Yamaha Grizzly 400 4X4 or Honda Rancher 400 ES 4X4

Trophy_Taker

I want to get a mid size ATV for trail riding and hunting and have narrowed it down to the Grizzly 400 or the Rancher 4X4 ES. I have never had a liquid cooled ATV so I am concerned about that. How does air vs. liquid cooled compare? My other concern is each of these bikes fitting into a short bed pickup with the tail gate up. I need to make sure that the one I buy will fit into my truck. Overall considering these two options what are your guys opinions? Also are dealers willing to come off MSRP much or is there not much mark up? Do any of you have any input of good or bad experiences with Yamaha and Honda dealers on the Wasatch front?

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think the grizzly is made in a 400??? Could be wrong. I have a 2000 Yamaha Kodiak 400 that has been an excellent machine. I have never had a signle problem with it. It fits in the back of my truck, runs like a dream and has more power than one man would ever need. Anything bigger than a 400 is a waste of time and money in my opinion. You will find plenty of Honda supporters as well but I've owned both and prefer Yamaha. Plus I think they are priced better.

MOST NEWER YAMAHA 400'S,450'S,660'S & 700'S ARE CALLED GRIZZLYS!!!

THE REASON TO GO TO A 450 IS IT HAS NEARLY EVERYTHING THE BIGGER MACHINES HAVE!!!

DIFFERENTIAL LOCK IS DAMN WELL WORTH HAVING!!!

NOT AVAILABLE ON THE 400'S!!!

I AGREE,A GUY DON'T NEED ANYMORE THAN 400 CC'S!!!

I'M NOT MUCH OF AN ATV'ER BUT I'D DAMN SURE SPEND THE EXTRA CASH ON THE 450!!!

AND NO falloutwest!!!

I'M NOT KNOCKING YOUR 400!!!

IT BEATS THE HELL OUT OF THE OLD MOTO-4 200'S & 225'S!!!

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

I have a 2003 Yamaha Big Bear which is a great machine, I like the new Big bear even better because it now includes rear independent suspension and a fron locking differential. I like the old school 5 speed tranny. It will run quite a few more miles on the same fuel as the auto. It's drawback is top end speed is low '40mph.

Looking over Yamaha's web page http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/products/modelspeccompare/536/1674/0/compare.aspx It seems they have done away with the old Kodiak and called most of them Grizzly's now. to get the locking front differential you will need to go to at least the 450.

Hope this helps,

BeanMan

I have had a Honda Foreman and currently have the Rubicon. I also had a Yamaha Grizzly 660. The Honda's I have had, knock on wood, have been bullet proof in maintenance and repair. I never felt comfortable side hilling on the Grizzly. The Yamaha rides much better than the Honda. Independent Rear Suspension on the Grizzly. I would own both. My next purchase will be the Yamaha Rhino. I would purchase a Honda if they made something equivalent to the Rhino.

Do not purchase it or anything else from Tripe S Polaris! The customer service sucks! Only my Opinion.

"Keep yer powder dry n yer eye on the skyline!"

LAST EDITED ON Sep-26-07 AT 05:34PM (MST)[p]See Elkslyr's post...

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID28/151.html

Anyway, yeah "Kodiak" doesn't exist anymore. We have two 2005 Kodiaks (450cc). We love them! They have exceeded our expectations. Although Honda is a good machine as well.

Thanks for the replies guys. I ended up going with the Yamaha Grizzly 450. I decided that for the extra money the 450 was better than the 400 for me. The upgrade from 400 to 450 gives you low range and a locking differential.

You'll love it!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom