Wyoming/New Mexico draw questions?

W

whitetailaddict

If I understand New Mexico's draw system, once your name is pulled you are given up to 4 chances, is this correct?

For example, say my name is drawn 100th, they go to my first choice-if there are tags left, I am given one, if not on to the second choice, and so on until my choices are up, if not drawn then my application is basically discarded. Is this correct?

Can nonresidents apply as groups for New Mexico?

For Wyoming, from my understanding, it is different. Let's say I pick unit 7 Type 1. For '08 in the random draw, there was 28 NR tags available. Well there were 1556 applicants for those tags, so if they were already gone by the time I was drawn, what happens? Obviously I don't get a tag, but do they do like NM and go to your 2nd choice from there, or does your application get thrown into another box, for the 2nd round (choice) draw? This is my understanding. If this is correct and my 2nd choice was, let's say 16 Type 1, which had 3 tags available, but 361 first choice applicants, that means all those tags were gone in the first round and I have no chance anyways, correct? Then my 3rd choice was unit 5 type 1, which had 3 tags and 87 apps first choice, and 25 second choice, and mine was one of 4 in the 3rd choice. Pretty much seems like my only chance to draw was on my first choice, on that set-up would I be correct in looking at the draw this way?

In Wyoming, say we want to have a group of 4 apply as a group. Say we apply for a unit that had only 3 tags available this year, what happens? If drawn, do we all get tags, or do we not even have the chance to get drawn? Or something else?

Again for Wyoming, can one apply for a unit, without using their preference points, and still draw your first choice, and buy an additional preference point for that year? I am thinking it would be random draw with preference point option, if possible?

All of this is hypothetical, as I have not yet applied for any Wyoming or NM tags elk tags. I do have 2 Wyoming points. but am thinking of trying to bank them for a few years, and do the random draw in Wy (if possible), and bank on NM as a back-up, and then ID/CO as back-up-backup options.

Just trying to get my ducks in a row and everything sorted out. Thanks to any willing to help.

WTA

you are right about new mexico and wyoming as far as the preference point in wyoming I don't Know? as residents we are not eligible to get them for deer, elk, and antelope. New Mexico if they draw your name and go down the list of your hunt choices and issue the first one that they have available. In wyoming its almnost a waste of ink to fill in a second choice!

Be careful of 4th choices in NM. They are for unfilled tags ANYWHERE in the region you select. For example it could be a cow hunt in Dec. The first 3 choices are looked at to see if there are tags availible then your 4th choice is to fill unfilled units/hunts. A revenue source for the state and a very iffy tag since it went unfilled.

Not sure you can apply in WY without your PP counting. And if drawn, you lose em.

If I'm wrong on any of this, please correct me.

Post this in the elk forum and you'll get tons more response.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom