Wyoming Unit 92 Antelope

M

MulieKing

A friend and I were in unit 92 today scouting for Antelope and most of the goats seemed small to us (8-11" horn length). We only saw two decent goats out of the 50 or so that we located. Have any of you hunted this unit in the past? If so, would you mind mentioning areas that you found decent goats in the past. Thanks for your help.

Keep in mind that the last several years in that area have been severe drought. Them goats are hatin' life right now. I didn't even put in this year.

92 isn't a trophy unit so realistically you are looking at the best buck you can get would be around 14 to 15". There are a few bigger ones but it would be a rare find. My mother drew the same tag you did, we are going to hunt the NE part of the unit that borders a trophy unit.

Good luck

EL

PS we have had a wet year this year in WY and the antelope look great, but with all those years of over-hunting theres hardly any left compared to what there used to be.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-06-03 AT 10:58AM (MST)[p]I agree with Younghunter. Wyoming gives out too many tags and in most of the units the goats just don't live long enough to grow big horns. AZ and NM are a lot drier than WY, yet those desert goats tend to grow some awfully big horns. It's all about age class.

It's all about GENETICS, age class, and nutrition. Many areas in the southwest (NM & AZ)have a super duper gene pool and goats grow huge there despite the desert environment. Drought still greatly impacts the horn growth, though.

Sweetwater County has a good gene pool too. It needs more moisture and less harvesting.

Sounds like you guys are after WY Game & Fish for over harvesting. You are not the only ones. Keep after them.

Im so glad to hear of some other hunters that feel the same way i do. I mean honestly you can get 1 any antelope tag here in WY and then buy TWO additional doe/fawn tags. I mean sure drought does play a role, but honestly, when are we not in a drought???? There are a lot of factors that tie in with low population but I seriously believe the biggest factor, and maybe one of the few ones in this situation is overhunting!

Here is b and c buck i helped a guy get last fall here, there are big bucks here in sweetwater county, just gotta get lucky and get the right tag.

paul1.jpg

Here is what you most likely will see in 92.

bucklooknatme.jpg

Are you trying to bum me out or what EL? I have been trying to draw an antelope tag for five years and after your posts I am having a hard time staying excited about the hunt. This is going to be my first antelope hunt and I hope to be able to find a respectable buck. I have to admit though, that most of the bucks that I saw on Saturday were about the size of the baby buck in your pictures. We did find two that were around 15" with good diggers and mass and I hope to be able to locate them come hunting season. I was hoping to chase the goats with archery equipment but after my scounting trip I am re-considering that. I couldn't locate a suitable location to set up a good stand. There is just too much water in the area this year. EL it looks like you know what you are talking about and that is a great buck that you helped take last year. Good luck to you and your mom this year and I hope you spook a few my direction.

I didn't want to bum you out, I would love to just draw an antelope tag. There are a few nice bucks around, just gotta hunt a little harder in 92 for them. If I was you I would head to the eastern part of the unit, because the unit right next to 92 is unit 60 which is a trophy unit. If you are lucky you will catch a few of those nice bucks in unit 92. Also there is less hunters in that part of the unit. Good luck and be sure to post your results!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom