WY 'lope conundrum

WillHunt

Here's my problem. I currently have 1 PP for pronghorn in WY and hope to hunt 47 or similar unit when I have 2 or 3 PPs. I want to hunt with my brother and father, both of whom are only interested in does and have no PP. When I hatched this plan, I was making the incorrect assumption that they were essentially garaunteed to get their doe tags, so we'd just wait till I got my buck tag and they'd pick up doe tags, and we'd go. Not the case - getting doe tags in 47 for nonresidents is like a 50% proposition. So, then was hoping that I could put in for my buck as an individual, and separately put in as a party for does with my family, and set it up where if I don't draw the buck, the doe application gets tossed; or if I draw the buck but we don't draw the does, my buck application gets tossed (or put off in some way that I don't lose PP). The nice lady informed me that the buck and the doe applications are for different "species" (I know what she means) and therefore can't be linked in that way. Seems like there should be a solution where we can do what we're wanting to do, but I can't find it, unless I just start my dad and brother in the PP game and we're all in together for bucks with them dragging our PP number down, and paying for more expensive buck tags when all they want is does. Am I missing a better solution?

I believe that there was a change last year to how residents applied for these doe tags, which then reduced the odds for non-residents to draw in the primary draw.

I don't think there is anyway to do what you want to do, you just have to apply and hope that both groups draw. One option, which might or might not be available is to get leftover doe tags in a neighboring unit or a unit that is not a far drive if you don't draw. The other option is to change units where their odds for the doe tag are greater than 50/50. I think that is what I would do, just change units.

I am guessing that the problem is that the preference points are only for the buck tags and you cannot use them for the doe tags? I think that is correct, two separate draws.

Why not keep building the points and hunt does with your dad and brother. Use it as a scouting trip and learn the area. Then when you have enough points for the buck tag apply and have yourself a good hunt.

Last time I checked, units that were mostly private land often had leftover buck tags so likely are leftover doe tags. Save your points that way.

The issue is you may pay a few hundred to access a ranch to hunt. In return for that acess money, you will not be looking at dozens of orange vests and ATVs zooming around. Probably could camp on the ranch if you brought a camper or tent.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-08-12 AT 09:46AM (MST)[p]I'm pretty sure your family could acquire a preference point, and then use that point to draw a doe tag as first choice. 1 point will allow you to draw almost any doe tag.
Bill

Topgun is right. No PP for does, therefore I can't predict when/if we would draw doe tags in a unit like 47 where there appears to be about a 50/50 shot at drawing does. That's the problem. If I draw the buck but the group doesn't draw the does, I hunt by myself or eat tag soup.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom