Wyoming's new preference point system

Thanks for the heads up. Gonna be really hard for some to play the game much longer.

Think we can cash in all of our moose and sheep points.....:)

Maybe I'll put them on ebay. I can only imagine what they'll be worth in 10-20 years!!!

Well we knew it was coming. Sheep point 100 dollars x 15 years is $1,500.00 plus 3k for a sheep permit in 10-15 years. Moose will be about the same. For Sheep, moose, elk, deer, and antelope $295.00 a year plus application fees will be well over 3k in the next 10 years just for points. Let alone the tag. Slim chance of drawing top units without points. NON-RESIDENTS, LIKE MOST STATES ARE GETTING THE SHAFT. Colorado and NM are the states that are still reasonable in the west. I wonder what the price of points in Wyoming will be in 5-10 years? Very disappointed. I do a side job for some extra hunting money. I have two son's coming up that like to hunt. Won't do two side jobs.

I feel it a signs of the times! price a good steak latly?
Gas will never go to $40 a barrel!
EVERY AREA DRAW WILL HAVE SOME LUCKY PERSONS HIT W/OUT PTS!(97% of area that is). Except some BULL ELK areas, most you can hit as an nonres every other year! So pay and play or just complain about it!
I feel this is an moment of truth for nonres hunters to get a given chance at an great BULL ELK area over just a few years instead of ten years plus and now I can be rewarded for applying every year and not just starting from scratch every year like everyone else! The shaft is given to the residents! We have it made compared to those folk!
JACK

OUCH!
Too bad a guy's income didn't increase as much as license fees, bonus points, gas, equipement, guns, guides, trespass fees, etc.
This is an expensive hobby, even when is invovles an animal I will probably never get to hunt (sheep).

Lien2

Rackmaster, you must have more money than most sportmen. The point I was making is the average hunter or average die hard is getting priced out of hunting. Just to apply for tags Idaho $128.50 plus application fees, NV $200.00, Arizona $140.00, now wyoming over $300.00 for sheep, moose, elk,deer, and antelope for points and application fess,let alne the tag. These license fees and bonus point costs are making it affordable for about 20-30% of hunters. When you put in for hunts in seven or eight states it makes it very hard to do. If you have kids that like to hunt it makes it very hard to afford. Do you want to help your kids get through college or do you want them to have a sheep tag in 20-25 years? Making hunting only for the rich guy is not good for hunting or it's future. I have lived in England. Only the rich hunt. I would hate to see it turn this way over the years. I don't know how this is good for non-residents??????

Huntin100,

I don't know if it helps or not Greg but the preference points system is optional. There was some debate about whether or not preference points should manditory and the G&F Commission chose to make it optional. Those that want to pay for their points will buy them at a premium. I have thought about the current mix; 75% goes to maiximum points and 25% goes to a general pool which includes everyone which applied. I have wondered if that mix should be changed to reflect more of a 50/50 chance.

I haven't had a chance to talk about this yet but thought it might need to be revisited.

this drawing year, 2005, I started applying for Wyoming sheep and moose points for my oldest son who is 12 now. I did not apply for them for myself, but thought that if I started him now maybe some day he could get a chance at one of those tags himself. With this new pricing I'm pretty sure that I won't be able to continue applying for those points for him or his younger siblings. $7.00 was probably to low, but $100.00/year for 1 sheep point per year seems rediculous to me.
Scott

Bob, I know it is not mandatory to buy points. Study the chances of drawing a moose or sheep permit through the random draws. I study draw odds on alot of hunts in alot of states. If 75% goes to max points you will have a very slim chance of drawing without playing the bonus point game. Odds are going to be at least one and 100 in the best units. Paying for special non-res fees odds are usually only slightly better in most units. I bought a lifetime CC permit for my two boys ages 6 and 11 for wyoming as well as myself. Wyoming isn't loosing winter range like some states. It has a bright future for hunting. I could see maybe 40-50% of permits going to max points, but 75% in my opinion is way too much. When non-residents find out what there odds are at drawing without points and can't afford to buy points they will give up on wyoming. Sheep and moose are once in a life time hunts often. Deer, Elk, and Antelope are hunts that you can have fun with your family. Changing the system to 75% of hunts go to max points (people who have the $$$$) will kill alot of family hunts. Right now for the top deer, antelope, and elk units odds are less than 10% chance of drawing in the regular draw. With the change of now only able to draw 25% of the possible tags without bonus points what are your chances of drawing??? Slim. I can afford more than alot of my friends. I put in for 7-8 states and 30 hunts/points. I just think we are going to loose more hunters over the years because of money. I would think it would be good idea to re visit the allocation of permits for elk,deer, and antelope. Especially,with the big jump is cost for points. Thanks, Greg

So if you apply for a moose or bighorn tag instead of buying a preference point and are unsuccessful, you will still earn a preference point, but they will subtract either $100 or $75 plus $12 application fee from the orignal amount submitted for the tag?

Ed

the thing i liked about Wyoming is it was the one state that i applied to that i had just as much chance to draw as the next guy.( for deer and elk)

SOME OF THE LESS THAN WEALTHY HUNTERS ARE JUST GOING TO HAVE TO PICK WHERE THEY WANT TO HUNT INSTEAD OF APPLYING FOR ALL!
I have a bud that had a tag or more 6 states(2 in OR,1 in ID,4 in WY,2 in CO,1 in NV,2 in CA.)!!!!!!!!
Thats crazy to me and most without using points!
THATS THOUSANDS FOLKS! and the risk of applying every where!...
rm

LAST EDITED ON Jul-19-05 AT 05:56PM (MST)[p]I feel the preference point system will eliminate seniors that are on fixed incomes and don't always have as much time to wait to get drawn.

I don't like WY system because it's simliar to CO & OR where you need to get in on the ground floor (the first year) or wait 10+ years to get drawn. I'd prefer a system where the points increase your odds of drawing but not allocate the tags (75%) to max point holders. I'll play the game but lost my hunting partner in the mean time cuz he just can't afford it.

Wyoming Game and Fish doesn't give a rip! They really don't care if we apply or not. They know their licenses will sell out, sure they might lose a few people who apply each year but after a few years the numbers will be equal to what it was this year and they will make a lot more revenue with these Preference point fees! I know of many hunters who wrote the G&F and expressed our feelings but it fell on Deaf ears and not only did they not listen, they raised the fees higher then what they told us to begin with.
McKinney aka Hiker

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom