Wyoming Advice

NVMULEDEER1

Hey guys I'm a NR and have 3 point for deer. I have hunted deer once near Baggs 4 years ago. Seen alot of bucks but only 1 big boy in 10 days. Looking for another place to try. Like hunting on foot and prefer not to use a guide but would be open to a drop camp.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Steve

Steve, in 2005, my partner and i used a packer to take us and our own gear to a spot on the map high up in region "H" that we wanted to camp and hunt from. This "packer" cost us about $750. each, was not affiliated or contributed to our hunting in any way, but did a heck of a taxi job getting us up the mountain(4 hr ride) and back down weeks later.

I'm sure our choice of campsite was not popular with the outfitters in that area but we moved in and set up several days before the opener and hunted a two full weeks. I can say without hesitation that it was the most fun and adventurous hunt i've ever had. We only did OK on our bucks but i got a "nice one" and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Once you pick the particular zone that you can draw or want to hunt, i'd call around to the various dude type ranches and try an get ahold of, talk the the guys who handle the stock for their trial rides, pack-in photo or fishing trips. Some of these guys are just seasonal contractors the Ranch uses. Come Sept-Oct they could be way slow and willing to hire out, get you, yours, and all your gear up and away, just right in the exact spot that you want to be.

That's how we did it! Good luck!!

Joey

Joey,
In Wyoming, a packer as you described has to work for a licensed outfitter. Also, a non-resident can't be drop-camped into a wilderness without a licensed guide. Not saying I agree with these laws, but they do exist.

Teepee, Sorry to be so ignorant but that was the first and only time that i/we have ever payed anybody to help with setting up a camp.

Knowing the BS boundary in "H" that we could and couldn't set up, we chose a spot that as Non-residents, we could.

Are you saying that even though this guy who supplies horses, professionally packs people into great high country spots all during the summer for a living, can't pack someone into a hunting camp in the fall even if they furnish no info, equipment, or supply's?

If that's the case, yes, that is a strange law. He was a taxi ride and great guy, nothing more!

Joey

I believe if he is paid for a service, spring, summer, winter or fall, he's an outfitter, and is subject to the rules.

Here's the Wyoming law about "packing services". I have my own stock, so don't have to worry about it. If someone else has a different take on this, I'd be curious. So, the way I read it, if you were packed in on horses for hunting, the packer would have to work for a licensed outfitter. Outfitters definitely have too much stroke in Wyoming.

23-2-407. License required for outfitters and professional guides.

(a) No person shall hold himself out as, engage in the business of or act in the capacity of an outfitter or shall engage in the occupation of a professional guide as an independent contractor or as an agent or employee, unless he is licensed as an outfitter or professional i) "Board" means the Wyoming state board of outfitters and guides established under this act;

(ii) "Outfitter" means a person including a hunting club, who advertises or holds himself out to the public for hire or remuneration to provide guide or packing services for the purpose of taking any big or trophy game animal, excluding any person who furnishes pack or riding animals and other equipment only to a hunter for his personal temporary use and any landowner providing outfitter services on private lands owned or leased by him. As used in this paragraph:

(iii) "Professional guide" means any person employed by or operating under an independent contract with a licensed outfitter to furnish personal services for the conduct of outdoor recreational activities for the purpose of hunting animals except any person employed by a licensed outfitter solely to care for, groom or saddle livestock, cook, cut wood or to transport people, equipment and personal property;

(iv) "Packing services" means transporting for hire or remuneration, hunters, game animals or equipment in the field for the purpose of taking any big or trophy game animal;

(v) "This act" means W.S. 23-2-406 through 23-2-418.

Thanks for the reply Piper! I wish it were more than "i believe".

I can't believe that a guy that gives horse back rides has to be a outfitter!! He well may have been, but that was not my impression.

I knew that some locals, guides, outfitters, would not like the story of how we did our hunt because it was really just too cheap and that nice, plus it put us right in some great country that they may have wanted for their themselves or their "clients". Too Bad!!

I really don't care about Guides, Outfitters, or the stupid Wy laws that prohibit tag holding U.S. taxpayers from some National Forest lands, "only during hunting season".

Don't get me wrong, i love hunting in Wyoming. The people of that state are truly awesome and many will go way out of their way to help you if they can, plus, it's always been better than fair hunting. It's some of the stupid laws that try to squeeze every last dollar from the non-res guys to the "outfitters" pocket that jack me up!

Joey

Thanks Teepee!!

For all i know, the guy who taxi'd us up the mountain very well could have been a licensed outfitter. I don't remember asking, to my knowledge, he didn't say one way or another.

I agree, "Outfitters definitely have too much stroke in Wyoming."

Joey

I know of one service in western wyoming that will rent you pack and saddle horses by the day. They then "go along for the ride", but of course can't resist lending a hand a bit. Obviously this crowds the law. And no this service isn't Wolfey. Wyoming is great but some of their laws, especially the wilderness thing, ....

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom