YEA BABY, AZ SHEEP 46B

T

toddrice

It took a long time but it finally happened. I thought when I moved out of state that I would never get to hunt Desert Sheep!!!! But I will be this December!!!! Anybody have any current info on 46B???

Way to go!!! Unreal deal for you! Did ya just stare in disbelief at the screen for a few minutes when you saw 46b?? haha ENJOY!

No 45c tag for me.......haha greedy bugger anyways!

Todd Rice, Congrats on that ram tag. Kill a big one. A question for you. I saw on previous post that you bow hunted unit 10 before. I drew the November rifle hunt in Unit 10. Any tips, suggestions ? I have hunted the west extensively and live in blacktail heaven here in Cali. Willing to share whatever I know in exchange for any info you might have. I have seen your pictures in the hunting magazines, so I know you have good info. Any help greatly appreciated and will return the favor if I can.

Woody

Congrats...46b is a great unit, especially if you like BIG country. It's the most awsome desert country there is!! They have had some problems with illegal crossings as of late.
That part of AZ. is as far from no where as you can get.
The Cabeza" has some special regs. invold, but no problem.They also have some hug rams.
The guy from the ADBSS that handels the Refuse ie Brian Dolen.
he can help a bunch. i have his # somewhere???
I took a sheep in 46a in 91" I love it down there!!!!
DH

Thanks guys, DH please e-mail me or call with any info you have on the Cabeza, Woody, call me 253-549-7334. I will put you in the right spot for your unit 10 hunt.. The last hunt I ever guided in AZ was unit 10 2000,. I had 3 hunters and we killed two bulls 365 and 345. A tough hunt, not alot of elk, but a chance at some hogs thanks TR

Todd, Congrats on the tag! 46B is a great area. It's BIG country and there is only one road that cuts through the unit. Be prepared to walk! Most of it is not hard, it's just far. We guided a hunter in there last year. In 10 days of hunting we covered 119 miles (by the GPS). There were a fair number of sheep. However, the big ones can be difficult to find. Four hunters combined for 34 total days of hunting. Four rams were taken. One scored 140, one was 128, a third one was 140, and our hunter killed a 167. The mean score for the unit was 144 and the mean age was 5.8 years.
The Cabeza is a beautiful place. As you probably already know, there are some details with permits that you will need to take care of. Also, be aware there is quite a bit of illegal traffic down there (both people crossing, and, drug trafficking). You need to pay attention to what's going on and be careful.
If you would like, feel free to email me [email protected]
Congrats!
Mark

A mean score of 144 is a disgrace for that unit. And the illegals won't even be a factor to consider. The drug trafficing is about 0. I've spent months in the Mohawks, Gilas, and Tinjas Altas. The only thing to worry about or concentrate on during this hunt is the sheep. The border patrol will be there in full force like always. The only details with the hunt will be with the Barry Goldwater Range, and there is nothing to that. A GOOD hunter, which you are, will kill a big ram - that's why you put in for that unit!!! I don't know what the point was for MBools post.

My post was simply a response to Mr. Rice?s request for information. TreborKent, you and I can agree that unit 46B is capable of producing a better mean score that 144. However, the facts are what they are. For their sake, I hope that last year?s hunters are proud of their once-in-a-lifetime Arizona rams, and, I'm sure they would take exception to your description of their ?trophies? as a disgrace. I'm sure Mr. Rice has his own standards of success and will hunt his hunt as he sees fit.
As for the illegals and drug traffickers, I'm glad that you have never had issues. I sincerely hope that Mr. Rice has no issues. Last year we saw quite a few fresh tracks (both foot and vehicle) that indicated some level of illegal activity. That said, we actually never saw anyone except hunters and border patrol agents. However, just because you don't encounter trouble doesn't mean that problems don't exist. My words were simply meant as a warning to the wise.
Based on your post, it appears that you have spent some time in the National Monument and surrounding areas. Therefore, you're probably aware of the tragic 2002 shooting death of Park Ranger Kris Eggle in neighboring Organ Pipe National Monument. How about the deaths of the 14 illegal aliens back in May 2001? The issues are real enough that six to eight additional solar-powered rescue beacon signal systems have recently been built, and, more aerial patrols have been initiated. I don't mean to mean to imply that there is a ?bad guy? behind every creosote bush! However, that part of the state is rather remote. Anyone going down there should just be aware of their surroundings.

Here are a few links and quotes I found interesting:

http://www.azstarnet.com/border/20908PERILOUS-FEDSKNEWD.html
A 1999 National Park Service report to Congress told them that "armed confrontations, brandishing weapons and shoot-outs" were occurring "with significant frequency" around four parks on the U.S.-Mexican border.

http://www.azstarnet.com/border/20909PERILOUS-ENVIRONMENT.html Legal visitors to Cabeza Prieta must sign a "hold harmless" form that warns of the hazards of "one of the most extreme environments in North America." Around 2,000 legal visitors sign that permit annually - about how many illegal border crossers passed through the refuge in one week last year.

http://www.yuma.usmc.mil/Services/RANGE/Visitor_.htm INTERNATIONAL BORDER Due to the proximity of the border, illegal alien and drug smuggling activities may occur. Avoid any encounters with individuals suspected of these activities while on the BMGR/CPNWR.

http://news.fws.gov/newsreleases/r2/F0ABE3A8-FAF4-4303-83EABEB84BE9211.html
Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge has seen increased trafficking of drugs, as well as migrants across remote wilderness areas.

http://www.kvoa.com/stories/4/4132003_3.html 14 stranded illegal immigrants died of dehydration or heat-related injuries in May 2001 on the Cabeza Prieta refuge.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2002/8/11/160259.shtml The National Park Rangers Lodge of the Fraternal Order of Police has issued a list of the 10 most dangerous national parks. Organ Pipe has topped the list each year, "due to numerous incidents involving international drug trafficking, inflow of illegal aliens, and a workforce that is understaffed to safely manage the problem ... The park also reported that drug and alien smugglers had created miles of illegal roads in the park. There are too few rangers to safely handle this workload."

Mark

Trebor, Mbool was trying to be helpful and he did not need your slam. You dont know him or how much time he spends on wildlife issues. If he is wrong about something, he would be the first to apologize. He works closely with the game department and sits on a board that spends money enhancing habitat that you and other hunters use. There is a huge statewide water project he is helping coordinate with the game department. I guess you slamming him pisses me off. His hunter took a respectable ram. and Mbool guides for one of the best respected sheep guides in the state. Pete Cimarello. Pete and Mark put a ton of donated time into helping sheep and therefore hunters........... Allen Taylor......

Hey Guys, lets just try and get along! Remember this is about ME shooting the biggest ram in the unit!! TR. Hey Allen did you draw anything?

Mark, your post is well taken. I apologige for being so curt and argumentative. Thank you for being so diplomatic in your response. TK

LAST EDITED ON Jul-29-03 AT 04:37PM (MST)[p]Todd: I drew fourth choice 36c deer and nothing else. I have never killed a sheep so was daydreaming about that tag or unit 1 Elk but alas only coues tag. My 10 year old drew the same tag as I did so I will have a ball scouting and helping him get a nice deer. I will also help in Duwane Adams elk camp again for unit 1 so I will get to see some big bulls again. I hope you kill a monster and really have a good time. p.s. our homes are now reversed, I am from WA and live in AZ while I believe you are living in WA and from AZ......take care.........Allen Taylor......

Trebor, sorry about going off, I respect Mark and sat on ADA with him and saw all the work he puts into banquets, clinics and the like and jumped to cover his back.....respectfully....AT....

Kent, please e-mail me [email protected] I would like to talk to you about the 40b/46b border, how best to get into the country, sheep population, where to glass from and size of rams ect. thanks TR

Allen, My wife and I along with our three children live on Fox Island. Fox Island is just 5 minutes from Gig Harbor. What a change fro Az as you probably know! At first I really missed Az, but as we live here it seems to grow on you. Last weekend we went to Sekiu salmon fishing, what a blast. I was standing on the side of our boat trying to get a 40lb halibut in as a gray whale was swimming about a 100 yards out, when one of my best friends called from Az to tell me how hot it was!!!!! Life is sure good. Good luck Sincerley Todd Rice

Todd, that island is a beautiful place. If my memory serves correctly, Dixie Lee Ray a former Gov. of Wa. lives there. I was born/raised in Olympia and fished the sound alot in my steelhead boat/jetsled. Fished alot of the rivers like cowlitz, kalama, toutle etc......nice country but I am growing fond of AZ and the perfect blue sky's most days.....I live in Mesa up in the groves and its really nice here too. Kill a monster ram....... Allen Taylor......

LAST EDITED ON Jul-31-03 AT 06:46PM (MST)[p] Yea Allen, I do miss the BLUE sunny days!! Do you have any info on hunting whitetails in Wa or Idaho ?

Not really anything you havent heard already. There are monsters over NE like pend oriell county or spokane area. I had friends that hunted east of the mountains on private property but I never went over there. I would bet you could get a landowner list from game/fish and call for a tresspass fee over there and probably not have much trouble shooting a decent one.....sorry I have no info.... Allen Taylor......

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom