Wyoming Sheep Story

sharpshooter

Guys,
I wanted to take a minute to thank all of you on this forum for you advice,suggestions and knowledge of sheep hunting and all that goes along with it.
I drew a tag this year and had a great hunt. The memories of that hunt will last a lifetime.
Thanks to a few of you ( Zeke and others ) for your input and kind words.
I don't think I could have really prepared for what was at stake without your knowledge. It was spot on and much appreciated especially for a first time sheep hunter from the east!
I wanted to let you guys know that I did write a story about the hunt in this months, Jan. Huntin Fool, " Rams in high places".
I hope you will get a chance to read it as it is as much your story as it is mine.....
I think you can even vote for it if your a member( I could use a new pair of binos for my next sheep hunt ;)!
Thanks again for all the help!
8779113.jpg

Congratulations Mr. Shooter!
I would read your story but I let my HF subscription laps. Perhaps you can "tease" us a little with some info about your hunt.

OK guys here it is in a condensed version.
I drew a Wy. area 7 sheep tag last year. I just couldn't wait any longer for a " top " unit. The sheep hunting stories, age and my kids getting ready to start college had me really pressed to get a tag. I knew if I kept waiting something would come up to give me a reason NOT to hunt sheep.
I applied... I drew. I started to try and get in shape all summer. Walking, biking, anything to get the cardio up. In the end I don't think it helped me one bit as IMHO, NOTHING can prepare you for that type of sheep hunting... whew!!! I'm from NJ at sea level so it was especially bad running, climbing, horsing, eating, drinking and sleeping at higher altitudes than I'm used too. Saved a lot of money on alcohol though!
I hired Dustin Child to take me on the hunt. Great guy and well prepared. Did his homework and hooked me up with another great sheep hunter/guide, Bo Morgan to help out on the hunt.
Saw a lot of sheep, I wanted to shoot everyone of course, but Bo held my ammo until we found what we were after.Hunted for 5 days, saw a 11 year old ram on the 4th day but couldn't get on him in the timber. I soon realized that just taking a sheep would mean so much to me. A lot can go wrong and realizing that I may go home without one if I kept after the 11 year old that we just couldn't turn up again. Day 5 I spot my sheep on the very highest ridge on the mountain range. I mean RIGHT on top!
We judge him at 7-8 years old from a long way away. I like his look and really want to put him in my trophy room. We start our stalk from 8000 in the late afternoon. I get to 400 yards with about 45 minutes of shooting light left. Can't get any closer.
I take the shot and it's a done deal.... I eventually get to him right before dark at 10,00 feet. I really can't describe how it felt to grab those horns and hold them in my hands... they were everything I could have ever asked for. Couldn't believe how heavy they were. We sat on that mountain a long time that night just enjoying everything it had to offer. I can say that I have really never felt so satisfied. The score, the age, the color the weight... none of that mattered. It was the experience and everything about that 20 year wait that made me so thankful and blessed to experience it. I now realize what the sheep bug is. There is NO WAY I can explain it, those sheep hunters know and now so do I. Keep applying.... it will be soooo worth it when you get that tag. Enjoy the journey, it's a big part of it.
Thanks again for your input and advice guys.PS. I hunted the first of October after the area was hit by that major snowstorm. Made for some interesting hunting!!!

Great ram and great story Joe. gotta love that country don't you? I can't get enough of it. I have 16 points so I'm right behind you.

I saw your story in the fool, well done there as well. I was hunting in southern Utah about 12 years ago with a guy with your name, was that you? he looked somewhat like you but had darker hair as I recall.

Stay thirsty my friends

Hell yeah, that was me! See what 12 years does to you.... turns your hair gray! Don't remember calling you 440sixpack though, LOL.
Give me some details!!
You will be hunting sheep sometime very soon! If ya need some company give me a holler, love that sheep hunting!!

DD,
I'm taking a guess here but I never forget a pretty face... I am actually looking at a pic of you and the SPEAR bull on my office wall right now. Hope you are well. Stay in touch.

I was being a smart azz with the grey hair, but you must be doing good if you're hunting sheep I remember you had some problems back then. did you go back after elk there again? I lost track of our boys but I have the points to draw that tag now I'm pretty sure. but I don't know if I want to from what I hear.

I am going with after sheep with the outfitter my wife took her WY bull with as soon as I can draw. I expect this year or next year depending on which unit I try for.

My wife was just wearing one of those hats you gave us the other day in fact , she kept it for one of her go to town hats.

Congrats again on your ram and story that's as good as it gets. I'll pm you my email we'll have to compare notes.

Stay thirsty my friends

I did'nt know Glenn Beck hunted sheep....just kidding but you do look like him.... Nice ram and good story...congrads. nothing like sheep....

Good He!! AW, Joe is better looking than Glenn!

It's a small world for sure. Kinda cool reading that you guys spent time in hunting camp together.

I read your story again in HF. I could feel the emotion of the hunt (or I was just going on recall from my past hunts).

Again, Well done Joe!

Zeke

Zeke,
I dropped my HF subscription, so can I borrow yours?
Sounds like Joe's story is one worth reading.
And the Hunting World is pretty small, considering we are all brothers at heart.
Cool to see old friends connect!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom