Wyoming Sheep Draw Date?

440sixpack

LAST EDITED ON Apr-16-14 AT 07:39PM (MST)[p]I know it says May 8th but last year it was about a week early wasn't it?

Stay thirsty my friends

Are you anxious or what? Praying to draw? Still holding out for area 5 or did you apply for another spot this year. With the points you have every unit except for 19 and 12 should be no problem. Keep us posted on who decide to hunt with and good luck Dean.

I went with area 3 this year, I have 16 points and last year 86% with 16 drew. this year? who knows but I should have a shot at it.

I think I'm getting to the point where most guys with 17 and 18 points are going to hold out for a top unit. so us 15 and 16 point guys should have a better shot at the next level of quality . that's my theory anyway.

I'll be going with JJ, hunted elk with him last year and everything was like you always hope it will be. couldn't ask for more.

Good luck to everyone who's not in for area 3.

Stay thirsty my friends

Good luck 440!

I'm a couple clicks back on points and hold very little hope for a tag.... but my time is coming (might be a few years yet).

Good luck to all you guys. Things are about to get exciting for sheep, bison, goat and moose hunters in the Great State of Wyoming!

Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Apr-17-14 AT 05:31PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-17-14 AT 05:30?PM (MST)

Dean,

86% chance and you are worried? Your post is exactly right, the high point holders are mostly waiting for the top three units. Myself with max pts. included, points this year only for me. Points last year as my daughter's wedding was in late Sept. Points this year for me as she will draw an antelope tag with her points.
Good luck, I have heard great things about Justin. Sheep hunts are special so enjoy it.

Well that was 86% last year, but I'm counting on not much point creep.

The tag cuts didn't effect area 3, in fact I think they added tags. question is how many people changed their application after the tag number cuts came out and before the deadline this week?

I suspect quite a few 16 point holders to draw, but if one doesn't that's usually me.

Stay thirsty my friends

May 1st 10am? Are you saying...? How do you know?
I'm pulling for you.
Zeke

Sounds good to me. The wait is almost over.
I looked earlier today at the website so I'll have to peek again.
Thanks,
Zeke

I'm excited but at the same time I don't want to get my hopes up. I'm like Charlie Brown trick or treating, I get a lot of rocks .

Stay thirsty my friends

>I'm excited but at the same
>time I don't want to
>get my hopes up.

I'm use to that. I've been married for 40 years+/-.
Zeke

(Can you tell I'm a bit excited? ... but ready for the let-down since I've gone through it every year in many States. Like I said, I'm married! LOL)

The G&F blocked the "points" part of their site. I wanted to say goodbye one last time to my points before I drew a tag but I wasn't allowed to see them.
They said that part was shut down in perpetration of the draw results release at 10am tomorrow.
Only 12 hours 16 minutes to go!
Zeke

How many points and what are you in for Zeke?

We even put in for Mt goat this year. fat chance but what the hey.

Stay thirsty my friends

I got what the little boy shot at.

I'm a point collector I guess.

Stay thirsty my friends

I failed to draw again. On to 2015 with 19 NR bighorn sheep points.

Of particular interest in this year's draw (assuming I have read the Demand Report correctly) is that not one of the 16 non-resident holders with MAX 19 points carried over from 2013 applied in the 2014 draw. That's right... zero.

There were 43 bighorn sheep permits drawn by non-residents in the 2014 draw. The distribution of these permits by preference-point class is:

NR Preference Points / 2014 BS Permits

19 / 0
18 / 14
17 / 15
16 / 6
15 / 5
14 / 3

With the removal of those drawing permits in the 2014 draw from the pool going into the preference-points only draw, the distribution by preference-point class (higher points only) is:

NR Preference Points / NR participants

19 / 16
18 / 52
17 / 64
16 / 123
15 / 134
14 / 433

We will have to wait until the results of the preference-points only draw are released later this year (usually about November) to determine how many of the above NR participants will carry over to the 2015 draw.

HT

No way chewy!! haha

Toss me an Email or PM and I will go scouting with ya man.

so very happy for ya.

Robb

I got your email chewy. You know that's the unit I hunted so when you want, we will "chew the fat" about what I know.
Very excited for you my friend.

Chewy , congratulations on the tag.

HT - of those 3 tags drawn by the NR with 14 points, were they all ram tags? Or were they ewe tags? I thought that 14 points was not enough to be in the game this year. I am not the proud owner of 15 NR points.

Bill

The three NR sheep tags drawn by holders of 14 points were all ram tags, including 1 in Unit 6 and 2 in Unit 8.

Regarding the Random Draw, I do not believe there is any way to determine the preference point classes of those drawing those tags, at least not from the published information. It is probably safe to assume that most, if not all, of the Random Draw tags go to applicants with 14 or fewer points, principally because that is where most of the applications come from.

Thanks fellas. I will cherish every moment of it since it most likely will be my one and only crack at a sheep. I'll hopefully have some beautiful pics to share!

Congrats Chewy, Thats awesome. I know exactly how you feel. I could take your post and put my name to it and it would be accurate.

I drew area 5 in the random draw.

For you guys wondering I had 1 pp.

Good Luck to you Chewy.

Nocwalker.

1 point?! You just won the lottery! Congrats. You'll be hunting right next door. We'll have to keep in touch. Good luck to you as well. That must have been one heck of a shock to read "SUCCESSFUL" on your screen. Probably got light headed :)

A couple fine sheep tags in great units for good MM guys? Could it be better than that? (well, only if i would have drawn a random unit 5 sheep tag too. haha)
Congratulations guys!
Zeke

I'd be interested to see how you do in 4 this year, I could have drawn it this year and I probably can next year. my outfitter has 2 hunters in area 4 this year who turned their tags back last year or I would have. he wasn't confident taking that many hunters in after the die off so I tried for area 3.

I bet you do pretty well as long as you're on the north end of the unit.

Stay thirsty my friends

Bighorn, I've never been to Wy, this is my first go round. 20 yrs ago I didn't have the foresight or the money to apply and gain pts. I'm so far behind that it is a true suprise and shock to get to hunt a Bighorn Ram. I really thought I would never get to do this. I still can't believe I'll be out there in Oct trying to get an arrow through one.

I'm honored to be be one of the chosen one's eventhough it was just dumb luck thats it's me. I'll do my best to hunt these animals with the respect due to them.

Chewy, I'll send a Pm to you, Lets talk.

A recap of the draw.

I checked for the results at 10 amEST Knowing it was MT when they would come out, I was right, I'll have to check at 12 noon est. At 12:05 I made it back into my office and went to the Wy site to confirm the same as every year. The page came up and it says, Unsuccessful-- Goat, and Successful Sheep 005-1.
I look away and look back--Succ- sheep, I look away and look back Succ - Sheep. My thought is there must be a mistake, that can't be. I stand up and am stairing at the screen, I must of had a wierd look on my face because a co-worker comes charging into my office and says, You alright-you alright-whats a matter, what happened? I think I may have drawn a sheep tag but, there must be a mistake!

I text my wife, "I might have drawn a sheep tag" "What do you mean you Might?" "Well, it says I did but it must be a mistake"

I print the page, and call F&G. I get a lady that sounds elderly. I tell her that it says I drew a sheep tag but that seems unlikely, she's now giggleing at me and says she can check. I'm fumbleing for my CID number and can't pick it out, she takes my name and zip and confirms that I drew a tag. I finally let myself believe it.

My hands shook for the next 15 min. I went to lunch made some calls on the way(hands free). I must have been full of adrenilin, had trouble concentrating placing a lunch order. Tried to eat couldn't, had to put it away after two bites.

Word spreads fast, I get a call from a friend that drew a moose tag (14 yrs). He ends up asking me if its a ram tag or a ewe tag since he knows that I don't have the points to draw. Crap, here we go again! My stomach is turning thinking that maybe I screwed up when I did my app. Back into my office, I had to check, and finally confirmed "RAM" a few minutes later. I finally ate 3 hrs later.

Its kinda funny looking back at it now, Whew, what a ride just drawing the dang tag. Bet Chewy felt the same things.

Thanks for listening guys, nocwalker

Noc,
That's the kind of excitement that I like to see when a guy draws a coveted tag.
Dammit, a guy should be too excited to eat for a few hours.
It's like winning the golden ticket within the lottery!
I'm excited for you guys! (and happy I drew a moose tag)
Zeke

nocwalker, that's classic! I like how you printed it out, as that's what I would have done just to make sure that I could prove what was on my computer screen at one time. (you know, in case the website blows up or the entire www fails forever).:)

Eel

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom