Wyoming Moose Area 27 Information

Fritz

For anyone waiting to hunt Unit 27 I offer the following:
- alot of this area is private lands. I mean alot.
- the Forest area (York Creek to Meeks Cabin)offers the most public access but is rather limited I feel.
- there is a walk in area just west of Meeks Cabin reservior (Fish Creek?) but I could not fine anyone to tell me the boundaries and left the horses at home. I was not up for a long pack job as I have done before.
- I did not go to the Aspen Tunnels because of all the domestic sheep that had been in the area most of the summer.
- You need to hunt the very last part of season because the bigger bulls leave the Unitas Mtns. and come into this area.
- Smith Fork seemed to be the place hunt talking with a couple of die hards but they were waiting for the weather push them down into the area.
- get good maps which show private and public lands which I got from the Forest Service in mtn. View.

On my hunt, I arrived in warm weather on Saturday (Oct 25th) and left on the following Sunday (Nov 2nd) with a 1 to 1 1/2 feet of snow on the ground. It starting snowing Wednesday night and did not stop until we left Wyoming on Sunday.

I did not see a moose (cow) until day 5 (Wednesday)in the walk in area. We cut two bull tracks on Friday in Smith Fork (Suicide Park)which I followed until I found them in Utah (bummer-nothing very big). Saturday we found a small bull and cow near Suicide Park (day 8). I was not going to shot because I was planning on returning for the last 5-days but I thought about the additional dollars/time, could I access the area later in the year (?), and I really wanted to help a friend on his Desert Bighorn sheep just north of Las Vegas.

The cow went into a small strip of sagebrush and crossed the road. The bull started to follow her,I thought well I can drive the pickup to him, so at 71 yards I dropped him. Backed the truck to him, started the coffee, took pictures and the rest is history. He is 33 1/2 wide 6 X 6. On the way back to camp we saw three smaller bulls.

In 8-days of hunting, we saw 2 cow moose and 6 bull moose which 2 of where in Utah still.

Here are the pictures from Fritz's hunt in Area 27 in Wyoming.
He said that this was the first Bull he seen in 8 days of hunting this area. Way too much private land.
Congrats to you on the success of the hunt Fritz and the family thing too. You can all recount the time at dinner eating those tender steaks.
fa642692.jpg

fa642690.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom