Wy Sheep Outfitters

440sixpack

I should draw my sheep tag this year , if not then next year. I've talked to several outfitters in the Cody area and I have to say they all seem like good guys and like they run great outfits.

Right now it's pretty much a flip of a coin as to who to go with I can't find anything wrong with any of them from our conversations. does anyone have any insight on who has the better reputation or a reason a guy should think twice? most of the time I pick who I like best right off but this is tough.

Stay thirsty my friends

LAST EDITED ON Jan-27-13 AT 09:23PM (MST)[p]Lost Creek Outfitters and Elk Mountain Outfitters are a couple that come to mind that always place high in success. Lee Livingston is another Outfitter.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Colby Gines with wilderness adventures runs a good operation. his father in law is Jake Clark who also has a big oufttting operation. K-BAr-z has a good sheep guide. I can give you his name if it was your pick....

I've talked to Lee, Mead and Griz , I like all 3 that's my problem. Mead sounds pretty booked up. I wouldn't rule out someone else but these 3 always seem to come up in a positive way, maybe that should tell me something.

If anyone wants to say anything but not in a public forum just PM me.

Stay thirsty my friends

I think Griz guided the governors tag last year and really knows his sheep if I am thinking of the right guy.. Is he with Shoshone something outfitters?

Lee has a good success rate.

I don't know mead

I would go with Griz Turner of Lost Creek Outfitters. Meade Dominick is also good. Both are nice guys. I know that one of the outfits mentioned in this post came up empty on an Area 2 sheep hunt in 2012. Choose wisely.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-28-13 AT 08:21AM (MST)[p]im from the area and I have never heard of 7D outfitters. There is a 7D ranch up in the sunlight basin Ranch owned by the holdings which own Sinclair oil so i wander if its related together.

looks like you got some good picks. I know area 1 last year was a pain last year to hunt. I went with a guy and all the sheep were in the timber. made for a super tough hunt..

and I was wrong on griz, it was shoshone lodge outfitters that guided the governors tag. I know a guy that went with him this last year and got a super nice ram. they have a guy that is an awesome sheep guide.

My dad went with Griz Turner a few years ago, and he spoke very highly of him and the operation. He also got a very nice ram.

I can't vouch for the rams killed in units near Cody by Elk Mountain (Mike Wakkuri), but I can vouch for fact that he's a sheep killing machine near his home on the eastern side of WY. I also can vouch that he and his family are honest and very down to earth people who are passionate about hunting. I drew a unit 7 elk tag a few years back and hunted with him.

They pulled out the stops for me

7D Ranch and 7D Outfitters are one and the same. Not owned by Holdings, owned by Meade Dominick's family. Seven families are the owners, hence 7D Ranch.

My Thorofare elk outfitter always told me this guy was the most hardcore sheep outfitter he knew.

Justin Jarrett at Wapiti Ridge Outfitters

There's some impressive critters in his photos...

>7D Ranch and 7D Outfitters are
>one and the same.
>Not owned by Holdings, owned
>by Meade Dominick's family.
>Seven families are the owners,
>hence 7D Ranch.

hmmmmm, do they have a tie with holdings. since holding owns sunlight ranch and all that land there. I have ran into ranch hands and they say they work for the holdings.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-28-13 AT 09:50PM (MST)[p]

I'll check some of these out that I haven't talked to. the choices in units they have is adding to my dilemma, their opinions are quite different on some units.

I'll check Justin out, I can't remember if he's the one who brags about how long the shots they take are or not, someone I remember does. I don't want any part of that outfit.

Stay thirsty my friends

>LAST EDITED ON Jan-28-13
>AT 09:50?PM (MST)

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>I'll check some of these out
>that I haven't talked to.
>the choices in units they
>have is adding to my
>dilemma, their opinions are quite
>different on some units.
>
>
>I'll check Justin out, I can't
>remember if he's the one
>who brags about how long
>the shots they take are
>or not, someone I remember
>does. I don't want
>any part of that outfit.
>
>

most likely morning creek outfitters, the guy is a snob. his show is best of the west. I would stay away from that jerk

nfh+1

I can't stress this enough. Choose wisely. Griz Turner and Meade Dominick have a long history of delivering on sheep hunts. They are also both good guys. I can't say that about some of the outfitters I run into in the Cody area.

mh

All great guys and good feedback. You should also put John Porter on your list. Nice guy, knows his stuff and has been guiding in that country for a long time.

I'm not a big fan of the Best of the West long range deal, especailly for hunters using a borrowed rifle. But other than that, I'd sure go with John in a heartbeat as well.

But again, sheep hunting in Wyoming is a wonderful experience, and any of those mentioned will get you into sheep in some great country.

And the bonus is - you'll also see TONS of griz.

440, it sounds like there are plenty to pick from. Try to find one who hates teabaggers and loves Obama so you don't spend the entire hunt arguing.

Eel

hey 440 let us know if you draw the tag and which outfitter you choose.

I would seriously stay away from john porter, I run into the idiot on the trail-heads a lot. he is very ignorant and rude. he gets pissy with other hunters, thinks he owns the mountain.

>440, it sounds like there are
>plenty to pick from. Try
>to find one who hates
>teabaggers and loves Obama so
>you don't spend the entire
>hunt arguing.
>
>Eel

Now that's funny and I don't care who you are! As an aside, I hate that long range stuff where they give some schmuck a gun he's never shot before and then tell everyone how easy it is as if he was shooting at 50 yards!

>
>Now that's funny and I don't
>care who you are!
>As an aside, I hate
>that long range stuff where
>they give some schmuck a
>gun he's never shot before
>and then tell everyone how
>easy it is as if
>he was shooting at 50
>yards!

Topgun your right, I know a guide and if they get set up on a elk at 200 yards they find a way to get out to 800+ yards. he sends me his hunting clips. they got an antelope at 1300 yards. they didn't realize they hit it till it ran and fell down. its a bunch of crap

Justin Jarrett. Wapiti Ridge Outfitters good all around guy, and a great hunter. Also Colby Gines is a fabulous man and a hard hunter. I don't think you could go wrong with either of these two.

nfh,

"He is very ignorant and rude. He gets pissy with other hunters, thinks he owns the mountain".

If that is the criteria, I could add a few others to the list. The real culprit is the USFS which continues to issue use permits to some of these outfitters despite their behavior.

Finding an outfitter who respects the rights of the foot soldiers and DIY guys is a tough proposition. That is why I suggested Griz Turner and Meade Dominick. They are respectful of other hunters and they know what they are doing. A rare combination in the guide and outfitter business.

>nfh,
>
>"He is very ignorant and rude.
>He gets pissy with other
>hunters, thinks he owns the
>mountain".
>
>If that is the criteria, I
>could add a few others
>to the list. The real
>culprit is the USFS which
>continues to issue use permits
>to some of these outfitters
>despite their behavior.
>
>Finding an outfitter who respects the
>rights of the foot soldiers
>and DIY guys is a
>tough proposition. That is why
>I suggested Griz Turner and
>Meade Dominick. They are respectful
>of other hunters and they
>know what they are doing.
>A rare combination in the
>guide and outfitter business.

I agree.. couple years ago I ran into a couple of outfitters that were looking for sheep and I was looking for mountain goats. they gave me some info and I shared my info on sheep that I seen. heck they even shared a beer and told stories. now that's a great attitude to have. lot better than most outfitters

+1 on Meade and Griz. Meade has been 100% for the last 5-6 years. Also, Josh Martoglio of Shoshone Lodge Outfitters. Top notch. Josh had 3 of the 5 Govenors tags last year. All killed good rams.

Porter is associated with Best of the West, good, but may try to get you to shoot 600-800 yards. My thinking is if you are a sheep hunter you should be able to get to within 200-300 yards or wait aother day, but maybe that is just me. I have taken a few sheep and all between 200-250yds.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom