Wyoming mule deer area 34

Riley7/08

I was wondering who hunted area 34 for mule deer this past fall and how you did? I’m thinking of applying again this year, I know it’s not what it used to be

But to be fair the guys crying about 34 couldn’t kill a big buck in Dec on the winter range given the chance.
You can’t kill what’s not there to kill whether it’s December or June for that matter.

34 is struggling due to winter kill a few winters ago. Granted there are deer/bucks there but the age class to have big bucks is obsolete.

You can’t kill what’s not there to kill whether it’s December or June for that matter.

34 is struggling due to winter kill a few winters ago. Granted there are deer/bucks there but the age class to have big bucks is obsolete.
One of many excuses not to get it done. One could use also one of the following:

1) drought
2). Warm weather
3) WYGFD
4) outfitters
5) other hunters
6) full moon (I chit you not, people blame the moon)
7) predators

List goes on.

Do you think they are giving too many LQ tags?
Depends on the year and the area and what they are trying to do I have never seen them manage for trophy deer around here. They like to wait till there are hardly any deer left before they drop quotas and they raise them right back up as soon as there is any signs of recovery because they manage money not deer

Depends on the year and the area and what they are trying to do I have never seen them manage for trophy deer around here. They like to wait till there are hardly any deer left before they drop quotas and they raise them right back up as soon as there is any signs of recovery because they manage money not deer
Might be worth showing up, Task Force or local District meetings. Nothing will come from discussing it here, but yeah, they don't manage for what you and I call a trophy around here.

I hear they manage for trophy in Utah. And the weather is nicer.
Yet many flood into Western Wyoming to go deer hunting every 6 or 7 years, a few every year if they find a gullible buddy. They then return home and draw a Premium LE deer licenses in their supposed trophy home state once every 30 years……Weather is relative when it’s 120 in St. George in July……..

Might be worth showing up, Task Force or local District meetings. Nothing will come from discussing it here, but yeah, they don't manage for what you and I call a trophy around here.
Yea I've tried that before in different meetings they don't care what the average Joe has to say

They were steadily raising deer tags in 34 for several years 200 went to 300 went to 400 before G&F realized the winter previously was pretty hard on the deer and antelope one year to late imo.. I can't remember the exact number of tags might be off 100 but I am pretty sure they were ready to dump either 400 to 500 tags in 34... Bookhead I have always thought the same thing every time G&F see the deer are recovering a little, they through more tags to the area and its usually not just a few either...

Still waiting for people to honestly reply to a question about a unit by saying “it is amazing”. The answer to any question regarding deer quality,even the best in the state, seems to be it sucks, not worth applying, not worth the points, etc

May just maybe no one is going to be honest and screw these odds. This is a zero sum game, unless you are a poacher (not a green light to poach, Utah boys and girls).

They were steadily raising deer tags in 34 for several years 200 went to 300 went to 400 before G&F realized the winter previously was pretty hard on the deer and antelope one year to late imo.. I can't remember the exact number of tags might be off 100 but I am pretty sure they were ready to dump either 400 to 500 tags in 34... Bookhead I have always thought the same thing every time G&F see the deer are recovering a little, they through more tags to the area and its usually not just a few either...
You're better than saying things like jims, you should more accurately portray the truth. What you say is kind of correct, but let's see what really happened:

All the way back in 2000, there were 500 tags issued in area 34. We can agree, times were better, very large deer were being harvested by diehard hunters. Then between 2001 through 2011 the quota was lowered to 350. 2012 & 2013 lowered again to 250. 2014 & 2015 lowered to 150.

Then we see the trend upward, due to several years of high fawn crops and yes, the G&F wanting to take advantage of that.
2016-200
2017-200
2018-300 dumb
2019-350 dumber
2020-300 dumb
2021-200

FYI the biologist during these last years is no longer working big game, but things in 34 are looking fairly dire right now. That goes for every LQ area around Casper. IMO

Last edited:
I am so sorry for miss quoting those numbers next time I will take a minute to search WG&F for the correct info... But I had some things to take of.... I did speak to the biologist namouras time and in winter of 2019 she had plans of upping the tags to 400. The reason I was calling her was to voice my concerns of not see the quality of bucks after the seasons were over while I was out coyote hunting...

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom