Wyoming Antelope Seasons

Trophy_Taker

I have a unit 73 tag this year and am trying to decide when to schedule vacation for the hunt. My first priority is finding and having an opportunity at a 75+ inch buck, but I would also like to hunt when there isn't a hunter on every hill, road, etc. This will be a diy public land hunt.

So my question is...would you hunt the opening with the crowds to give you the best chance at a great buck or wait until later in the season after things settle down? Do the goats get pressured onto private property after the opening? Do the larger bucks tend to get shot out early in the hunt?

If you don't want to hunt with the crowds,DO NOT hunt the opener!Half the people are done after the first weekend.If the opener is on a weekday,it may not be quite as bad.Nobody takes vacation for goats!They will go out after work,though.Schedule your vacation for the last week or 10 days,and you should have a great hunt.Plenty of good bucks will still be around.Couldn't tell you about the private land,though.Not familiar with the unit.I just know how the seasons around here usually go,and I'm sure its the same anywhere in the state.

All depends on when you go if you go later towards the end of the season you could go thru what we went through last year there. REMEMBER...when it snows and then melts those roads around that country are the pits to drive on lots of deep ruts and guys getting stuck tearing it up to get out.
4991p1000314.jpg

2nd day of our late hunt. It snowed when we were arriving in the Casper area.
4487p1000317.jpg

2 days later in same unit but farther north but still muddy around the area.

Brian
http://i48.tinypic.com/238eb6.jpg[/IMG]

I cannot remember the last time I went on opening day or even the first week or two. I choose to go later, see no hunters, enjoy time with dad and friends and shoot a nice goat if presented with the time. Went last year, looked at literally hundreds of bucks, didn't find the one I wanted after several days, enough on the wall already so i wanted something really special, and ate the tag and i was very fine with that.

+1 on going late - I've hunted Antelope in Wyoming for 25 years. The first few years I HAD to be there opening day and it was always the typical opening day 3 ring circus. Then a buddy talked me into going the 3rd week. Had a great hunt, never saw another hunter, and got a nice goat. I haven't hunted the first week since ! GOOD LUCK. Chip

With Goats I like to find a good one before the season and try and keep a eye on him until the opening bell and then kill him,
It just seems to work out better for us doing that instead of waiting to the last of the season good ones are hard to find.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

I'm going late in the season (mid October) with a buddy this year. First hunt for antelope in 2008 we went for opening two days which fell on a weekend. People everywhere in the unit! Only thing I worry about is the weather (crappy two tracks), and the goats will have already been picked through. So we are taking some chances, but we'll see how it goes. Good luck - perhaps I'll see you around.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom