WY sheep tag 35 years from now?

Craig

Very Active Member
I was looking at the Eastmans magazine and it said if you start putting in for Sheep now with 0 points, The draw will cycle through everyone in front of you in 35 years. Do you think that is a accurate time frame.

Im 34 so can I be sheep hunting in WY when i'm 69?

LAST EDITED ON Feb-11-11 AT 08:56PM (MST)[p]sounds about right, I have 6 or 7 points and according to the data someone on here posted, I will be around 75 or 80 years old before I get one.

....in about 6 years sharia law will change those odds....

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

WY is likely cutting the tags to the pref pnt pool from 75% to 50% so longer, and factor in wilderness in a lot of units and the better DIY units will take longer.

35 years is like 1000 in sheep years. Sheep areas can change in a matter of months.... die-offs happen all the time, and can forever change the sheep population in an area. In the late 80's the Wind River area had a ton of sheep and the tag quotas in areas 8,9,10 & 23 were great. Now there are just a handful of tags compared to the glory days.

One bad event (disease, bad winter, predation, % tag allocation, etc..) in areas 3,4,& 5 and the wait could be MUCH more than 35 years.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-13-11 AT 07:19AM (MST)[p]If you use unit 5 as an example there were 13 nonres tags issued last year with over 1,000 applicants in the pref pt draw. This doesn't include all of the sheep applicants that apply for a pref pt! If the WG&F doesn't change the draw system and the same applicants apply for the same number of tags it would take 77 years to cycle through the system in unit 5. Wyo res would filter through in 45 years in unit 5 in the pref pt draw. The random draw pool takes out a chunk of applicants each year so these figures don't include them.

All I know is that it took me 32 years and I started in 1977. Odds were better then. I'm thinking that you'd be lucky to draw in 35 years unless you know someone who helps manage the drawing.

35 years multiplied by $100 (per preference point) = $3500. You can bet the farm that the preference point fee will increase in the next 35 years in addition to the cost of the sheep tag. That being said you could put your money in some other type of investment and go hunt a variety of other critters in your lifetime somewhere else on God's green earth...

I should take my own advice but I've got 11 preference points for sheep so does that mean I only have 24 more years to wait??? By my fuzzy math I'll only be 71 when I finally draw unless I cash it in before then.

Best of luck in the drawings!

songdog;
I have 11 points also and it looks like we have 10-15 years to go..... or more.

Yup, if you have zero points it will probably take at least 3 decades to draw.

Zeke

That is worse case scenario! i track my own situation like a dog......going into the 2009 draw there were 7294 hunters with the same or more points than me. Going into the 2010 draw there were 6078 hunters with the same/more points than me. Going into 2011 there are 5421 with the same/more than me. That is a gain of 1873 spots in 3 years! It will still be along time, but I/we are gaining. In addition you have the random chance in the "best" areas!

I currently have 10 sheep points and I remembered when I first started ($7 a point)I thought it was going to be a waste of money. Now with 10 points I can see the light...a tiny light, but a light never-the-less. The moose point game is even better, I'll draw a good tag within 5 years. I hear lots of people are getting out of the game...time will tell. Then again it might cost us $5,0000 for the tag when we finally draw and Wyoming may have changed the law requiring all out-of-state sheep permit holders must have a guide.

I paid the $100 the 1st year they had that, checked the stats to see how many guys stayed in, then bailed dumping my 7 points. There are much better investments for my $100/year.

One sheep management issue that needs more attention is disease problems involving domestic sheep. Grazing of sheep on public lands is a disaster. for example in the Bighorns near my home there is but one small herd of bighorn sheep. Much of the range is unnocupied bighorn range. It remains unnocupied because of grazing of domestic sheep by a handful of operators. Game and fish doesnt address this and the forest service can't do much because of politics. Even hunters won't criticize cowboys in this state when even when the activities of cowboys and sheep herders directly affect wildlife resources.

The key to more tags is more healthy bighorn sheep herds

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom