Wyoming Elk Outfitter Reccomendation

Hunt_the_West

Hey guys I've been a reader of the site for a while but never joined until now. It seemed that every time I was going to signup I'd get turned off by some of the (as you say) "MM drama", but I honestly think many of you can be very helpful to others and share many of my same ideas and passion for big game hunting. With that said I am looking for a good Wyoming elk hunt in one of the general or easier to draw units. I don't usually prefer guided but with Wyomings nonresident laws I think I will splurge and go with an outfitter. I would rather go with a mom and pop type operation that offers a quality hunt rather than one of the TV outfits or one that advertises all over the web. My budget is in the 5000 range for the hunt. I am not concerned with score just a good quality hunt hopefully with a chance at a 6pt bull.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-24-16 AT 05:28PM (MST)[p]Fishawk creek mnt. outtfitters. Check them out. I wil be one of the guides

In 2013 my wife and i "splurged" on a guided elk hunt in Wyoming. We went with Yellowstone Outfitters out of Afton. Bucket list hunt for us. I can't say enough about their operation. Only drawback was the 28mile horseback ride to camp. But the rest of the hunt was well worth the sore ass. they hunt unit 60 which is a general unit that takes 1 or 2 pp to draw. If you are looking for an adventure and not just to kill a bull, this is the place. During our hunt we saw elk, bull moose, 1 wolf and 9 grizzlies. The grizzlies also visited camp at night but the dogs and efence kept them out of camp. Im 58yrs old and hunted all my life. Ive been to Alaska on a diy caribou bush plane trip. Our elk hunt with Yellowstone is the highlite of my hunting career. Highly recommend them. The hunting wasn't bad either. I killed a 330 bull and my wife killed a 270 bull. Great outfit.

Wapiti Ridge does a great general season hunt. very limited number of hunters and high success. they've taken book class bulls on this hunt. if you don't want to ride a horse or hunt rough country this is not your hunt. I haven't checked but he may already be booked for a few years.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

I too went with Yellowstone outfitters. I went twice and my wife went once. I scored on a nice 340" bull and my wife killed a nice bull. I am Personal friends with Lynn Madsen and can't say enough about their operation. It is a kick ass hunt.

My wife has been dying to go into the Thorofare for years and I've been thinking about getting it done before we get any older.

Does this outfit take a jillion hunters at a time? I'm trying to avoid that . I realize there will be other hunters but some of these outfits are too mass production for my style.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

When we went in 2013 there were 8 hunters in camp and one of the guys brought his adult son just to fish. During our actual hunting time, we never saw any other hunters except for one day,a guide and his client from another outfitter rode through. You wouldn't believe how remote and removed from other people you feel when you are hunting. During our hunting time, we never even heard another gunshot. Even though there were 5 other bulls shot while we were there. I don't believe that you will find a more enjoyable experience while hunting. If someone wants to go to the famed Thorofare, do it with Yellowstone. I promise you won't be disappointed. That is the only guided hunt I have ever taken, so I don't have anything to compare it to. In my opinion, the grizzlies just add to the adventure. Awesome animals to a guy from texas.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I took my wife and she enjoyed the hunt as much as I did. And if you take the wife it is like going on a 1X1 hunt. Don't have to worry about who the other client is that you hunt with.

Horizon, i'm looking at doing this hunt in 2017 with my son in law. What season do you recommend. Thanks, B.H.

I would think the earlier the better. due to my farming occupation I 'd be looking at later on probably.

Does Yellowstone hunt in 60? I believe that's a draw area now. I don't have a ton of points but too many to put in for 60 as a 1st choice, and I don't know if it can be drawn as a 2nd. this could be a problem for lots of guys if I'm right.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

Unit 60 is still a gen unit except for type 9 which is limited. Yes, Yellowstone hunts 60.

As far as what season, (time period), I would not hesitate to go at any time. I believe the season starts 9-20ish and runs to late Oct. Yellowstone offers 10day hunts. We went the 2nd hunt that went from 9-29 thru 10-9. As for which hunt is the best....WEATHER. MY preference would be dark nights. Be it any hunt period he offers. Other than that, I would book with him for any hunt that is not full. During our hunt, we got the weather, and when we packed out on day 7, only 2 hunters had not tagged out, and they still had 2 more hunt days. (and one of those guys had already missed 2 bulls)

When I first booked our hunt, I wanted to book first hunt because my thinking was.... "8 hunters get to pick over the bulls before we get there". From what I saw, that is not a valid assessment. WEATHER.

As far as "saving pps". Why would you save pp's to go somewhere else? Thats just me.

I want the points to get one of the better limited entry hunts because I can do it on my own there. but the reality is I probably won't build enough to do I again before I'm tripping over my beard.

Thanks for the info this sounds like a better option than coming in from the north.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

Hard to beat the Thorofare. Hunted it a number of times DIY. And then several more guided. Never came out of there without a decent bull. Many of the bigger bulls come out later in the season with the snow. This was the last couple days of the season going over the top at Pass Cr and Ishawooa Pass.

9748elkthoroexit.jpg

822elkishawooapass.jpg

Yellowstone Outfitters are a great group of guys and a top notch outfitter. I know Lynn and spent 5 years guiding just to the west of them in the Wilderness. I know they had a somewhat tougher year last season because the snow never came. Thats the thing with the Yellowstone meadows/thorofare region...The first couple hunts we are hunting "resident" elk, then once you bang away at those for a couple weeks, they get pretty damn hard to find anymore and move on. So you are reliant on the weather to push animals out of yellowstone. If the snow hits right, you could shoot a giant bull right out in the meadow close to his camp, but if it doesnt hit, you could spend the entire hunt riding 15 miles a day and maybe not see an elk. Its the unfortunate aspect of hoping for the migration. Some of the bigger bulls will usually be taken on the last hunt or two, but once again, you are entirely dependent on hoping the snow hits and the animals move, because if it doesnt, its a tough time. . The first couple hunts, you at least still get rut action, and there will be resident elk around, but those also usually sell out the fastest. I know the outfit I worked for, we rarely had a spot in the first 2 hunts for someone that wasnt a return hunter. I dont think i ever worked a first week where we didnt go 100% on bulls. and usually the second week would be the same. . . If you have the ability to go. GO. its an awesome place to see. The ride into Yellowstones came is right at 10 hours, and you will spend plenty of time in the saddle daily hunting, so get ready for that.

>Yellowstone Outfitters are a great group
>of guys and a top
>notch outfitter. I know Lynn
>and spent 5 years guiding
>just to the west of
>them in the Wilderness. I
>know they had a somewhat
>tougher year last season because
>the snow never came. Thats
>the thing with the Yellowstone
>meadows/thorofare region...The first couple hunts
>we are hunting "resident" elk,
>then once you bang away
>at those for a couple
>weeks, they get pretty damn
>hard to find anymore and
>move on. So you are
>reliant on the weather to
>push animals out of yellowstone.
>If the snow hits right,
>you could shoot a giant
>bull right out in the
>meadow close to his camp,
>but if it doesnt hit,
>you could spend the entire
>hunt riding 15 miles a
>day and maybe not see
>an elk. Its the unfortunate
>aspect of hoping for the
>migration. Some of the bigger
>bulls will usually be taken
>on the last hunt or
>two, but once again, you
>are entirely dependent on hoping
>the snow hits and the
>animals move, because if it
>doesnt, its a tough time.
>. The first couple hunts,
>you at least still get
>rut action, and there will
>be resident elk around, but
>those also usually sell out
>the fastest. I know the
>outfit I worked for, we
>rarely had a spot in
>the first 2 hunts for
>someone that wasnt a return
>hunter. I dont think i
>ever worked a first week
>where we didnt go 100%
>on bulls. and usually the
>second week would be the
>same. . . If you
>have the ability to go.
>GO. its an awesome place
>to see. The ride into
>Yellowstones came is right at
>10 hours, and you will
>spend plenty of time in
>the saddle daily hunting, so
>get ready for that.

So what you are saying,if you can get the first week, weather isn't really a factor,and the hunting would be good with the resident population. Can you give me the name of the outfitter you worked for . Thank you B.H.

My knees ache just reading this thread!

I've been on plenty of horses but a horseman I am not... for the simple fact that I begin to ache, really hurt after a couple+ hours.

On a moose hunt in Canada, I would ride the horse up to hunt moose for the day and lead the horse back several miles every night. My guide thought I was nuts (he's right) but my knees thanked me for hiking/jogging out instead of riding.

I wouldn't make a very good cowboy.

thanks for letting me rant,
Zeke

Sometimes they'll let you use your own saddle if it fits the horse good enough. I've done that before and it's worth it if it works out. outfitters tend to use cheap saddles and you can't expect them to fit you like your custom one.

30 miles is a ride anyway you look at it but it seems like pretty easy going from the south end from the pictures.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

Yep, I promise you that you will hurt pretty much all over after you get to camp on the ride in. Takes a little while just to be able to walk around after you get into camp. I grew up riding horses, bulls, and roping calves. BUT, that was a long time ago. I really don't think you could "get your ass and knees in shape", before you ride in at my age. My wife had only been horseback once or twice in her life. She hurt all over too. When we got back i had a bruise on my ass that hung around for about 8mos. My knees hurt for a pretty good while also.

However, I would much rather have gone through that than gone on a private land, ride around in the polaris, and shoot a bull. It really was a bucket list for us. It wasn't just an elk hunt, it was an adventure back in time to an awesome piece of history. The only way to get there is horseback, which if you think about it, is pretty neat.

Even with all the crap that hurt when we got back, if we get to where we can afford it again, we will both go back.

Wish I knew how to post pictures on here.

I've guided "next" to Yellowstone outfitters for awhile. I've never really been in their camp, but have ridden by it many times. They are a good bunch of guys. I see them on the trail and they are always decent and even helpful. Lynn is a good outfitter.

I would echo what mtn guide said. There are usually resident elk, but once they leave it can get tough until the park elk come out. And the park bulls take quite a bunch of snow and cold to get them moving. I'd rather hunt the first week.

Don't let the bears keep you from going. The guides in there are used to working around them.

>So what you are saying,if you
>can get the first week,
>weather isn't really a factor,and
>the hunting would be good
>with the resident population. Can
>you give me the name
>of the outfitter you worked
>for . Thank you B.H.

Yes, if you can get the first week, weather is no factor. The guides will be going to the usual opening day spots because year after year elk will be there. Only problem with first week i guess, if the weather is really hot, it could be tough because they wont stay out in the open much at all, but still, you will see elk and get into them. I like the late season hunts when the snow hits, because its something else to actually see the migration happen and hit it right is awesome. Ive seen 30+ bulls a day and passed on numerous good bulls knowing we would find a big bull. But that being said, In the 5 years i was in there guiding, i truly only saw a great migration happen 1 season. You will still get pushes of elk with some good snow fall, but the big push wont happen unless you get a ton of snow and it needs to get cold as hell, which just hasnt happened in past years before the season ends. . I will send ya a pm with the outfitter I worked for, top notch outfit as well and very reputable with many return hunters every year similar to Lynns operation...we just have a little less of a ride into camp! only 18 miles instead of 30 haha.

Thanks for all the responses. I never expected this thread to get a lot of hits but I'm glad it did and hope it helps everyone find a good Outfitter.

mntnguide would you mind sending me the outfitters info as well? Thanks.

I am not a big advocate of horse back riding. However if it gets me into to great hunting country I will do it. On my first hunt with Yellowstone Outfitters I did not realize what it was like to ride 30 miles on the back of a horse. I had been on many 10 to 12 mile trips but never 30 miles. The terrain is mild into Hawks Rest where camp is. No steep up and down. When I finally got into camp I told my wife to get all the pain meds she had. I crawled into the tent. I hurt so bad my hair even hurt. They came to my tent and said dinner was ready. I went in to have dinner and the chairs were rounds of trees like you would sit on around a campfire. When I sat down it was like someone hit me with the board of education. It hurt like hell. And at 5:00 am you are right back in the saddle ouch. I loved every minute of it and went back with my wife when she had a tag. My Dentist (Doc) was my guide and he knew where the big boy's hid out. Greatest elk hunt there is.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom