Wyoming Do-it-yourself public land

W

wffa2000

Hi ; Looking to hunt Wyoming next fall (2005) for mulies . Will be taking my 3 sons with me for their first trip west.We want to go on our own and for the first year quality is not a factor so quantity is.Would appreciate any help or info pointing us into the right area ? Will be coming from Wisconsin and would hunt for a week.Thanks in advance. If you wish to email me my address is [email protected].

thanks.
Kevin

A lot of places are hard to draw in Wyoming for Mulies. I hunted near Cody. It has been about 10 years, but it was a fairly easy area to draw and there were lots of deer. We actually went guided. Rembember that you can not hunt in Wyoming IN A WILDERNESS AREA without a guide. Nonwilderness areas area ok without a guide, but it does limit you as to where you can go. I have also heard that you can go with a resident and get around the guide requirement.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

A lot of muley bucks hang out in desert flats and such, so the wilderness area is not always a factor. One thing I would suggest is going on to the Wyoming Game and Fish page and check out the non res. draw odds information. The areas with the lowest odds are the most sought, in most instances that would mean it either has high quality deer or large numbers. Get area maps and regulations off of it as well. You may also be able to get maps that we have which indicate land ownership. If you have any questions you can email me at [email protected]. Hope that info helps out.
Michael

I've done it quite a number of times.

Really not much too it. We always applied for areas that had high odds of drawing and always got our license.

Do your homework, buy maps, talk to F&G people, etc. and you'll figure it out. There are millions of acres of public ground, but you need good maps to figure it out.

Biggest problem is finding a place with a good camp site that's not overrun with hunters and four wheelers. I'd recommend the end of season -vs- the start as much of the crowd is already done.

We always found deer and usually tagged out, but never fared real well in the trophy department. I've gone with groups of 3 and up to 7 hunters.

Next trip, my buddy and I are going just the two of us and plan on doing a real "mobile" operation as opposed to setting up a base camp. We'll travel till we find good hunting, then stay wherever we wind up at quitting time each day. Hard to do something like this with a large group.

We are hunting Region B for deer/antelope this fall. We plan to do the mobile camp thing on public land. We were supposed to hunt a ranch a friend of mine owned, but he has sold it since the tag application deadline. Fish and Game as well as the USFS has been a big help to us.

if anyone out there has any other info let me know i would appreciate it.

Four of us Flat landers from OH are trying it this year in "J". There is the Medicine Bow Forest and a little bit of BLM land. There is also a list of land owners that can be requested from various chamber of commerces or the DNR. I have done it twice for Antelope near Laramie and had excelent luck both times. This was on an unguided private ranch. We are doing all public land this time.

Hi guys,
I am from Laramie Wyoming area and an avid mule deer hunter. The deer hunting isn't real strong in the snowy range mountains, much better in the Pole mountain(medicine bow national forest) and red mountain areas. Red Mountain sits 30 miles West of Laramie on the Colorado border. I was up scouting for a friend Sat. and saw a couple nice bucks. I antler hunt up there and always find big sheds.
The biggest asset, I thought, was the warren livestock area in the medicine bow natioanl forest, but it recently sold and I don't think the new owners are as receptive to letting you hunt. It was 25,000 acres of good country. Also, every year it seems like somebody kills a big one around Albany Wyoming(30 miles SW of Laramie), but there are alot of cats and bears in the area.
Don't forget the Baggs and Sierra Madres( my buddy took a 180+buck from here), great deer are taken out of these areas consistantly. If you want to see lots of buck, try the early season around Big Piney and Daniel Wyoming. It opens September 15th and you see lots of deer. I have killed a 178+ and 169+ mule deer during this hunt, I also missed a buck up there that I don't like to think about-it hurts everytime..One last comment, the area below Fox Park Wyoming going into the Platte river holds big bucks. I saw one come out of there over 200 inches.Ultimately you need to go where there are big buck, and hunting them is alot diffrent then whities.
Marty
Wyoming

Marty, Have you ever ventured up into region J near the Laramie Peak area. I am trying to plan out my hunt for this fall. We will be on National Forest and BLM lands. Any tips?
Thanks Adam

be careful planning a hunt in the pole mountain area of the medbow east of laramie-most of that is closed to the general hunt. the only national forest thats open to a general tag up there is south of the interstate, a small area about 1x3 miles or so(triangle shaped) that little piece of ground can be good to hunt, as it doesn't get much pressure. red mountian is not in region j, its in d, but yes, it does hold good bucks. the laramie peak country holds some very good bucks, but remember it opens later than further south(mid october)it can also be a bit crowded.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom