 pts for moose in each state and was wondering if in the next 5 years I might have a chance at drawing a unit I could hunt without horses. I would have a few friends who could help but wonder if it is feasible or should I just forget about trying to get a moose. As you know any info would be great and if you want you can PM me. Thanks in advance.....Tom

LAST EDITED ON Feb-22-11 AT 01:18PM (MST)[p]Salmon, I don't know about Utah, but do about Wyoming. What you need to do in Wyoming is study the number of current point holders very closely before applying. There are a lot of them, unlike the handful in the 12+ pools. These 11 point pool guys (includes me) who have previusly just been banking points, are now coming out of the woodwork to get out of the WY $75/year game. This will be worse next year if they screw us point holders and go 50/50 bonus/random. With 9 points, don't count on ever getting a tag in those units that took 9+ last year. You won't get there.

I'd suggest units 4 & 25. I'd research more on 18 to see if you could deal with the terrain. Better quality but more rough.

Zim---I haven't heard anything about what you mentioned on this 50/50 deal. Is that something on the burner for all or certain animal draws in Wyoming? Did that come out of meetings, just conjecture, or what? Thanks!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-22-11 AT 01:29PM (MST)[p]TOPGUN, I don't know the current status. However, what I've seen in the past is these things get kicked around in committee a year first and take affect the following year. I'm sure a resident will post your answer.

Myself, I am not applying for the unit I'd really like because I want better odds, so I can bail on their $75/year game.

If that 50/50 deal goes through it will totally rape us borderline guys. I am even looking at downgrading to a unit that had a 100% success for my point pool right now. Really sucks we don't know for sure if we're screwed next year cause I can tell you without a doubt it would make a difference in my unit selection.

Wyoming is well within reach even without horses. Check out the extreeme southwest part of the state.

Utah is likely never gonna happen with 9 points at your age, but what's $10 to apply...

UT is more than $10.00 these days since you have to buy a license. Thats a minimum of $75.00 a year. Going to be a long time unless you get lucky and draw the one random tag.

Salmon,

4 is a good unit and you should draw it with 9 points, if you apply. Be prepared to do some homework on private land access, contact the Game and Fish office in Pinedale and talk with the bioligist and warden for the area. They can point you in the right direction. Good Luck

Tracker, it's $75.00 for moose if you don't apply for anything else. I would think someone with moose points would also have 9 points for either deer, elk or antelope too...Or drew a tag recently. And probably 2 points for everything else too.

(probably not antelope since you could draw any tag in the state with 6 PPs 3 years ago)

Correct.

I'm just assuming that if he's applying for moose he's applying for other species as well, and an extra $10 isn't a big deal.

I don't think 9pts currently will get into the bonus point tags in the next 30 years or so for a nonresident.

Especially when utah's moose hunting opportunity seems to be trending downward.

I'm sitting on 13 resident points and hope one day they'll be good for something else.

I've got one moose from Wyoming and will likely have another before I ever draw a good Utah tag.

TG....Wyo sent a letter aout about a year ago???

Stating they are considering going 50/50 split instead of 75/25 split on draw tags.

The big issue is that many will never draw with the 75/25 split and that many are not even in the game any more.

I think they should do away with the point code buying only and that would give many a better chance as you wuld have to apply not sit on the bench.

Salmon----PM sent

Robb

+1 on southwest part of wyoming...area 27 has enough public land access (though very limited) to get a moose very easily w/o horses...same for area 36...I'd probably go 36, you can hunt the huge Bear River Divide (private) and there's plenty of oil and gas roads...both can be drawn this year w/ 9 pts...good luck. Plus 36 is close to Evanston and you can either camp or motel hunt.

I was lucky enough to get in on the ground floor of the Wyoming points and drew a moose in 1995. I did it DIY and had one friend to help me. I passed on two moose that were within 100 yards of my truck, but that was back in the "glory days" when moose were everywhere. With the Wolves eating more moose than hunters the numbers have dropped dramatically, along with the number of tags.
You may never draw one of the very best units, but you could draw a Wyoming tag for moose in some of the less popular units if you are patient.
If you have a strong back, time, and some help, you can pack out a moose on your back as I did. But it is work for sure, whether it is in Utah or Wyoming.
Good luck.

Thank you very much for all your insights about my question!! Looks like I'll be looking more towards WY than UT. Trying in the next couple of years to do this as I really want a moose. I will PM some of you if that is okay and you'd be willing to give more ideas I could use. Again, thanks.....Tom

You won't draw a non-resident unit 27 this year with 9 points. For 2011 only 3 non-resident tags and all are going to max points guys.. This year has been crazy guys are wanting to cash in moose points in UT & Wyoming every hunter I have talked to has 12+ Wyoming points

Justin Richins
R&K Hunting Company Inc.
www.thehuntingcompany.com

That's true you never know when someone w/ higher points is going to swoop down and take that tag! Justin should know about Area 27, he has a moose lease there and it looks like he's booked for 2011, so good info for you. PM me if you like...I'd look to Area 36 then...high success rates, public access and a chance at a decent moose...you wont find monster moose there according to the biologist (maybe a local resident could find a 40 incher), but it'll give you a good hunt...also no wolves there and lodging close by if needed.

>>I'm sitting on 13 resident points
>and hope one day they'll
>be good for something else.

I don't know if this is what you meant, but I wish Utah would got to a universal OIL point and let people switch around between species. I know alot of people that would love to change what they are putting in for but can't because they are point bound.

Justin is just trying to keep people from applying for #27. He's probably got people booked with him, probably with 10 points. So if he sway's people away from there, his people with 10 would draw. He told me he had 3 people with 12 points from Texas putting in last year for unit #27, that never happened.

I did not say don't put in for 27 and trust me and a post MM is not going to affect the moose draw. I posted my honest input. And yes last year I was told by the hunters they had 12 points, And as we see none of them did and yes we guided all the nonresident hunters last yr. This yr Im checking the points myself that's how I know. If ya draw a 27 and go self guided I would be more then happy to share what I know for free. It's sad but MM is all about creating drama that's why I don't spend much of my time here anymore. Good luck to all this season.
Justin Richins
R&K Hunting Company Inc.
www.thehuntingcompany.com

There seems to be some guys on here who know about wyoming moose so what do you guys think would be the better unit 23 or 26 and why?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom