WY Rifle Builders

Southpawshooter

I am looking at getting a rifle made, and was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for a rifle builder in WY. I have a GA Precision, and was considering Gradous Rifles or Jon Beanland rifle. If I can find someone who builds an accurate rifle I may keep my money here in WY. Any thoughts?

Gunwerks is as good as any in the country, but I'm not sure what you want or if they'd do it.

Stay thirsty my friends

If yer near Casper, RGS is one of the best. Dale Story has been building custom rifles for 40 years or better. His son in law Robert is running the shop with him. Won't go wrong with either...

LAST EDITED ON Apr-09-13 AT 11:45PM (MST)[p]Twisted barrel produces some amazing rifles also. He has many options especially in the fluting aspect. A gradous or beanland rifle is a work of art though.

Thanks for the responses guys. I have never heard of twisted barrels, and Dale Story might be a good choice.

I agree Gunwerks makes some nice rifles. Just a little too much for me money. I can put a Gradous build together for a little over $4k with a Surgeon Action.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Since you already mentioned Jon Beanland I'll 2nd that thought. If you have never talked with Jon you should before you go with anyone else. I've had Jon build me two 7mm-08's over the last 18 months, my most recent one just arrived a little over a month ago. For me anyway, its the perfect hunting rig. And like all Beanland Customs the fit & finish it great and yes it shoots:) Jon is currently running about 6 months on a build, I had heard on another forum that Gradous isn't taking any new builds until hes finished a few.

Lots of great builders out there, good luck on your build!!

I have heard more and more people complain that the quality of Gunwerks rifles has suffered since the company started mass-production. I shot my HS Precision/Swarovski set up with factory federal ammo alongside a client of mine with a Gunwerks/Nightforce set up with their proprietary ammo on an Asian sheep hunt in February. My rifle shot noticeably better groups at 500+ yards. HS Precision is not a Wyoming company but close, Rapid City. HS has a .5 moa guarantee, great service and manufacture all components for their rifles in-house. I highly recommend them.

Dale Story's rifles are nice looking if you prefer the hexagon-fluted barrels he likes to use. I am not sure he will put an accuracy guarantee behind his rifles and the build time is quite long. Back when I didn't know any better and used piece-of-$h!t Christensen Arms rifles he was my go-to guy to fix them when they had problems. Dale is/was the best gunsmith in Casper, in my opinion.

Matt Mosteller - Ridge Rifles. He makes an amazing gun and he is a hell of a marksman. The guns he turns out are tested and true. I'd give him my money all day long. I'm sure the other suggestions are good but I know several gun owners that have purchased from matt. You can't go wrong and he's not a big production maker just trying to spin a profit. Good luck.

>I have heard more and more
>people complain that the quality
>of Gunwerks rifles has suffered
>since the company started mass-production.
>I shot my HS Precision/Swarovski
>set up with factory federal
>ammo alongside a client of
>mine with a Gunwerks/Nightforce set
>up with their proprietary ammo
>on an Asian sheep hunt
>in February. My rifle shot
>noticeably better groups at 500+
>yards. HS Precision is not
>a Wyoming company but close,
>Rapid City. HS has a
>.5 moa guarantee, great service
>and manufacture all components for
>their rifles in-house. I highly
>recommend them.
>
>Dale Story's rifles are nice looking
>if you prefer the hexagon-fluted
>barrels he likes to use.
>I am not sure he
>will put an accuracy guarantee
>behind his rifles and the
>build time is quite long.
>Back when I didn't know
>any better and used piece-of-$h!t
>Christensen Arms rifles he was
>my go-to guy to fix
>them when they had problems.
>Dale is/was the best gunsmith
>in Casper, in my opinion.
>

There are a few guys working out of their garage or basements that like to put out the narrative that we don't have quality because we are a "big" mass production shop. Not true. We are a small shop that builds one specific type of product, and we do it very well. We test every rifle, break-in, data, and configure, and we support our customers. If they have a problem with performance we offer support, if a product ever has a problem, we fix it. Half MOA is a pretty easy standard to meet. If you just want a rifle, selection isn't that important, but if you want to shoot long range, take a real close look at our integrated system: rifle, scope, ballistic turret, ammo, and ballistic rangefinder. The guys in the basements and garages don't offer the same kind of product.

>There are a few guys working
>out of their garage or
>basements that like to put
>out the narrative that we
>don't have quality because we
>are a "big" mass production
>shop. Not true.

>The guys in the basements
>and garages don't offer the
>same kind of product.

I will not question the quality or performance of your product. From what I have seen and handled you make a very fine rifle.

I must say however, I have known some damn fine machinist/gunsmiths over the years that performed genius from their shops in basements and garages so I certainly wouldn't disparage those that do.

Chad Chapman out of Rock springs is making some very fine rifles with a very unique look, I dont want to blast his number out over the net but if you interested in talking to him PM me and ill give you his number.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom