Wyoming bound in 2016

ss13

Hello again guys. I have been a registered member for about 5 years and a long time lurker. I have been to Wyoming three times in the last five year, 2 hunting trips and a Yellowstone vacation. My first trip out was a region F deer hunting trip, which resulted in a representative 4x4 coming home to Wisconsin. I loved hunting your state so much I brought my wife back for a pronghorn hunt in the Casper area. Both of us filled our tags on some nice bucks and then were able tour the area. Due to job restraints and a 1 year old boy I haven't been able to make it out in 2 years.

This year I plan on hunting something in your state. I have accumulated 5 points for deer, elk, and antelope. I guess I really done care what species I hunt, but would prefer to hunt elk or deer.

Regarding deer, I should have enough points to draw region G and obviously that should be a quality hunt with a possibility for a trophy. Could anyone suggest any other LQ areas worth burning 5 points on? I would be looking to have an opportunity to take deer in the 160+ range and see lots of game.

For elk I would be open to using bow or gun. I have looked at the bighorn areas, along with unit 53 and possibly 19. Could anyone give me advice on whether its worth burning 5 points on any unit for a first time elk hunter? Also, if anyone has experience with unit 53 could you please PM me, I have a few questions.

As always, I really appreciate the advice and tips you guys provide. I look forward to hearing everyone's opinion and feedback.

IMHO if I were you and had 5PPs for deer going into the draw next year I would put in for Region G and get out of that rat race first because that is probably your best overall chance at a buck like you want. I just did that hunt with my buddy and the country can't be beat, but to do it right you need to go horseback. With point creep it's possible that your 5PPs in the regular draw may not be a 100% sure thing, but it should be close. I'd buy PPs for the other two animals this year and continue looking at where you want to go for them, but know that the best BigHorn units are getting harder to draw without being close to max PPs. Antelope should be your easiest of the three animals to draw a good tag with your PPs in another year or two. Those are my thoughts and others may have differing opinions.

Topgun,

I think you may be right about the deer points. It seems that pretty much all the quality limited units will be tough to draw, even if I keep accruing points.

I'll be curious the see what others say.

Good news is that you can first apply for elk then later on if you don't draw you can decide on the deer and goats.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom