WY moose opinions

Chesterwyo

Very Active Member
Looking for some opinions on what I should do for the upcoming wyoming resident moose draw. I currently have 11 points. I am one point off of max because the points system was implemented a year before I was old enought to apply. I am thinking about cashing in this year in one of the units that takes 11 points to draw such as area 23, 24, 26, or 5. I grew up pretty close to most of these areas and know I can find moose in them but then I look at the kind of moose that are coming out of the snowy range and the bighorns and it makes me reconsider cashing in. I know I can't find moose of that quality in the areas I can currently draw. So do I burn my points and hunt this side of the state while there is still a few moose left here. Or do I wait and hold out for one of the top areas which could take forever? Everyones opinions will be very appreciated.

CT, ya know I am gonna tell ya 23.........but 26 wouldn't be to bad .....

11 points should give ya pick of the litter.... as a resident.

Robb

I dont know.

Every year I see people draw the snowy's and then shoot an average bull. Seems like a waste to me. They could have done that YEARS before they drew the Snowy's.

If you're a person that will hold out and actually hunt the snowey tag or bighorn tag rather than just dust the first decent bull you see...I'd wait.

If not, apply for the units you can draw.

A bird in the hand..... You can apply again in 5 years, so you might even get a second hunt in before you get too old if you draw sooner. Really, I do not see getting an absolute top end trophy as important on stuff you do not get to hunt much as it is on stuff you can do every year, like deer and elk. It takes something more special to make a more common hunt stand out, whereas a hunt for something different will always stand out anyway.

The other posts make good sense. But it seems you are only 23-24 years old. So would waiting another 5 years or so give you a tag you really want? Then a 5 year wait and another 20 years on top of that you are still in your early 50s for the second hunt. Draw now and you will be in your late 40s for the second hunt. That isn't much of a difference. If you want to have certain type of hunt then wait it out. If not then put in for sub-par units. In the end, what is 5 years when you are in your 20s???

Chester,

I would not apply for an area that I cant get to and scout thoroughly. Even then, you would need to do the scouting during the hunting season to really see whats up, and who wants to make that sort of commitment? Some I guess, but not me. There are some fine bulls down in that country of yours and you are already familiar with it. I would hunt closer to home and get the tag now.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom