License Limitations
100-1​
Oct. 8 - Oct. 31​
Sep. 1 - Sep. 30​
Any elk​
100-2​
Oct. 22 - Nov. 11​
Sep. 1 - Sep. 30​
Antlered elk five (5) points or less on either antler; any elk valid within the Farson-Eden Irrigation Project​

I bet there was a bunch of people that would have applied for this permit if they would have know about the 5 point or less on the whole unit.
I saw it when the proposals came out and figured there would be some people that would swap over. I didn't think there would be as many as there was.

All of the good bulls inside the irrigation district got wacked last year. You're basically applying for a raghorn hunt this year.

Disregard my previous post lol, I was thinking of different scenarios that unit 100 has had all together the last few years I wished I would have tried to take advantage of, like hunting bigger bulls during archery season when type 2 was spike only until that oversight was corrected, or hunted that farson irrigation when the hunt started in august and killed a bull in velvet no matter the size ?, somethings are opportunities that may or may not ever be available again!!

Question: Is the type 2 tag good for the whole unit or is there a boundary for the Farson-Eden Irrigation Project, within the unit. 2022 regulation booklet not available yet to see unit boundaries. I did notice the big bifference in draw odds between the two. 5 point would be one factor.

Question: Is the type 2 tag good for the whole unit or is there a boundary for the Farson-Eden Irrigation Project, within the unit. 2022 regulation booklet not available yet to see unit boundaries. I did notice the big bifference in draw odds between the two. 5 point would be one factor.
Good for whole unit. Any elk within FE irrigation, 5 point or less outside FE Irrigation. Yes there is a special boundary for FE Irrigation

I expect elk would be using the irrigation to some degree your round, but do the bigger bulls winter more in there? Elk in general use it to winter?

I am not certain of where the actual boundary of the FE irrigation is. However, during the season setting meeting in GR this year I brought up a concern about this tag. My beef was why it was only good for 5 pnt or less in the whole unit but in the private land FE irrigation project they could shoot anything. Seemed to me that this could possibly set up a reason to harbor bulls on private to entice tag holders to pay a trespass fee. Average hunter can only sit on the wrong side of a fence for so long before he gets an itchy trigger finger and forgets about buying the kids new shoes. The bio/warden seemed to get pissed about this thought and stated that a high percentage of the FE area is public so I should have nothing to be concerned about and that the landowners really want people to kill the elk eating their hay so they would welcome hunters for free. Curious as to which the the two scenarios is more prevalent? Hopefully you report back as to what you find. Best of luck to you this season.

UPDATE for this thread for 2023 Season:

So I'm resurrecting this thread to let folks know that this year (2023) the 100-2 Elk tag changed quite a bit from what it was in previous years. It is more of a management depredation hunt than a way to kill a 5x6 or 5x5 outside the irrigation project. It is more than likely going to be 4 POINT or LESS on one side per the Game & Fish recommendations for the 2023 season.

What was listed for the hunt back in January when nonresidents put in is A LOT different than what the hunt will probably be this year. I spoke to the biologist and he believes the recommendations will be approved.

If you put in with a bunch of points on this hunt thinking you would be able to kill a nice 5x5 or 5x6 in unit 100 with this tag--think again, you may want to rescind or alter your elk application. Unless you want to roll the dice on a good bull visiting the hay fields--that can be hit or miss plus the private land issues.

Just a heads up--I was surprised at the change myself. Now I need to decide if I am going to take the chance with my points on this one--still undecided.

100-2.jpg

UPDATE for this thread for 2023 Season:

So I'm resurrecting this thread to let folks know that this year (2023) the 100-2 Elk tag changed quite a bit from what it was in previous years. It is more of a management depredation hunt than a way to kill a 5x6 or 5x5 outside the irrigation project. It is more than likely going to be 4 POINT or LESS on one side per the Game & Fish recommendations for the 2023 season.

What was listed for the hunt back in January when nonresidents put in is A LOT different than what the hunt will probably be this year. I spoke to the biologist and he believes the recommendations will be approved.

If you put in with a bunch of points on this hunt thinking you would be able to kill a nice 5x5 or 5x6 in unit 100 with this tag--think again, you may want to rescind or alter your elk application. Unless you want to roll the dice on a good bull visiting the hay fields--that can be hit or miss plus the private land issues.

Just a heads up--I was surprised at the change myself. Now I need to decide if I am going to take the chance with my points on this one--still undecided.

View attachment 107823
That's a pretty good way to make sure you don't draw it posting it on here. Especially if you read the regulation correctly that you posted yourself

That's a pretty good way to make sure you don't draw it posting it on here. Especially if you read the regulation correctly that you posted yourself
I don’t understand what you’re saying, can you elaborate? I’m just trying to share something I found that I think others may find useful.

Probably a safe bet that a big bull will be within two miles of the irrigation district at some point between the first of September and the tenth of November.

I don’t understand what you’re saying, can you elaborate? I’m just trying to share something I found that I think others may find useful.
These threads pop up on Google searches and this is a public forum and allot of applicants don't look at draft regs also that there says any elk for the first part of the season

I’m applying for 2 antelope , 2 deer and 116 elk , so if all you residents want to mess up my odds I won’t be to mad?, cause I’m a sharing person

I would much rather shoot a cow than a 4 point bull... those rag horns can be really hit or miss on the table.

We will see how it all comes out in the regulations. I put in as NR with one point and will stay the course ;). With that being said I plan on taking the wife to a Steak House for a steak after I get my unsuccessful and my refund. If a guy doesn't put in he has zero chance. This just makes it interesting!!!

We will see how it all comes out in the regulations. I put in as NR with one point and will stay the course ;). With that being said I plan on taking the wife to a Steak House for a steak after I get my unsuccessful and my refund. If a guy doesn't put in he has zero chance. This just makes it interesting!!!
If it gives you hope...I drew last year with 0 points. And plan to again this year.

If it gives you hope...I drew last year with 0 points. And plan to again this year.
Draw odds are always way better the first year of a new tag because the majority of people don't look at the draft regs. But it gets around pretty quick after the first year especially when people post it in public places that garners allot more attention.

When I saw this being discussed, I knew this would happen, those than got it in early like so many things in life got a great deal.

I’ll be honest - I pulled it in the NR random. I have drawn and filled a 100-1 tag and two 100-4 cow tags in the last 7-8 years. I just love the open country and looking at elk out there. It is really neat country to hunt in. Had just punched a cow tag out there in 2021 so decided I couldnt draw anything else and would see what would happen and applied for it. I had been watching these changes to the type 2 tags there and figured would give it a shot and found out someone actillay does get the random tags. Will do some planning and will try the irrigation early I presume just to see and if doesn’t work out find a rag horn farther out in the hills. Best of luck this fall!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom