Wyoming/New Mexico draw questions?

W

whitetailaddict

If I understand New Mexico's draw system, once your name is pulled you are given up to 4 chances, is this correct?

For example, say my name is drawn 100th, they go to my first choice-if there are tags left, I am given one, if not on to the second choice, and so on until my choices are up, if not drawn then my application is basically discarded. Is this correct?

Can nonresidents apply as groups for New Mexico?

For Wyoming, from my understanding, it is different. Let's say I pick unit 7 Type 1. For '08 in the random draw, there was 28 NR tags available. Well there were 1556 applicants for those tags, so if they were already gone by the time I was drawn, what happens? Obviously I don't get a tag, but do they do like NM and go to your 2nd choice from there, or does your application get thrown into another box, for the 2nd round (choice) draw? This is my understanding. If this is correct and my 2nd choice was, let's say 16 Type 1, which had 3 tags available, but 361 first choice applicants, that means all those tags were gone in the first round and I have no chance anyways, correct? Then my 3rd choice was unit 5 type 1, which had 3 tags and 87 apps first choice, and 25 second choice, and mine was one of 4 in the 3rd choice. Pretty much seems like my only chance to draw was on my first choice, on that set-up would I be correct in looking at the draw this way?

In Wyoming, say we want to have a group of 4 apply as a group. Say we apply for a unit that had only 3 tags available this year, what happens? If drawn, do we all get tags, or do we not even have the chance to get drawn? Or something else?

Again for Wyoming, can one apply for a unit, without using their preference points, and still draw your first choice, and buy an additional preference point for that year? I am thinking it would be random draw with preference point option, if possible?

All of this is hypothetical, as I have not yet applied for any Wyoming or NM tags elk tags. I do have 2 Wyoming points. but am thinking of trying to bank them for a few years, and do the random draw in Wy (if possible), and bank on NM as a back-up, and then ID/CO as back-up-backup options.

Just trying to get my ducks in a row and everything sorted out. Thanks to any willing to help.

WTA

you get 3 chances for the unit and weapon you pick for that species...so say you want to hunt deer.. you can fill out a application that goes like
1st choice: Unit 2a der-#-### oct 27-31 any legal sporting arm
2nd choice: Unit 2b der-#-### jan 1-15 bow only
3rd choice: Unit 10 der-#-### nov 8-12 muzzleloader only
4th choice: quadrant of the state such as NW,SW,NE,SE and for the same weapon as choice one..

so in your first three choices you can pick the date, unit and weapon to apply for, the 4th choice is mostly hunts nobody applies for, such as a depredation or odd ball hunts. They decide the unit and time.

If all your choices are full, then your application is discarded and you are unsuccessful for the year.

Yes you can put in as a non resident with a group of new mexico residents. 4 people can apply or attach applications to where if one name is drawn, all 4 guys receive the tag also

You can only put in one application per species per year. so you cant put in 3 choices at a time on multiple applications for the same species of animal..

Hope that helps

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom