Wyoming unit 21 Private Land Access?

bigbrowns

LAST EDITED ON Mar-06-14 AT 12:32PM (MST)[p]Does anyone know of a decent ranch that I can get access to hunt Buck & Doe. I'm hoping to find a ranch that I can camp on. I would really like to find something under $400. Any help would be appreciated.

I would be willing to help out anyone with Az info if needed.

Adam

It would help if the guys knew whether you're asking about deer unit 21 se of Gillette or antelope unit 21 south of Kaycee.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-07-14 AT 06:52AM (MST)[p]Since you've had no response for a particular place, I'd call the G&F Office in Casper for a list of ranchers in the area you're talking about if you're dead set on hunting 21 for some reason. They should have one and may be able to email it to you to save some time. IMHO you'd be better served to do what you're talking about in unit 23 where all the tags are very easy to get. It's a much bigger unit and your chances of taking animals would probably be 100% compared to down in 21. If you decide on that, you should call the G&F Office in Gillette that handles that area. Getting the ranch will be the harder thing for that price, but if you can take care of that ASAP you'll be able to buy the tags as leftovers all the way up through the hunting season. That also saves $14 on each one since they drop the application fee for them. It's also a unit that allows 4 does per hunter and there are always buck tags left to take a second one if you have spare cash.

The reason I put in for 21, is because I've talked to several people who have had great hunts on the public land in 21. I'm planning on scouting the public land first, but If I cant find any good options I'm planning on finding a private ranch to hunt on.

Thanks,
Adam

P.S. If anyone has a better option on a second choice unit that has better public land access than 21 please send me a pm.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-07-14 AT 11:20AM (MST)[p]>The reason I put in for
>21, is because I've talked
>to several people who have
>had great hunts on the
>public land in 21.
>I'm planning on scouting the
>public land first, but If
>I cant find any good
>options I'm planning on finding
>a private ranch to hunt
>on.
>
>Thanks,
>Adam
>
>P.S. If anyone has a better
>option on a second choice
>unit that has better public
>land access than 21 please
>send me a pm.

***Your PS message now has me somewhat confused when you now say you are asking if there is a better second choice than 21. Are you trying to save PPs with a hard first choice and then putting 21 as your second choice or are you putting 21 down as your first choice? The reason I ask is if you are counting on 21 as a second choice and set something up with a rancher there, what are you going to do if by slim chance you draw your first choice in the random draw. I know one member here put a hard to draw unit as a first choice to save his PPs last year and hunt another unit and he ended up drawing in the random and ate his tag because he couldn't hunt the dates of the tag he drew! Just trying to let you know to cover all the bases and possibilities so you get what you want!

Yes, I'm hoping to draw 21 as my second choice. I'm not planning on confirming with any ranchers until I find out about the draw. From what I understand I have very little chance at drawing my first choice, but should be guaranteed to draw 21 with 1 PP.

I've been told there is some decent public land in 21. Just in case I have a hard time finding any public land, I would like to find a couple of ranches that I could pay to hunt.

I have hunted 21 about 10 times and filled 100% of our tags. The trophy size is not there and 12- 13 inch bucks is what you should expect. We harvested one 15 inch buck there in the past. What I saw with the private was it is all tied up with guides. I might be wrong but what I have learned is they charge around a $1000 for trespass and $1500 and up for guided. If you want more info PM me. One ranch when we was there 3 years ago let you hunt for the land owner coupon tag. We signed in on the second day of the season and was the 118th hunter to sign in. Didn't kill any animals on there property but did cross it several times to access locked up BLM and state land.

DZ

LAST EDITED ON Mar-07-14 AT 02:50PM (MST)[p]>Yes, I'm hoping to draw 21
>as my second choice.
>I'm not planning on confirming
>with any ranchers until I
>find out about the draw.
> From what I understand
>I have very little chance
>at drawing my first choice,
>but should be guaranteed to
>draw 21 with 1 PP.
>
>
>I've been told there is some
>decent public land in 21.
>Just in case I have
>a hard time finding any
>public land, I would like
>to find a couple of
>ranches that I could pay
>to hunt.

***That's a lot of if's just to save 1PP! Just realize that the better places are either leased or people have them locked up well before the draw even takes place when they put in for a unit as a first choice and know they will get it in a unit like 21. IMHO it's very iffy to do what you're talking about to wait until after the draw hoping you get a second choice tag and then hoping you can gain access that late in the game. That's just something to think about along with always having the possibility of drawing your first choice whether you want it or not like happened to the other guy I mentioned earlier.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom