Wyoming late season tag punched

mta5672

Well, After 6 days of hunting and covering more miles than I care to recount with the help of my dad i filled my Wyoming 119 deer tag. I couldnt believe how many different bucks we looked at in 6 days of hunting. If I had to guess i would say we looked at over 100 different bucks, we just couldnt find anything better than this guy. About an hour before i shot this guy we turned up a really wide and tall 3 point that I passed. Honestly he was probably the best deer we saw. We glassed a few does out on a bare ridge and started to pick the surrounding area apart looking for the buck. I spotted him dogging a doe down in the bottom of the draw and he quickly disappeared. I circled around to the end of the ridge we were on where I could see all the escape routes. The wind swirled on me and deer started coming out of the wood work! Around 20 does and small bucks blew out but no big buck. I just sat there waiting, and wondering how he escaped, as they often do. Around 5 minutes after everything calmed down i saw antlers sticking out of a small cedar. He was laying down the entire time. He got up and gave me a really good look. I saw he had good forks all the way around and was around 26in wide. With 2 days left to hunt it was a hard decision but without seeing anything better I decided to take him. A well placed shot from the 7mag and it was all over. All in all it was a fun hunt, i think with some weather we may have had a little better luck finding bigger deer, but I cant complain. A week hunting rutting deer with my dad is hard to beat. I think its a great hunt for someone thats wants their choice of 160-170 type deer. I probably wont put in again, I like the high country way better.
http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos3/803620151110111828resized1.jpg
http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos3/893420151110124836resized1.jpg

That's a great buck! You are right though, that's realistically the top end of what you are likely to see. Congrats! Those rut hunts are really fun.

Nice buck; congrats. And you are right, hunting with your dad is more important than anything you'll kill. Thanks for the story and keep up the good work.

We saw very dew elk. One of them was a 330'ish 6 point. Nothing huge for sure. We only saw one whitetail, but we spent very little time in the creek bottoms. The lower we went the smaller the bucks got. Or, so it seemed.

I will add that the lack of weather made the late hunts a bit harder this year. But still a fun hunt to bad i most likely will never draw another tag in my lifetime. Lots of bucks and rut activity.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom