WY NR Fees - Did it pass?

The bill to raise special fees goes before the Legislature after the first of the year.

Thanks JM. What's the general feeling on whether it will pass or not?
I am hope it will not pass. But I am not sure many residents give a crap if it does and as a result there will be only a small but somewhat vocal minority against the increase..

As a NR, I hope it doesn't pass! $374 to $826 is a big increase!

Thanks guys. I'll pay attention next year.

Deer and antelope will be $1198 total for a special license.
Will the regular draw be $826? Section J, that I didn't see in the link, must reference the special draw. Either way, it's a big increase.

My last DIY Wyoming trip was less than $1000, including $400 for the license/habitat stamp and $120 for the points. And yes, I shared them with my 2-point in-laws!! Oh no, I promised I would keep this thread to facts and non-controversial topics!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

WY License Increase.JPG

Per the link, if approved, it would go into effect in 2024. Per JM, it is scheduled to go before the legislature in 2023.

So a nonresident antelope tag is more than a deer tag? Also, the regular antelope is going to be 874? That's more than a high demand bull elk tag in New Mexico

This exemplifies how important nonres are in supporting the WG&F, WG&F revenue, and ultimately wildlife management in Wyoming. Currently nonres support 77% of license sales revenue. This number will likely increase even higher with the increase in special license fees.

Wyo res may not care or believe higher nonres tag fees will impact them but it's apparent that nonres are important when it comes to tag quota decisions (90/10) when nonres support such a high % of the WG&F revenue!

You can only imagine what happens to the WG&F license budget if 1/2 of the nonres limited tags are stripped from nonres with 90/10 or any other proposals. I say bring it on! It will likely make it that much tougher for 90/10 or any other other nonres tag cuts to happen!

Bottom line, outfitters who are nonres only voice in Wyo will have more power to get things passed if higher nonres fees become reality!

Res_Vs_Non-1024x499.jpg

The revenue increase for special nr licenses will pay for 90/10 DEA.

At least that's what I was told.

The revenue increase for special nr licenses will pay for 90/10 DEA.

At least that's what I was told.
I wish that would be the case…. LOL, but from what I am seeing there is not really a need for any price increase. At least from what I understand the Game and Fish are not broke and it does not sound like this is being done to fill any gaps. It also does not appear to be tied to any specific need for wildlife, manent, access, habitat, etc.

I hate the idea that we are going to raise prices this drastically, increase revenue that much, and it is really nothing more than giving a state agency a blank check that will only bloat the agency and not necessarily do anything for hunting, access, etc.

So nonres will support around 90% of the WG&F revenue with the new increase in special tag prices and then Wyo will stab nonres in the back by cutting limited nonres tags in 1/2 with 90/10?

Makes an incredible amount of sense to me! I really don't see 90/10 happening! I can see the benefit of the WG&F using the additional $ generated by increasing tag fees to directly improve wildlife habitat, highway fencing projects, predator control, etc! Now that makes a heck of a lot more sense!

OK, I was confused. So I read the proposal again. I may still be confused, so here goes.

A current NR deer license is $374. To enter the special draw is an additional $288, for a total of $662.

The proposal is to increase the fee for the special draw from $288 to $826.

Does the proposal increase the fee for the regular draw? I didn't see anything about that.

Thanks.

OK, I was confused. So I read the proposal again. I may still be confused, so here goes.

A current NR deer license is $374. To enter the special draw is an additional $288, for a total of $662.

The proposal is to increase the fee for the special draw from $288 to $826.

Does the proposal increase the fee for the regular draw? I didn't see anything about that.

Thanks.
Not the way I understand it. It is meant to make the special tags more exclusive and as a result more likely to go to guide/outfit hunters.

The regular tag cost stays the same…

What a lot of nonres don't realize is that with 90/10 there would be 1/2 of the limited tags issued for e/d/a. Nonres landowners currently take their cut of tags off the top of the pile before the drawing even takes place. Also, nonres landowner tags are currently unlimited in number for those that qualify!

With nonres landowners taking their cut plus tags cut in 1/2 with 90/10 that may actually leave 0 tags available in the special draw. It's already the case in 111 elk. It really doesn't matter if special prices increase if there are no nonres special tags available! The WG&F doesn't advertise this for good reason and there are no landowner tag stats available in harvest or draw odds reports. Most nonres don't even know this is going on!

With that said, there is no way nonres draw odds are going to improve unless 90/10 disappears over the horizon! Do you really think Wyo outfitters are going to stand back and let 90/10 slash away 1/2 of the nonres quotas..it would be like them slitting their wrists with so few tags issued to nonres.

My thoughts exactly.

Thanks Elks, and JM.
What I was thinking was the difference in draw odds between the special and regular will separate more. Currently there is about 1 point difference. Fewer NR's will apply in the special due to the cost, hence making it easier if you pay the price.

Lots of other factors involved, such as 90/10, and whether it passes or not. We'll just have to wait and see.

What I was thinking was the difference in draw odds between the special and regular will separate more. Currently there is about 1 point difference. Fewer NR's will apply in the special due to the cost, hence making it easier if you pay the price.

Lots of other factors involved, such as 90/10, and whether it passes or not. We'll just have to wait and see.
It will be interesting.
I honestly don’t think there will be much change in odds. I would be really surprised if it made a 3% change in odds…

It will be interesting.
I honestly don’t think there will be much change in odds. I would be really surprised if it made a 3% change in odds…
It might not change much in the higher demand areas, but I think it will make a big change in those lower demand units. Are non-res going to pay $1200 for an Eastern Wyoming antelope or deer tag?

It might not change much in the higher demand areas, but I think it will make a big change in those lower demand units. Are non-res going to pay $1200 for an Eastern Wyoming antelope or deer tag?
More lower demand tags will become 100% in special and any leftovers will be rolled into the regular draw where there will be more applicants. There's a chance drawing odds could change very little.

I think people forget the intent of what the special tag was for. To increase the odds of getting a tag for those willing to pay more. In recent years the difference in cost has not been enough to make much of a difference in odds. So, whether the tag costs $500 or $5000 more than the regular tag it should be enough to create a real noticeable difference in draw odds. That's what it's for. No one has to pay the higher price, but if WY is going to offer a special tag then it should have some real benefit. For those complaining about it, I think a more valid argument would be removing the "special" tag altogether, not how much it costs.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom