wyoming drawing odds??

KLL

Help! Can someone tell what are my odds of drawing a elk tag (non resident)next year with no points or how long should it take to draw?

thanks, Kevin

Draw odds are different all over the state. A visit to the game and fish website will tell you what you need to know.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-21-07 AT 09:38PM (MST)[p]Thanks,
Do they give 28% of the tags for the regular draw and the rest of the tags go to the draw for people that have pref. points??
Kevin

25% to the Random draw......

So with 0 elk points your odds are...

Slim and none..... and slim just left the room.. ha

With 0 points and 2 tags in the Ramdom draw go for unit 31...ya got nothing to loose!

Robb

don't sugar coat it :)

with 2 tags total in the special NR for 31 there won't be any tags for the random draw.
Regular NR for 31 has only 3 total, again "0" avail for the random draw.

Yep, the odds look bad, Wyoming is becoming the next Utah, you get to hunt a few times in your lifetime, what a shame.

thanks, kevin

Plenty of guys drew good tags last year as second choices.

General Elk can be drawn if you put in special for sure (I think). I think even as a second choice.

I drew H deer second choice, a buddy drew K second choice, and I know several others...........

my dentist archery hunts a general area and sees 350 bulls on a regular basis. He does get up to 11,000 feet though.

well I'll be dipped in !@#$

I was looking at the "pref point index" and not the "regular draw".
I hate it when I'm wrong.

dang 122 apps for 1 tag.

I heard Wy had some issues last year with some people drawing their 2nd choice unit before some people drew their first choice unit. If they change it this year will it be harder to draw second choice units and saving your points?

my understanding is that all 1st choice apps were handed out then 2nd choice were drawn with preference point priority.

in other words, 1577 apps avail for NR point holders and 1194 with 1 point applied as 1st choice so it under subscribed. this was for the NR, pp, regular draw.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-24-07 AT 03:39AM (MST)[p]I do not know what to do with my 2 deer points.

102 or 128 or 82 or 90 or 101.......

Region G or K..... I don't want to waste my points 'just to draw' a tag type deal.

Robb

>save 'em.
> spend them and you'll be
>3 years behind.

...but you will be hunting...and most likely hunting every 2-3 years...I am still trying to figure out which route I need to go.

What do you think the draw odds will look like for, say, 82 with max points in 8 years?

Point Creep is already starting in Wyoming like it has in colorado...

I guess it depends on what a few buds draw on elk and then I will go for the buck unit tag so I can hunt elk and deer in one camp...

Robb

I know alot of you like the pref point system ,but I do'nt .I liked it when you just had the luck of the draw system .
With the additional cost of the Pref Points You are going to have alot of money into that license.
I personally wait for the leftover list and buy something there,there are good hunting in most of the units,a big buck is where you find him !

I like bonus points but not real happy with the preference points. I wish New Mexico would go to some type of bonus point system. I'm 0-8 for elk and deer since 1999. If they had bonus points I should have drawn at least once!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-25-07 AT 10:38AM (MST)[p]the problem is, you'll only draw once then be relligated to a unit that sucks.

If you miss the first or second year of points then you're out of luck permanently for a good unit.

I'm 1/2 in NM and will have 25% odds this year on top end units. That's better than any other state I apply in and all the others have points.

Look at WY. Guys that are only 1 point down have hundreds ahead of them and in units that issue only a few tags. It will take decades for them to get drawn. Once drawn, their done because there will be tens of thousands ahead of them.
Just look at the point numbers for AZ and UT.

If you are in the top pool (2 points going in this year), hold out for a tough draw you want. You pretty much will only get one hunt like that as long as they keep the points system. Otherwise, might just as well figure on easier to draw hunts every few years. Preference points pretty much lock out those not in the top pool club for tough draws. Not fair to newcomers, but oh well......

exactly.

And as more are coming to the realization they will never hunt AZ, UT,they put in for NM. Which in turn lowers the odds of drawing, raises the prices on LO tags, and increases the need for outfitters with tags.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-25-07 AT 03:00PM (MST)[p]I am in the pool of 2 PP's. It sounds like I should list as my first choice a tough to draw unit? Then list my second choice as a general hunt for elk?

I have 2 PP's for elk and 1 for deer. My partner forgot to apply by the deadline last year for a PP. Now I am going to have to go it alone the way it sounds. I hate to go the way of the outfitter. If anyone is looking for a partner in the coming years let me know? I might need to do this.

Best case would be to draw a deer tag in a unit I would want to hunt elk in for future draws. That way I could learn the land and do scouting.

What would you guys do?

my opinion which doesn't amount to much would be to determine where and how bad you want to hunt WY.
A difficult unit like 31, 100, etc is going to be a once in a lifetime draw more than likely. Once you get that tag, you're behind by hundreds if not thousands of apps.
If you want to hunt "good" areas every other year I would do a GEN tag figuring a tag every 2 years. I would research hard to find a spot and if my intell worked out, would stay with that area, branching out each year but always having the base area to fall back on.
A aquaintence of mine hunts a GEN unit every other year and sees 350 bulls on a regular basis. He hikes in to the wilderness and hunts high, no guide. He never sees another hunter.

The general tag idea would be fine. Do I have to use that as my first choice or can I list it as my second choice? That way I still accumulate points.

I would like to take a decent deer on the trip and and elk once in a while. I am not looking for a big bull. I have a nice 325 class bull on the wall. So really just taking any nice bull would fine.

With two points this year I would have a high odds of drawing a general it sounds like.

not sure how it will work this year since the cat's out'a the bag regarding GEN as 2nd choice for max point guys.
a GEN as 2nd choice would be iffy at best.
Now that they have points it seems to me that they have separated those willing to forgo hunting for years and those that don't care about the points and just want to hunt a gen unit.

that's how I see it anyway.

Being in the max pool, If it were me (me and only me) I would probably try for a great limited unit for a cpl years anyway. I'm not in the max pool so it's gen hunts for me from here on out.

I think you made a good estimation of the situation. Since the spcial tag price has jumped I would bet more general tags are applied for.

I think I need to find a unit I might draw with 3 or 4 points and apply for that as my first choice. My second would be a general choice. Hopefully I could draw a public land hunt for deer and do some scouting for a future elk hunt.

Thank wapiti for the info.

Bob

I need some advice. Since I some how screwed up buying my points on line this summer. Iam now one point behind the max point pool.
Should I just bag Wyoming and cut my losses and spend the money in Idaho or Nevada? Made me sick when I got my letter and went back through my credit card statements. I was plannig on 5 or 6 years from now having a really good shot at some great tags. Now I feel I will never catch up. Any advice?

I burned mine the first year hunting with a friend that loves WY, So I too only have one point.

I have elected to hunt NM every year either drawing or LO tag. That's my no 1 right now. I will apply for points in WY this year at least. I also have a "few" points for AZ and UT. There are literally "thousands" ahead of me in all these states.
I keep clinging to the thought of getting drawn in one of these states but the reality is, it's just like the good looking snob in high school, she's just toying with me. When she's had enough she'll kick me to the curb.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom