Wyoming Elk

bobberdown

Just wondering if any one hunted unit 31 in the last year or two and how your hunt went? Have max points for elk what kind of bulls you saw. Thanks and good luck in the draws to everyone

>Nobody hunted 31 lately? Thanks
>

Your chances of getting an answer on this Forum for 31 are probably less than none, LOL! There were only 2 Regular PP tags and 2 Special PPs tags issued for 31-1 last year and the odds of drawing were 1.9% and 6.25%, respectively. That's about like the member asking about unit 124 comments from the peanut gallery!

Hey Topgun, I see by the number of posts you've been here a LONG time. Hats off !! Just curious why you would mock a NR hunter seeking local input from fellow hunters. Don't want to be argumentative just wondering? As I see it , the state of Wyo will issue X number of tags to NR each year by law. I live in NM and numerous scouting trips are not realistic. I'm probably the guy your referencing seeking input in 124. To draw a highly coverted tag is a one shot deal for most all NR applicants. If I were fortunate enough to draw without question I will be in contact with the Biologist and local warden, seeking names of anyone that I have access to that has hunted the unit in previous years. I'll do all I can to gain information so that my years of waiting have a chance at success. If a MM post came through looking for info in my home state, knowing there are a very limited number of NR guys out in the field , I would help them. Not telling them the canyon I'll be hunting but I know many other areas that I could send them to that are good. Though I've never posted on MM until this year as I just retired and have time now to participate , I've probably read this forum for 10+ yrs.. Helping fellow hunters who realistically can't put numerous boots on the ground is a good thing IMHO

While thinking about this a bit more , It might be the guarded lips might be geared more towards divulging info to protect resident vs resident for tags and info. However helping NR guys via email or phone contact is I believe a Great thing to do. Please steer me straight if I'm misguided. Thx Jim

I can't say anything but second hand information about 124, but I do know a little about 31. Feel free to PM me.

Or maybe with so few tags issued to NR in those units the odds of one of those hunters being on here is very very small. Sorry no information here.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-28-15 AT 07:55AM (MST)[p]>While thinking about this a bit
>more , It might be
>the guarded lips might be
>geared more towards divulging info
>to protect resident vs resident
>for tags and info. However
>helping NR guys via email
>or phone contact is I
>believe a Great thing to
>do. Please steer me straight
>if I'm misguided. Thx Jim
>

Plenty of information is given out by PMs and on here when guys ask on this Forum, especially by myself when I think I can be of help. The post was not meant to mock the OP by any means! My post was merely explaining that he would be lucky to get responses on this Forum for his particular question due to the very small number of tags issued in that unit that I pointed out to him! PS: I'm a NR living in MI!

It's a good unit to put in for when you want to draw your 2nd choice regardless of your point status!

I talked to a resident who drew it several years ago. He scouted it over the 4th of July and said he saw over 100 elk and every one was a bull. The hunt was incredible.

>
>
>P.M me i have some knowledge
>of the unit.
>
>
>How to start an argument online:
>
>1. Express an opinion
>2. Wait

That explains a lot, I've always got a opinion but fortunately as I get older I'm recognizing that my opinion is not always accurate. Lol. I really appreciate several guys here willing to help me focus my efforts. I'll be reaching out to you. My offer to help in the Gila is sincere for those needing it.

Your Gila is an extraordinary area that everyone should venture into at least once in their lifetime. I was lucky enough to get up in there a number of weekends during the 2 1/2 years I was stationed down at Ft. Bliss back in 68-71 and just went back several years ago on a ML mulie hunt.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-28-15 AT 01:20PM (MST)[p]Yes Sir, I love being down there with or without a tag. Thx for not taking offense to my post.? genetics are great and those Big Bulls so worn down after the rut have a much better chance of surviving the winter than up north. Thx for your service Topgun. Which unit did you muzzy hunt for deer? Deer herds not great there but there are some big ones here and there.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-28-15 AT 02:03PM (MST)[p]>Yes Sir, I love being down
>there with or without a
>tag. Thx for not taking
>offense to my post.? genetics
>are great and those Big
>Bulls so worn down after
>the rut have a much
>better chance of surviving the
>winter than up north. Thx for
>your service Topgun. Which unit
>did you muzzy hunt for
>deer? Deer herds not great
>there but there are some
>big ones here and there.

We hunted in the northern part of unit 24 real close to 16B in 2010 and saw very few deer. I passed on one small forky that was the only buck I saw. I was also out in unit 15 in 2003 northeast of Apache Creek and saw a decent number of deer, but looking back I think both of those areas are best for elk, rather than for deer. I've also been up in 2b in early November twice in the last 4 years helping a friend on deer tags he's drawn there. We were over near the Jicarilla the first time and not too far east of the lake between there and Rosa Road. There were lots of deer, but we couldn't find any of the big bucks the unit is supposed to have and hear now that many folks are saying the unit isn't like it used to be quality wise.

31 is an amazing elk area. They killed some of the biggest Bulls they have ever killed up there last year according to some of the locals. I had a deer tag in that area last year and it was tough to concentrate on deer there were so many elk everywhere. PM if you need more info.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-28-15 AT 11:26PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-28-15 AT 11:20?PM (MST)

Thx Bigjake, I will reach out and pick your brain a bit. Was up scouting last Aug in 30,31,32 but it was a quick trip having 2 weeks but spent time in Nev and Utah as well. Saw lots of elk in 30 with a couple in the 320 class. Topgun I can help you in 2b for mules if you venture this way again. Need to be able to hike @ 1.5 miles and crossing one canyon but very few people go there and a couple big bucks do...lol Deer in 2b are so dependent on weather to push them in out of southern colo and the res. some resident deer there but unit is totally different if weather hits

Sent PM to a couple of you, thx in advance for a couple minutes of your time. My kids have rightfully dubbed me as Techtared so pray you guys received the private email. Thx Jim

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom