Wyoming Moose - Unit 5

inarcher

Good day.

Paul Vice from Indiana here.

I cashed in 13NR PPs for a moose tag in Unit 5. Talked with the local biologist and game warden. Putting a map order together as we speak. Since this is likely a once in a lifetime tag, I'm allowing at least three weeks for the hunt. Planning to drive out solo in late September in hopes of catching some good rutting activity.

I would certainly be interested in hearing some hunt stories and/or seeing some photos of the unit. Basically, any first hand knowledge of the unit you are willing to share. Feel free to PM me as well.

If anyone knows of a packer that works the area, I'd be interested in contact infomation. Never used one for elk, but moose is a totally different consideration.

Thanks,
Paul

I took a nice bull out of Unit 5, but almost 10 years ago. Even then, the locals were complaining about wolf depredation. Don't know whether its gotten any better since then.

I found my bull in a high boggy area just south of where the Green River takes an eastward bend into the wilderness area. Looking on Google Earth, the coordinates were about N43d15m55s / W109d58m11s.

I did use an outfitter (who I wouldn't recommend) to help with the packing. Many of the locals were high on Terry Reach out of Pinedale, who supposedly had access to some good private property holding big bulls.

Good luck.

HT

I presume if you used that many PPs to draw the tag that you're aware that at least half or more of that unit is wilderness area that you can't legally hunt in without a licensed guide or resident with the appropriate license issued by the G&F. Good luck in bagging a big one!

Yes, the NR wilderness law definitely played a factor in my decision. I'm told this unit has alot of good moose habitat on public land outside the wilderness areas.

Thanks,
Paul

Lots of moose in that area. I found a set of sheds up there snow machining a few years back. There are way more wolves and grizzlies up there though. Now that we can legally shoot the wolves it's helping but if they are in the area the animals will be pretty skidish. With that being said the moose jib area as well as the mosqeto lake area are good places to look.

I responded on the Moose section already. But again I had the tag last year. I didn't see a ton of moose, but I had a ball. Killed it the last day of the Sept with my bow. 40" 8X8. Just got the report back that it was 5 1/2 years old. Best wild meat I've ever ate. I'll be up there most of the month of Sept and early Oct killing a elk with my bow. PM me and I'll help you on line and up there.

Rich

LAST EDITED ON May-15-13 AT 10:50PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-15-13 AT 10:41?PM (MST)

Hi Paul, Congrats. I think you are in for a real treat. I had the tag in 2010. I hunted only public land without a guide and there was plenty of public land! Had a great time. I scouted for 7 days and saw 18 moose, 7 or 8 were bulls, and it was early so most were pretty small. I did see 1 big one while scouting and he turned out to be only a few miles from where I took my bull on the 5th day, maybe the same bull????????? thanks to some guys from California!. My hunt was warm around 70% until I shot my bull and then it started to cool off. Beautiful country, we did see lots of bear tracks and 7 wolfs. Wish I could do it again. More than happy to help: Hunter
I will try a pic? He turned out to be a 42" 8x9
http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/6389131.jpg

LAST EDITED ON May-15-13 AT 10:47PM (MST)[p]Huntnrich, love to see a pic of your bull. This was a hunt I have dreamed about for a long time? My bull was way better than I would have been happy with?

Good day.

Thought I would post a hunt report of my 1st Wyoming bowhunt.
Thanks to all to the good folks that responded to my questions....both on the thread itself and via PM.

Arrowed this bull on October 3rd, the eight day of my hunt...near Tosi Creek. He was the best bull I had seen to date. Shot distance was 15 yards and the recovery roughly 40 yards. Shot him in the dark timber, but he chose a thick willow patch to go down in....so I apoligize for the photo quality! He is a 38" 5X5. Haven't received the age results yet.

Honestly, did not see many moose total (8 total, 4 bulls). Passed a young bull on day four and had a close encounter with a decent bull on day six. The weather made it difficult to access several of the areas I had planned to hunt. Still, I had a blast!

7767moose2.jpg

Also, I arrowed my 1st pronghorn antelope on 9/23 in SW Wyoming.

Will be making soup with my deer tag. Saw several mule deer while moose hunting, but nothing that I really wanted. Had a few more days to hunt...but with 300lbs of fresh moose meat at camp in grizzly country....I thought it best to call it a hunt.

Thanks again!

4185paul_lope.jpg

Good day to you Mr Vice!
You did very well on your hunts!
Congrats of a couple fine trophies and thanks for sharing your success. I'd love to see more moose pics if you have them.
Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Nov-06-13 AT 02:12PM (MST)[p]Thanks Flint.

I can't take any credit at all for the photo. The photographer was Bill Allard, I believe he goes by Buglin'Billy on this site.

Appreciate it Zeke.

Wish I would have had Bill along on the moose hunt! Unfortunately, that is my one and only "trophy pose" with
the bull moose. He died in a nasty thick willow patch and
I had to cut alot of willow brush just to get that shot. The
skull/rack is currently still in Wyoming...beiong chewed on by beetles, so I can't even offer an after photo yet.

Paul

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom