Wyoming 102

HiMtnHntr

Very Active Member
After quite a few years applying, I finally pulled the tag. I have spent some time in the area, so I know the lay of the land pretty well. I'm interested in chatting with people who have hunted the unit recently(archery or rifle) that might be able to give me some additional information on the area. I live fairly close to the area, so I'll be able to scout a bit. I appreciate any info you can provide, pm or email, [email protected].

I hunted it a bunch..
last year some here drew it! but I could not get any results to how it went last year!
I think its an ok area..just get on your feet and glass!
ASPEN MT,PINE MT are good spots, ask the Elk hunters too!
rm

I think Rackmaster nailed it. It is an ok area. With draw odds of around 2% I do have to admit that I expected a little more but... I hunted it last year for the first time. Scouted hard and learned the area for a total of 5 weekends pre-season in August and September. I then hunted the area for 9 days in October. I saw lots of bucks but only one that would have broken the 180 mark (pre-season) and ended up shooting the 2nd biggest buck I saw which was a 170 class 4x4. I am not even going to pretend to be an expert on the area since I've only hunted it one time but here are my opinions. There are too many tags given out for such a small easily accessible area. The majority of these bucks are shot as 2 and 3 year olds and never get a chance to grow up. It is amazing how many people will shoot young bucks with this tag. The genetics in the area, for the most part, are just not all that great. Don't get me wrong there are some bucks with good genetics but I think the majority of the bucks will never be monsters. Here is a prime example. My 170 class buck was aged at 6 1/2 years old. A good friend of mine sent me video of him from the year previous during the rut and he didn't change a bit. He was most likely all he would ever be... I'm sure that these drought conditions have not helped with antler growth much but even with a wet year I still don't think even the 3 year old bucks will be very big. I believe the Wyoming G&F stated that they have an average age class of 6 years in the area. I just can't see that being even close to the truth. I'd say more like 3 years average maybe. If you are looking for a great place to shoot an average buck this is the unit for you. If you're looking for a good place to possibly shoot a great buck I think I'd still rather take my chances in one of the general regions (G, H or K).

All that being said I still had a great hunt and a blast chasing the bucks around. I just think the area has some issues when it comes to trophy quality, that's all.

Best of luck to you. If you have any questions or would like more specific information shoot me an e-mail or private message and I'll be glad to help.

NvrEnuf

Everyone is dead right about this unit. Way to many tags and 99% of the country is easily accessible. Still a couple of good bucks but they are few and far between.
Red Desert Outfitters is a good idea. I guide for RDO and last year we killed some nice bucks last year with the biggest being a 198" 6x4. The year before the biggest was a high 190's 8x9.
A wonderful unit for a 170 buck
eric,

Right on the money,guys.There are some 190 bucks in the unit-few and far between.The unit is over-rated,mainly because of what Shawn said earlier-too dang many tags.I would disagree with Shawn's genetics theory,however.It's pretty tough to grow big when you get whacked at 3 yrs of age.Too many tags,and too many guys fill thier tags on the last day with a 2 or 3 yr old buck instead of just eating tag soup.Once you try it,it's really not that bad-a little salt,pepper.Historically,this unit has been known to produce some awesome deer.Doesn't matter how good the genetics are if none of them get a chance to age!

Just a piece of info. Garth Carter had this rated as his #1 area for non-residents, whatever that's worth. Anyway, I didn't draw it, so good luck to those who did. Let us know how the hunt goes.

With all that said, guess I'll start researching for a more favorable unit. Better draw odds and equal or better quality. Good luck to those that drew.

had a friend draw it 2 years ago and killed a monster. Green scored 200 typical, huge deer. Shot it from the road, I have no idea where they were, but it was a HUGE deer.

200"typ shot by a road hunter huh!.....when in DEC?
I would like to see that happen and a picture, indeed that would be the exception and very lucky indeed!
The biggest I saw there was at midnight a night before a storm when I was driving to town (GREEN SPRINGS) to ride out weather over night and I saw a nice 195"ish 4x4 standing in the road around a turn and I think he was in from Co side because it was last week and I was way south!
jack

Nontypical, I agree that their are some great genetics in the area. A lot of the younger bucks show definite potential. When I got home and watched my video I realized that I probably said, "Just one more year" about 15 times while videoing a buck that was almost a shooter in my mind. On the other hand I did notice a quite a few large 3pts and even a couple big 2x3's though. I guess you find that in most limited areas after a few years.

I sure wish WY would back off on the tags a bit and really let this area produce the type of bucks that it's capable of. One problem with reducing tags of course is that that the draw odds are already bad enough. Hey, I know what they could do!!! Once everyone has exhausted all efforts in their search for a HUGE muley they could allow the buck deer tag to be used for any elk or any antelope on the last 2 days of the hunt! That way everyone could get their freezer meat and the muleys would still have a chance to grow and mature with even less competition for feed and habitat! :)

Good luck with your hunt Jonathan. You'll have a great time out there I'm sure and with a little luck you just might nail a big one.

NvrEnuf

HMH,

The biggest deer I have ever seen on the hoof was in your unit. That was 15 years ago, but he was a big bruising nt. Maybe it is over-rated, but give it hell and prove them wrong!

Nvr does know his deer though. Even if one monster exist you have a chance. Good luck.

I appreciate the info guys. I love the country and I'm trilled to draw the area after a long wait. I'm happy to have the chance to take a nice deer and look forward to seeing some respectable bucks on the hunt. Thanks again for your comments.

Shawn-Amen to the big 3x3's and 2x3's there.What gets me is this:Last year I'm guiding this dude who has never killed a muley over 20" wide.I got him on at least 3 big 3x4's;26" type bucks,tall and heavy-I'm talking 4 yr old and older type bucks.He passes on all those bucks,then shoots a 20" 4x4(2 yr old)on the last day.Go figure.He shoots the future trophy instead of the mature,older(and wiser,making him more of a trophy in my eyes)buck.A lot of this goes on in 102,which further exacerbates the problem.These big 3x3's and 2x3's live to be 6-7-8 yrs of age,while the 2 yr old 4x4 gets whacked.Later.

Yep NTyp, you nialed it. Thats exactly why pt. restrictions that some think is the cure all don't work as a long term management harvest strategy.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

I can't believe it but, my buddy drew this tag this year so maybe we will see you on the hill. Good luck HiMtnHntr.

i hunted this unit last year with my bow and had a blast. My sugestion is to archery hunt the unit, take buddies with you, good optics, and some radios. The unit is so wide open that you can pick bucks out in there bed and hunt all day. I put blind stalks on deer getting guided in by my bro over the radio. It was a blast. I may get beat up for using radios but i think its a must for the wide open country. Best part about the unit is if you archery hunt it then rifle you get 45 days to find the one you want. Take a coyote call and pop some dogs if you get bored there are a butt load.

The radios would kinda take the fun out of it for me, but it's good to see there could be some good hunting during the archery season.

That's a fact Smoktem! It seems like every morning at first light the silence would be broken by a million of the little suckers howling up a storm! Towards the end of my hunt I finally had to stop shooting them for fear of running out of bullets! I think I killed 5 coyotes out there while scouting/hunting last year. I missed a couple too! :) Here is a picture of one young dog my boy and I shot. I knocked the thing down with my .223 and then my little hunting buddy finished him off 5 or 6 times with his BB gun. Lucky for us he had his BB gun when we walked over to check the thing out. I could have sworn I saw it wiggle so he took care of it! :)

scoutingwy8-5-06011.jpg

Some say it's stupid to shoot at dogs while you're hunting deer but I wonder how many fawns/deer those 5 coyotes would have killed in their lifetime?... I say nail a few coyotes while you're out there, you'll be giving back a lot more muleys than you end up taking home.

NvrEnuf

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom