X-7B

Packmule

I have a buddy from the Marine Corps that drew this rifle tag this year. Anybody willing to share any advice on some tips for this unt? This will be his first mule deer hunt and I will be going along on the hunt with him.

Mike

Great zone. I have scouted it numerous times, but never hunted it. Deer numbers are rebounding, but older bucks remain rare. If you are not familiar with the zone, then I would expect a great hunt with the goal of spending as much time as possible in the field learning the unit. You should have opportunities at 18-20 inch deer, but I would hold out until the end--partly to enjoy the hunt and partly because there are some much better deer. Get out, smell the sage, hunt above the water sources, and use your glasses. I would hunt the east side at high elevation. Good luck and let us know how you do.

I've hunted it a few times. The eastern slope holds less deer, but it serves as a migration corridor leading into Nevada. If storms or snows hit, head east. Otherwise, stay on the west slope, as it holds much more deer.

Thank your buddy for his service...

Yeah it used to be a trophy zone but like all zones in CA and many other western states it has gone down hill.
That being said my successful hunt there last year brought me to some important info, the best bucks we saw were off limits, we saw bucks everyday though most are forkies or three pointers, there are LOTS of other hunters most on ATVS or driving around, the deer use the lakes for water and the bucks were in every type of habitat and cover from down low in the sage up to the ridges where they bailed off the back side. It was pretty dry last year and even worse this year, so look for the water. Bring good glass and use them, hike away from the roads and pick apart the cover in the shade or along the routes they use to go to water. It is a pretty big zone but most of the hunters we saw and the bulk of the deer were north of I80 and the hunters were around the easy roads and campgrounds.

Stop Global Whining

Don't worry about it being dry it just got done snowing over there and it has rained heavy a few times through out the summer conditions are prime for good antler growth, bitter brush is green with lots of sprouts and that stuff makes them grow fat.

No luck. Saw 15 Does this morning, and 8 yesterday. Going to keep after it for another five days. Anyone have any luck, or care to share a tip or two.

I hate to generalize, but if you are in a lot of does and fawns, then you are probably not in the bucks (yet). Until the cold weather hits, it has been my experience that bucks usually seek out different country than do the does. Locate open country. Seek out deep, hidden valleys that few will enter and expect to find bucks in the most isolated parts, especially among the large boulder patches. Good luck, and don't hesitate to hunt the east side that looks "to dry" to hold deer. They are there.

Thanks for the tips. I was able to finally score. Days one through three all we saw were Does (and lots). Moved to a different area, and things changed. Ended up shooting a three by two on the fourth morning of the hunt.

Once again thanks Bullskin for the post.

Good to hear, Davio. Did you catch him on the east side? What was your terrain like? Did you find other hunters with game?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom