Wyoming Area 19

Califelkslayer

Long Time Member
I'm lookin at this area. My partner and Dad are trying to talk me outta a NW Wyoming area I've applied for several times and this is a compromise, maybe.

I'm concerned with the private!!

I to archery hunt it and rifle if necessary. Any recommendations????

And would horses be an asset??

The regulations book marks the unit as difficult access, and not many units in regulations are marked that way. The G&F are telling the truth. Not sure why "Hunting Fool" touts the unit, when the truth is the tags have increased significantly over the years and produced hunter crowding on very limited public ground.

In archery, all seasons of rifle hunters(type 1, 2, 6, 4, etc) can hunt as well as the cow only hunters, and the deer hunters. I hear crowding is as bad as unit 7 if you follow those complaints.

If you've got horses, I'd go for the NW corner where you can really get away from people and into elk. Of course, if your going to draw the Wasatch, I'd just put in for a point.

Hunted it with a friend last year. Yes, private is a very big issue. When the snow came, the elk were on the private within a very short time.

If you luck out and work hard, you will see them on public. Not sure how that one hit the "hot list" on Huntin' Fool, but maybe they have a lot of outfitters working that area. They are also a booking agency, in addition to a research service.

We left without a bull. Had some chances at small six points, but not what we had hoped to find.

Good luck if you draw. If so, shoot me a PM and I will do what I can to help.

"Hunt when you can - You're gonna' run out of health before you run out of money!"

Thanks guys, that was my concern and why I asked. Truly I want to hunt 62 0r 121. Both will present us with 35-40% draw odds, remote country where the horses will be an asset,more my type of huntin.

My Dad's the one with 10 PPs in Utah and he decided if we draw WY, he'll change his UT app to PP only. He's not to convinced on the muzzy after rifle. He'd just as soon wait til next year when it changes. BUT we all know with the changes, past draw odds will be obsolete.

Thanks again.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom