X10 help

K

KRasmussen

I drew an X10 tag and have never hunted there before. I am curious what the general consensus is and need some info on where to start looking? I am not looking for your secret spot. I also do not have a 4wd vehicle so access may be limited and I can see a lot of hiking and spike camping this year.

IMHO, not a great choice of X tags. Very steep, very dry and few roads with access. Best to go in near Kennedy meadows or Rockhouse basin and hunt along the Kern river. All the OHV access is well mapped.
Or hike up from 395 from the east side. Buck numbers are usually low, best very late when weather brings them down. In a year like this one it will be VERY dry and water will be a premium, do your scouting looking for springs, seeps or ponds that still have water. All the usual spots are well known and get the attention. I always hike away from the trails, roads and look for deep canyons or pockets that other would pass up.
Good luck...

Stop Global Whining

I am aware that X10 is not great, but its close to home. I live on the west side and will be entering from Sequoia NP and Sherman Pass area. I did have a chance run in with a few guys running cattle in the area and they are saying they have never seen it this dry so early in the year. They were able to point me a direction of a few springs and some watering holes. I do plan on hiking in as far as I can and get as high as possible to glass. Hopefully it will all pay off.

IMHO, if I drew this tag, this year, I would head up toward hell for sure, Jordan hot springs or blackrock area from the west side. The kern river will have water for sure and the roads access takes you in, then hunt the canyons dropping down to the river.
Or I would hike up from sage flats and hunt along the spine or from the cottonwood canyon south, which is what I usually did in the past. This zone is not easy but they do gets some nice bucks during the late season hunt.
This year being so dry, getting info from those cattlemen is a great score, as they move their stock to where the best feed and water is
Good luck...

Stop Global Whining

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom