WY Moose guide help

wishunter

LAST EDITED ON Jan-12-08 AT 06:08PM (MST)[p]Has anyone has any experiences with an outfitter for moose in the Jackson WY area? I am a non-res with enough points to draw 23, 20,5, etc. possibly this year or next. I had planned on a diy, but talking to others do not feel this is possible due to time constraints and the wilderness rule. So I am looking at outfiiters and doing some research and just looking for opinions. I have looked at WY guide assoc., now I am just looking for more input. Let me also ask is a DIY hunt possible, if I allotted 2 plus weeks to the hunt. I'm just a working stiff so i need to keep the guided hunt under 5 figures. I have heard good things about Barlow Outfitters. Any ideas? Thanks for any help.

I was in the same boat as you last year. I went with Kevin at Diamond J Outfitters. Good hunt, good camp, good food, good stock, even a hot shower at camp. Kevin worked hard for me & we got a nice bull on day 6 of the hunt. It was unit 24, I drew with 7 points-- unit 23 took 8. We saw moose everyday----the bull they had scouted all summer was taken by an archery hunter a couple of days before my Oct 1st rifle hunt.

I also looked at Robb at Non-Typical Outfitters in unit 23.

I looked at Barlow's website and considered them also.

But I went with Kevin because I had lunch with he & his wife and felt real comfortable with him.

DIY---yes it's possible in unit 24 & 23. Lot's of logging trails. ATV's are allowed in some areas also. But really it's a horseback hunt. Them suckers are big, especially when they hit the ground. It took 3 of us just to drag him a few feet so we could clean him out.

Good luck & good hunting.

Kevin's website is www.diamondjoutfitters.com------tell Bob from Durango says "Hello"

FYI---moose meat is top notch---don't waste an ounce. CB

YOU WILL NEVER GO WRONG WITH BOB BARLOW, ...BUT THAT HUNT IS ONE THAT CAN EASILY BE DONE DIY AS I DID PREVIOUSLY. JUST LINE UP A PACKER BEFORE YOU POP THE DONKEY...OR RENT HORSES. I BELIEVE I WILL DRAW MOOSE IN 08 ALSO WITH 9 POINTS. IF I GO DIY THAN FREES UP $4000 TO GO ON OTHER HUNTS WITH........YD.

Bob Barlow takes some good moose and seems to be a straight shooter from the conversations I've had with him.

This is all very good information! I am sitting with 6 points for sheep and moose. I am going to try my luck with moose first. How many points does a person need to really make it worth there while to apply? Keep throwing outfitter names out there because these are all outfits that I have been contemplating using when my number is drawn. I was also wondering if anybody has herd anything about Toby Johnston out of Sheridan? Keep up the good threads.

Thanks!

If you are an experienced hunter and have a little time to scout or plenty of time to hunt, I agree with Yukon and you should not be afraid to go DIY.

I'll second the opinion on Muleshoe Outfitters. They hunt moose in 3, 4, and 5. Never hunted moose with them, but my sheep hunt was one of the best I've been on. Justin and Sandy are outstanding people.

LAST EDITED ON May-24-08 AT 11:58PM (MST)[p]I drew a tag in unit 4, back in 2002. Since the unit is almost entirely private, at least moose habitat-wise, I booked a hunt with Gary Amerine, who lives in Daniel. His outfit is called Greys River Trophies. Gary put on a very nice hunt, did a lot of scouting ahead of time, great facilities and food, just all around wonderful. My archery hunt was over almost too quick. We found a pretty nice bull on the first full day of hunting, and due to the circumstances, it didn't make sense to look a gift horse in the mouth, so to speak. He ended up going 38" and scores right at 130. Just missed Pope & Young.

He hunts several units in that country, so he'd be worth checking out. He's also a sponsor of this website. I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with him again.

http://www.wyoming-elk-hunting.net/

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom