Wyoming Antelope Success

troutcarver

LAST EDITED ON Sep-16-10 AT 08:50AM (MST)[p]We just got back from our Wyoming antelope hunt. it was a great experience for me and my buddy. I had experienced the Low and the highs of it all. Hopefully I can explain the hunt for all of you to enjoy.
We weren't able to be there the first day that the hunt opened but were there bright and early for the second day.

100_3434-1.jpg

My friend Scott has never harvested a big game animal. He has been hunting many of times but never had the opportunity to seal the deal. He was so excited that he wanted to shoot the first buck that we saw. i had to hold him back as we seen a lot of smaller bucks. As we were going along we spotted a herd of 30-40 antelope. There was one Buck that looked really good. We were about mile away and above them. We made our plan to stalk in on them. We hiked down a gully and got with in 130 yards of the herd behind a hill. As we crept up to the hill my friend Scott got ready for the shot. The buck was chasing another smaller buck away when he stopped and Scott made a perfect kill shot at 150 yards. We both couldn't have been happier at the way every thing turned out with the stalk and the shot.

100_3421.jpg

His antelope is 14 inches on one side and 13.5 inches on the other. A great first goat.

Now the bar has been set. I knew what I wanted because of the scouting trip I went on a few weeks earlier. We put a lot of miles on the truck and looked at a lot of animals. You get to a point where they all looks the same. We weren't seeing anything with any size to them. We cover most of the area in a day and a half. We finally went over to the other side of the unit to see what it held. We finally see a very good buck. As soon as we stop to see what he is he takes off with the group a 100 miles and hour down away for up. The group does cross the road but the buck turned and headed away from us. We finally catch up with him and got ahead of him. We made the stalk to as close as we dared. I got the distance on him at 330 yards. Boom I shoot high. In a flash he is gone and I'm sick. I blew my chance. All that work for one shot and he is gone. I thought about packing it up and heading home. Luckily we didn't.
We picked my Bro in Law up in town to have and extra set of eyes with us. We headed out again to find Mr. Big. Well it didn't take long to locate another good buck. These antelope were spooky. They didn't wait around for us to get ready so i took a quick shot and missed. They were off and running. We followed them up and over the hills. I really though we were chasing deer or elk in the country that these antelope were in. We finally caught up with them and made a plan for a stalk. We snuck into the trees and the antelope were on the other ridge 350 yards away. I took a solid rest when the buck stepped out of the aspens and shot. the first shot took his shoulder out and the second finished him off. Now the feeling of elation comes over me and to be very thankful for the opportunity to hunt these speedsters of the hills and plains.

100_3452.jpg

The 300 win mag did its job.

100_3474.jpg

When I seen this buck up close I found out how much character he really has. Both horns has multiple little points to them.

100_3467.jpg

Not sure what he will score. Not sure If i really care. He has one horn that is 14.5 inches and the other at 14 inches.
It was really a great hunt. Im so glad I got to share it with some great people.

Congrats to the both of you on a couple of Antelope that is nice. Got a month yet before I head back there myself to hunt Lopes.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

No better way to get your feet wet on big game hunting than a speed goat hunt! Both are nice goats. By the way troutcarver, anybody ever tell you that you look a lot like Ty Detmer? LOL

It's always an adventure!!!

Congrats on the nice looking bucks! Sounds like a great trip overall.

"Quitting is not an option!"

Thanks for the nice comments. I'm a little jealous of those still waiting to head out. For me it is on to Waterfowl and and upland game. This is the best time of year by far.
If your like me I really like to see pictures. So here are a few more of my hunt.

photo25.jpg

photo24-1.jpg

100_3451.jpg

photo4.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom