Wyoming Camo Patterns

R

Rcher

New member here. Hello to all. I have used the site off and on for a while. Lots of my huntin buddies spend countless hours here. I havent been on since moving back east. As luck would have it, I drew my first western tag (Wyoming)- antelope. This will be my first hunt there. I was wondering if anyone had a camo pattern preference? I believe blaze is a necessity, so it may be an irrelevant question. I have an entire Open Country set, but it seems awful bright to me. Thanks in advance.

Currently the best pattern would be an Oilfield or Gasfield worker pattern. If you can't find this pattern you might also consider Prairie Ghost as well. Good luck on your hunt!

Muleydoc

don't forget the blue KSI on the door.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
--Benjamin Franklin 1759

I've noticed most camo patterns are too dark for the prairie. Guys with darkish forest colored camo usually stick out like a sore thumb. Old patterns that have been run through the wash for several years and have faided are usually best for the prairie. Obviously areas with a lot of big sagebrush will have different colored camo than open grassland areas so it can change from region to region and even within a particular area.

No matter where I'm hunting I usually bring along a variety of camo. Once to the location I string them all out in the vegetation I'll be hunting and the ones that blend in the best and are best suited for the particular climate are the ones I use.

Good advice from Jims there.

I like ASAT. You can check them out here...

http://asatcamo.com/

The home front page is pretty amazing and is the 3d suit. I have that and love it especially for hot weather. You can get the regular (non leafy) BDU pants and use the 3D top. I do that quite a bit since I can just wear a t-shirt underneath. If you wear a white one under this, the camo brightens up a bit. Use green and it gets "greener". Pretty cool especially for AZ hot weather. I use it quite a bit, even dove hunting. The air just goes right through it and keeps me from burning up.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide. Never mind the silly previous posts. We always like to have fun here. Although, there is something to be said when you can ride a freakin' tractor up to 30 yards of a buck and they just stand there!

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

Thank you Chef for the help, and also to the others for the funny quips. If what I am hearing is true, then it sounds as if camo may not be an issue. Guess my buddy was joking when he told me I had to get proficient at the range from 400 yards.

If wearing camo makes you feel better, wear it. Not much to be gained if yer wearing a bright orange vest...

True, several years ago I blasted a bull elk at about 80 yards. The other four bulls ran in my direction at the shot since they had no idea where the boom came from. They were about four yards from me when I dropped the hammer on the finishing shot. Scared the lights out of them. I was wearing a blaze beanie and vest. Sitting next to a pine tree. They never saw me.

Chef

Best year I ever had hunting I wore a white T-shirt all through archery season and I never wear camo rifle hunting.

I swear, one of these days I'm gonna hunt wearing a Hawaiian shirt!

Chef

In WY you do have to wear orange, but you can just wear an orange camo hat and meet the legal requirements. They don't require 400 squre inches like UT or CO. I like the new Advantage Max-1 pattern for open arid country, but I think that the Cabelas open country, praire ghost, and deseret shadow stuff is good too. Hope you have a good hunt.
Dax

Growing up in Kemmererererer, I've chased many a goats. Camo isn't really needed for them. Wear something comfortable! I second the white t-shirt too. They are very curious and will often walk right to you.

If archery hunting them, setup with cover. Really doesn't matter alot what camo/clothes you wear out in the sage. Your shape gives you away long before your color selection. It's really hard to wipe out the shape of a body in all that sage no matter the pattern.

The posts above about the truck or oil field worker camo are hilarious... and dangerously true! :)

ODDNUT1
Kirt C.
Hunt Odds.com

What oddnut says!!!
Guiding antelope hunters in northern colorado for a few years I noticed camo doesnt seem to make much difference with antelope. they will pick you out even if you are only a fully camo'd out head peaking over the hill with a rock next to you. they can be tough sometimes and curious which can help.
basically dont worry about it much!
Jeff

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom