Wyoming Bighorn

You can still change your choices through this month, so I doubt many of us will answer, but thanks for asking.

Can't. But I did try for a ewe tag in the same unit I hunted rams last year.

Good Luck!

5894mount1.jpg

Goldhunter,
I hunted unit 4 nine years ago, which is next to 22.
That unit is interesting "breaks" country, but doesn't have near the number of sheep nor the quality of rams that the real "Breaks"(Montana) have.
I was told that 22 sometimes has resident sheep hanging out there, but sometimes they come and go as well. Having the option to hunt 5 later on is very nice, but I have to take exception with the notion that September is for elk.
If you get a "priceless" sheep tag, I would spend every waking hour chasing rams. It is an amazing experience and that tag will not likely to come along again.
Good luck to you in the draws and keep us posted if it happens.

I'm in for area 4 with 15 NR points.

Since Garth dropped it from his top picks list I think my chances are good.

Stay thirsty my friends

I agree it will be the priority if I draw but there is a small chance to draw a Utah elk tag for September. Also a small chance to draw a Colorado sheep tag (September). So keeping my options open for the fall schedule.

I've never heard anything good about 22 except the Eastman's write up sounded decent. Would not have tried it without the option of hunting 5 in October.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-29-13 AT 12:29PM (MST)[p]I'm in 5 with 14 points, so still in random draw for a few more years.

Still nothing on the WY website saying when results will be released.

Still think Friday?

Stay thirsty my friends

Huntin Fool just sent out a message that they posted bogus information that it would be posted Friday. They confirmed the 8th as the real date.

Patience is a virtue!

Congratulations Sir Gold!
You are a lucky man and undoubtedly you have some serious planning to do. I wish you well in your Cowboy State adventure. I believe chasing wild rams is as good as hunting gets and it is worth every pennie.

Thanks. The first thing to figure out is if 22 is worth hunting or should I just plan on unit 5 in October. Have to get fit starting tonight.

I have spent some time in the overlap elk and 'E' deer if ya want some intel on the Rams I have seen....

I put in for 22 for quite a few years....

congrats on the tag BTW.

Robb

For the 2013 Wyoming non-resident (NR) bighorn draw, there were 45 permits issued in the preference point draw and 8 in the random draw. Of the 45 in the preference point draw, the distribution among point classes was:

PP / Permits

18 / 3
17 / 15
16 / 13
15 / 7
14 / 6
13 / 1

There were 22 applicants with Maximum Points, 18, going into the 2013 draw. Of these, 5 applied and 3 were drawn for permits. 17 did not apply. With 3 drawn, that means that 19 applicants with the new Maximum of 19 points will carry over to the 2014 draw, less any who do not participate in the preference point only draw held later this year.

We will have to wait until November when Wyoming reports the number of applicants eligible for the 2014 draw to determine the attrition rate of those dropping out of the preference points race, which will allow an estimate of the years remaing for each point-class to draw a Wyoming NR bighorn permit.

HT

I was amazed that Wyomings actual point results were available today. With technology what it is today, there seems to be no good reason to wait on releasing it.
As always HT, your numerical wizardry pops my cranium!
Why would 17 top point people not put in? Are they guys with more money than sense? I can attest to the fact that sheep mountains don't get any more gradual with age!
Anyway, I always look forward to your predictions and thanks for the update!

Why would 17 top point people not put in? Are they guys with more money than sense? I can attest to the fact that sheep mountains don't get any more gradual with age!

Most likely they already have other hunts lined up that they want to focus on. That is the situation for me. Points only for me this year.

Rob,

Any info would be appreciated. I googled the area a few weeks ago. Doesn't look like anything should be living there in the early fall.

Thanks,

Todd

Mr. Gold,
Just curious if you are headed into 22 or just waiting on 5?
It's got to be exciting, regardless of your plans.

I'm going to try 22 first in September, short 3 or 4 day trips. Then depending on how that goes maybe check out 5. I have not researched 5 at all to this point so I will have to do some calling. I have been told there will be a few rams to the north of 22 but most will be over the other side. Last year I did talk to an outfitter, he told me the better rams are in the wilderness. That of course would require hiring an outfitter. Not really in the budget and most if not all will be booked at this point anyway.

I am just going to dedicate a lot of time to the hunt in October. Last year I took a Friday and a Saturday off for elk hunting. Otherwise I haven't had a vacation or days off including weekends for several years so its time.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom