Wyoming Non Resident Elk

NebrCatMan

First off just a short hi to all. My son and I are from a neighboring state (NE) and he finally has enough vacation time built up with his job that we can go for a week long hunt to a western state to bow hunt for elk. He was in the army reserves and did two tours in Iraq. Needess to say that took up about 8 years of his life ( and took off a couple from his ole man) so now at 33 he finally gets to go bow hunt the rockies. I have been in Colo. on 3 DIY over the counter hunts and was in NW Wyoming on a DIY rifle hunt 4 or 5 years ago. I pretty much have the Colo. points and permit mess fingured out. We may go to Colo. for an over the counter DIY hunt or maybe Wy. My question is for anybody from WY, can he get a permit to bow hunt elk in a good area or have to apply for 15 years to build up points first. Any comments for a first timer to your state? Thanks

LAST EDITED ON Jan-11-14 AT 12:46PM (MST)[p]I'm not a resident, but feel like one since I hunt out there every year and have for a couple decades. To do a bull hunt it will be almost impossible without at least 1PP to draw a General tag that's good in approximately 50 units. There may be a few leftover tags that go on sale in July, but they are usually in very tough units. Your best bet if you just want to get a hunt in this year with your boy would be to apply for a reduced price cow tag in an area with decent public access. Other than that I guess you could put in for the draw for a bull and hope for the slim chance at drawing a tag in the random draw that doesn't use PPs. IMHO your best bet would probably be to try the OTC tag in Colorado that you stated you already have figured out. If I'm forgetting something, I'm sure somebody else will come on to offer advice. Also, tell your boy thanks for his service from all of us here on MM!

Im also a nonresident on the outside looking in.

I agree with Topgun, getting a tag with 0 points in the regular draw is impossible, only 80% of applicants WITH 1 point in 2013 actually drew. The only way you can get a general tag is if you get lucky in the random draw or if you apply in the special draw (extra $$$), not the regular draw.

Having 1-3 points opens up a lot of elk country for a non-resident. So unless you get lucky or fork up the extra cash, you may be a year out from drawing a general tag. Draws may also get a little more difficult this year with the HuntinFool advertising Wyomings general elk tag as a great tag to apply for.

I wouldn't want to bank my hunting season on a small chance that I may draw a tag. If you are open to looking at other states then Wyoming or Colorado, you may want to take a look at Montana. The last few years there have been left over general unit buck and bull tags after the draws and on into the hunting season. Montana isn't what it used to be for mule deer hunting, but in my opinion, the state had an extremely good year last year for elk as far as quality bulls go. So you can always have that in your back pocket if Wyoming doesn't work out.

Lastly, thank you to your son for his service.

Wyoming has a regular price non-resident elk license for $591, they also have a Special priced tag for $1,071. You can't draw for both, you have to choose and only draw for one of these.

The draw odds the above posters are discussing are for the regular price license, the special price license is 100% success with zero preference points and it has been this way for a few years.

These General Area tags are for any weapon but the season dates may differ between archery and rifle and the season dates between Areas will vary also.

So if you want to pay $1,071 for a tag you can draw and go hunting with zero preference points.

Thank you to your son for his service!

Put in the "special" draw for a hard to draw tag with GEN as a second choice and you should draw. Possibly a great tag. With the archery permit, it will cost you each around $1100.

Otherwise, buy the PP in July and you have a good chance of drawing a first choice GEN tag next year at the cheaper tag price of around $600 (assuming there is no price increase which some say is likely).

LAST EDITED ON Jan-12-14 AT 12:04PM (MST)[p]>Wyoming has a regular price non-resident
>elk license for $591, they
>also have a Special priced
>tag for $1,071. You can't
>draw for both, you have
>to choose and only draw
>for one of these.
>
>The draw odds the above posters
>are discussing are for the
>regular price license, the special
>price license is 100% success
>with zero preference points and
>it has been this way
>for a few years.
>
>These General Area tags are for
>any weapon but the season
>dates may differ between archery
>and rifle and the season
>dates between Areas will vary
>also.
>
>So if you want to pay
>$1,071 for a tag you
>can draw and go hunting
>with zero preference points.

***You could pony up the extra money like was stated in the High Price Random Draw and get a tag, as I forgot about that draw. However, where guys used to put in for the Special Price PP draw with a hard to draw first choice and drew the General tag as a second choice with 100% odds, it changed to less than 100% last year. As mentioned, it may get worse with Garth Carter touting the tag as a good one to go elk hunting without builnd a ton pf PPs.

>Thank you to your son for
>his service!
>
>Put in the "special" draw for
>a hard to draw tag
>with GEN as a second
>choice and you should draw.
> Possibly a great tag.
> With the archery permit,
>it will cost you each
>around $1100.
>
>Otherwise, buy the PP in July
>and you have a good
>chance of drawing a first
>choice GEN tag next year
>at the cheaper tag price
>of around $600 (assuming there
>is no price increase which
>some say is likely).

***That would not apply to the Random Draw they would be in with no PPs. See my post above because what you stated wasn't 100% last year as a second choice for the first time since NR PPs started 8 years ago..

Gunner; the Special Gen is still 100% as a 2nd choice. The Special Random draw stats don't include the quota balance draw.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-12-14 AT 01:49PM (MST)[p]>>Thank you to your son for
>>his service!
>>
>>Put in the "special" draw for
>>a hard to draw tag
>>with GEN as a second
>>choice and you should draw.
>> Possibly a great tag.
>> With the archery permit,
>>it will cost you each
>>around $1100.
>>
>>Otherwise, buy the PP in July
>>and you have a good
>>chance of drawing a first
>>choice GEN tag next year
>>at the cheaper tag price
>>of around $600 (assuming there
>>is no price increase which
>>some say is likely).
>
>
>***That would not apply to the
>Random Draw they would be
>in with no PPs.
> See my post above
>because what you stated wasn't
> 100% last year as
>a second choice for the
>first time since NR PPs
>started 8 years ago..

Hopefully, WapitiBob will chime in. Everyone who put in for GEN as 2nd choice in the "special" last year drew the tag. In fact, some drew as 3rd choice. The stats don't show it, but there is a third draw if the NR quota of tags issued is not met. These leftover tags go into the GEN pool and are run through the "special" GEN applicants first and if the quota still isn't met, the "regular" GEN applicants next.

EDIT: haha, Bob and I were typing at the same time!

Sorry, I stand corrected, as I thought it was not quite 100% last year on the second choice deal. I should have looked for sure before I typed---MY BAD!!!

>Sorry, I stand corrected, as I
>thought it was not quite
>100% last year on the
>second choice deal. I
>should have looked for sure
>before I typed---MY BAD!!!

TOPGUN, You are not alone. The draw stats show not everyone drew 2nd choice, but there is info missing and that is the quota draw. Bob is the only one I know of who was able to weasle that info out of the WY G&F.

Yep, that explains it, as I thought I remembered the stats in that one draw showing less than 100%. Anymore you have to be a damn PHD to get everything figured out on some of this draw stuff, LOL!

Just a thought, but you could put in for either a limited quota unit or a general tag and hope to draw in the random pool. If not, you aren't out much, buy your preference point, go to Colorado and try to draw WY next year. No doubt you and your son are going to want to do these kinds of hunts as often as possible.

Good luck to both of you and tell him I appreciate what he has been doing for all of us back home!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom